Introducing PlayStation Classic, with 20 Pre-Loaded Games

Aranea Highwind

8 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

I think PS4 BC on PS5 is pretty much a guarantee, but I think we're still another generation away from proper PS3 emulation (thanks Cell!)

I think so too. As for PS3 backwards compatibility, I don't know enough about technology to know if emulating PS3 games would be possible or not for the PS5, but I'd still be very disappointed if it didn't. My ideal version of the PS5 would be something that is backwards compatible with all previous PlayStation consoles, but I know that's a pipe dream. :P Still, if Xbox can do it, I don't see why Sony can't, even if the Cell processor of the PS3 is a big technical hurdle.

• Like 2

I just bought a pre-owned PS1 a few weeks ago, so I don’t plan to buy “another” PS1. If most of pre-loaded games are also available as PS1classic on PS store, then it’s pointless so buy this PS Classic unless you want a “cute” PS1. Besides, pre-loaded games = digital games except downloading, I would rather to hunt physical games instead for collection purpose.

I won't get one unless it has Digimon world 3 or a bunch of rare games not available on PSN. I still have my PS3, so I could just turn that into a PlayStation Classic, but with more/better games.

If they had 40-50 games, I'd consider it for $100 even if they were available on PSN. 20 for $100 isn't much of a deal, especially since I already own FFVII on PSN.

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I won't get one unless it has Digimon world 3 or a bunch of rare games not available on PSN. I still have my PS3, so I could just turn that into a PlayStation Classic, but with more/better games.

If they had 40-50 games, I'd consider it for $100 even if they were available on PSN. 20 for $100 isn't much of a deal, especially since I already own FFVII on PSN.

PSone games are either $5 or $10 on PSN. How is 20 for $100 not inline? That’s essentially makes the hardware itself free. 

I like what their doing. Everyone seems to be doing it now to catch in on the gold. But I rather stick to buying the games on my digital account and playing it on PS4 or something. 

6 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

PSone games are either $5 or $10 on PSN. How is 20 for $100 not inline? That’s essentially makes the hardware itself free. 

I own quite a few PS1 classics on PSN already. I'm sure there will be some more duplicates which is why I said I'd consider it if it had rare games that are hard to find and not on PSN. 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:12 AM, Undead Wolf said:

I think so too. As for PS3 backwards compatibility, I don't know enough about technology to know if emulating PS3 games would be possible or not for the PS5, but I'd still be very disappointed if it didn't. My ideal version of the PS5 would be something that is backwards compatible with all previous PlayStation consoles, but I know that's a pipe dream. :P Still, if Xbox can do it, I don't see why Sony can't, even if the Cell processor of the PS3 is a big technical hurdle.

Even modern PCs still struggle with proper PS3 emulation, Xbox can do full BC it because they didn't use very complex exotic tech like Cell in 360 like in PS3 and they have an amazing BC team to boot. It's one of the reasons why Sony finally went with 86x architecture with the PS4, I expect BC in subsequent PlayStations from here on out. I don't see a reason why PS1 and PS2 games will not be BC either on PS5, it's just that I think PS3 games will always be the exception for a little while longer, further proving how much of a mistake the use of the Cell processor was as it's still biting Sony in the ass 12 years later despite the massive success of PS4.

I'm all for surprises though! Hell, my pipe dream is having a slot on PS5 for Vita games lol

Edited by Death_Ninja

5 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

Even modern PCs still struggle with proper PS3 emulation, Xbox can do full BC it because they didn't use very complex exotic tech like Cell in 360 like in PS3 and they have an amazing BC team to boot. It's one of the reasons why Sony finally went with 86x architecture with the PS4, I expect BC in subsequent PlayStations from here on out. I don't see a reason why PS1 and PS2 games will not be BC either on PS5, it's just that I think PS3 games will always be the exception for a little while longer, further proving how much of a mistake the use of the Cell processor was as it's still biting Sony in the ass 12 years later despite the massive success of PS4.

I'm all for surprises though! Hell, my pipe dream is having a slot on PS5 for Vita games lol

True, but you have to imagine actual Sony engineers would do a better job creating a PS3 emulator for static hardware like a PS5 than the enthusiasts making an emulator for PC. As far as I know, the Xbox 360 emulator for PC still isn't where it needs to be despite its relativity simple hardware, yet the Xbox One runs these games flawlessly; even better than on original hardware. I wouldn't write off the possibility of PS3 emulation on PS5 until we know more about the console.

As for playing Vita games on PS5... yeah, no way. :P Even if by some miracle it did, games that relied on the Vita's features like the touchscreen, rear touchpad, camera, etc, would be unplayable. Vita games are best played on Vita. ;)

• Like 1

I have to think >.> why should i buy this crap ? Cuz My  PS3 is much cheaper and i can play PS1 games on it , before you people ask , Yes every PS3 can play PS1 games and if you have a first gen PS3 like me you can play PS1 2 and of cource 3 games , that makes 3 consoles in 1 , So whats the point of the PS1 classic ? The only thing i see is to make money from *nostalgia* and uninforemed gamers >.>  EDIT : And you can create Memory Cards on the PS3 too 

Edited by Tamikuz
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

True, but you have to imagine actual Sony engineers would do a better job creating a PS3 emulator for static hardware like a PS5 than the enthusiasts making an emulator for PC. As far as I know, the Xbox 360 emulator for PC still isn't where it needs to be despite its relativity simple hardware, yet the Xbox One runs these games flawlessly; even better than on original hardware. I wouldn't write off the possibility of PS3 emulation on PS5 until we know more about the console.

As for playing Vita games on PS5... yeah, no way. :P Even if by some miracle it did, games that relied on the Vita's features like the touchscreen, rear touchpad, camera, etc, would be unplayable. Vita games are best played on Vita. ;)

I'm hoping, I want to be wrong, trust me lol

22 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Let's just hope they don't screw everyone too bad with the memory card prices. Vita's original MC prices were really awful.  At least this shouldn't need 32/64 GB cards.  A 4 GB one could hold many PS1 saves I'm sure.

I don't know if it has been explicitly stated, but I'm 99% certain it will have built-in memory like the NES and SNES Mini. The memory card slots are probably just there for aesthetic reasons. PS1 saves are measured in KB, not MB, so it would be a little ridiculous if they made you buy a separate storage device for saves in 2018. The standard memory card size for PS1 back in the day was 1MB. :P Even if for whatever reason they did, the comparison to Vita memory cards is a confusing one considering how even a 4GB memory card would be an insane amount of overkill.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:38 AM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I own quite a few PS1 classics on PSN already. I'm sure there will be some more duplicates which is why I said I'd consider it if it had rare games that are hard to find and not on PSN. 

There's very few rare games that are actually hard to find for the ps1. Most of which are rare variants like the syphon filter 9/11 version 

On 9/21/2018 at 4:54 PM, Undead Wolf said:

you have to imagine actual Sony engineers would do a better job creating a PS3 emulator for static hardware like a PS5 than the enthusiasts...

It isn't always true official software is the best.  PSNP is way better than Sony's trophy profile system. 

^ Bad example, lol, but a lot of un-official stuff includes wanted features etc. Maybe compatibility wise yeah.

I'm going to skip on this.

There's a LOT of Playstation 1 games from that 1995 - 2001 era that do not look good at all. I don't see how anyone can play the Crash Bandicoot trilogy and not see how dated they are.

I'm not a guy who brags about graphics but I think most people are going to grab this purely for nostalgic reasons, because they grew up playing these games when they were kids. I was a Nintendo 64 kid long before I got into any Sony product and those Nintendo games in comparison hold up a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of those Playstation 1 games.

• 1 month later...

I already got the SNES classic mini, it's a fantastic little device. The NES classic mini will follow soon, just for completing my collection. Big N will release a N64 classic mini as well, which i need to buy, cause F-Zero X will be on it :)

This PlayStation mini is nice as well for the 2 controllers alone, which should work with PS3 and PS4!

On 9/21/2018 at 4:54 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Actually Vita game BC is perfectly feasible if it's just for games without Touchscreen support like the PSTV did. That's pretty much how I play my Vita games now anyway since I almost never use my actual Vita and the only games I have that requires touchscreen support are Gravity Rush and Darkest Dungeon which both can be played on the PS4. Sony could keep older games in the store longer and who could say no to practically free money like that?

Edited by majob

Full game list has been revealed via news on engadget

Sony reveals the complete list of PlayStation Classic games
'Metal Gear Solid' and others join known titles like 'Final Fantasy VII.'

Sony has finally revealed the full game list for the PlayStation Classic, and it looks like it'll please fans looking for a nostalgia hit... mostly. In addition to previously announced games like Final Fantasy VII and Ridge Racer Type 4, you'll find definitive titles like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil Director's Cut and Twisted Metal. Simultaneously, though, there are a few curious choices and conspicuous omissions.

To start, you'll find games like the original Grand Theft Auto and Rainbow Six. They're both fine titles, but you may be in for a shock if you're expecting GTAV or Siege. It's also unusual to see Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee -- it's a well-known game, but not a blockbuster. And of course, there's bound to be a classic game or three that you wish was on the list. Where's Gran Turismoor Wipeout, for instance? Sony no doubt had toconsider game variety and licensing issues when choosing the list, but that still leaves you making some sacrifices if you want a nostalgia hit on December 3rd. You can see the full list below.

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Japanese List

Here is the Japanese PlayStation Classic game list:

• Arc the Lad
  • Arc the Lad 2
  • Armored Core
  • Biohazard Director’s Cut (Resident Evil Director’s Cut)
  • Final Fantasy VII International
  • G Darius
  • Gradius Gaiden
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash 
  • Megami Ibunroku Persona: Be Your True Mind (Revelations: Persona)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Parasite Eve
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • SaGa Frontier 
  • Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
  • Tekken 3
  • Toshinden (Battle Arena Toshinden)
  • Wild Arms
  • XI [sái] (Devil Dice)

really shocked at the lack of the legend of dragoon or legaia as first party titles

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

Western list is garbage , i guess u can mod it like snes/nes classics. The jpn list is way better to accept. i need to play diablo 1 again and all classic rpgs with mortal kombat trilogy. If u cant mod it i have to get a raspery pi 3 for the ps 1 games. I have already a snes classic with 200 games added. I hope we can hack the ps classic as well.

• Like 2