Introducing PlayStation Classic, with 20 Pre-Loaded Games

Aranea Highwind

Well, most of the games I was interested in are still part of my physical collection which I can play on my PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP (with some effort).

What kinda surprises me is the fact that they only provide replicas of the original controller and not of the DualShock 1. I know there were only a few games which required the additional buttons and analog sticks but at least for more "modern" racing-games (everything from 1998 and later) supported it. And IIRC that also means there will be no Ape Escape on the collection as that was one of the games that requires the additional input-methods.

24 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Yeah, nobody liked PlayStation. It's like Phillips CDi and Atari in 2018. /s

Never said Sony was unpopular or insignificant - my point is that Sony cannot compare to Nintendo when it comes to being a videogaming “pioneer” company. There’s a nostalgia around the old Nintendo machines that you cannot find with Sony yet, they should have waited longer before going into this...

But I suppose it will sell, and money cannot wait ;-)

Edited by Neef-GT5

As much as I cherish my time with the PS1, going back to early 3D games is a bit of an eyesore to me.

I'm no graphics-whore, but IMO sprite-based games age a little better than polygon-based games.

This is why I got the SNES Classic, because I never had one (I was playing for team Sega at the time, hehe).

This is a nice novelty product, but I think I'll pass on this one.

The launch price aint' helping either ?...

• Like 3

This won't have trophy support, so get that out of your heads. 

Ridge Racer Type 4 being included is awesome, my favorite racer on the PS1. Me and and friend spent hours trying to unlock the fastest car in the game which we dubbed "the rocket car". Good times, I'm so old, can't wait to see what other games they include. 

Edited by Venocide

Not using DualShocks I see. That cuts out a load of the later games, no Ape Escape for instance which is quite pricey on disc these days. It’s a cool little machine but I have a feeling the library will be nothing groundbreaking. May as well just get a PSone (slim) for a fraction of the price. Probably about the same size too. ?

I have the weird feeling that this won't sell well. The problem is that early 3d games do not look good today unlike 2d games from the 16 bit era. A n64 mini would suffer from the same issue. Besides that, I don't know for what audience this is. Definitely not for people at this forum who are already able to play ps1 games on multiple consoles. If you are a collector, it's another story but besides that?! I just don't believe that there are many people out there who loved the console back then, forgot about it, avoided Sony, wanna buy it now and at the same time skipped the ps2, the ps3 and the vita to actually play games from this era (not even taking about other ports for the PC or other consoles). The PS TV is also another great way to play ps1 games. It's smaller and you can use wireless controllers

On another note, I really dislike that they put Tekken 3 on it but never put it in the PSN-store due to some alleged copyright issues revolving around Gon? And now it's possible? I don't know, this whole concept seems off and 100 Dollars is also not a good price.

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I hope it has Tomb Raider, Legend of Dragoon and some other kick ass games. I'd say Crash and Spyro, but... don't see that happening, particularly with the remakes.

edit; "*AC adaptor sold separately"

Well that's stupid.

I read somewhere that smartphone chargers are okay.

1 minute ago, Lance_87 said:

I read somewhere that smartphone chargers are okay.

I read a tweet that said they do this to make shipping world wide easier... which would make sense honestly. From what I know, these cords aren't really expensive to include. But if you have to mess around with different production skus just to include the right regional cord, that would drive up costs I suppose.

Still don't like it, but I can understand it from that perspective. And if it does just use pretty much standard stuff then it's not a huge deal.

• Like 1

A hundred bucks?!?! I'll pass.

38 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

If only it comes with a DualShock... also LOL @ people expecting trophies. What a dumb excuse to boycott this...

Are "I'm boycotting!" and "I'm not buying" synonymous now? I always feel behind on the latest internet trends.

5 hours ago, AlchemistWer said:

Xenosaga? Suikoden? No! Final fantasy VII! I’ll pass for now until some awesome games come on this new cute playstation. ?

You probably mean Xenogears. I'll let that insult pass.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

The PS1 was my first console so I definitely want this. I doubt I'll even use it since all the games are almost certainly available on the PS3 store, but it would be cool to have in the collection.

5 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

One thing I find curious is that the replica controllers they are including with this one doesn't have the analog sticks. I'm aware they didn't add those until later on the console's life cycle but I find the fact that they are not included here kind of, well, simply weird.

Yeah, I found that strange too. I mean the analog sticks objectively improved a lot of games. I can't even imagine playing something like MGS1 without the Dualshock. Speaking of, if MGS1 isn't one of the 20 games, we riot. :devil:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

The PS1 was my first console so I definitely want this. I doubt I'll even use it since all the games are almost certainly available on the PS3 store, but it would be cool to have in the collection.

Yeah, I found that strange too. I mean the analog sticks objectively improved a lot of games. I can't even imagine playing something like MGS1 without the Dualshock. Speaking of, if MGS1 isn't one of the 20 games, we riot. :devil:

I wish Tekken 3 was on PSN, but it isn't. :( This just rubs salt in the wounds.

6 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I wish Tekken 3 was on PSN, but it isn't. :( This just rubs salt in the wounds.

Oh, it isn't? Well, I guess there's some value to be had in the pre-loaded games this thing has after all. Sucks that you have to buy a $100 console just to play it, though... There's no good reason why PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility with PS1.

• Like 1

Soo.. what is the difference between this and PlayStation TV?

oh -

- PS TV can have up to 32GB internal storage on 1 memory card

- you can pair it with Dualshock 3 & 4

- it can run PS Vita games from carts

- it can run PS Vita, PSP, PS Minis and PSX games bought in PS Store

- it has same size and HDMI output like PlayStation Classic

- and it can stream games from PS4!

- And it can RUN Twitch app and Youtube and internet browser too.

- so basically PlayStation Classic is a slimed down, locked version of PlayStation TV LOL

But package is good

Edited by Kristmas2
  • Like 3

I'm not interested as long as they don't get some rare gem in that game list. 

I still have my PSOne up and running, and I still possess 2 out of 5 games they have already announced...So unless it gets on with something I can't get to play legally it may stay on a shelf.

Still, I can't see what kind of game they could add to make me change my mind. I managed to find even an European version for Legends of Dragoon, my PSOne collection is quite complete on its own...