Anyone use Gamefly?

dunbay

Not here to advertise or promote lol. Was actually curious if any people out there use their service for platting trophies. It's around 15 bucks a month and you can rent up to 5 games at once which is a lot cheaper than actually purchasing games you're kind of skeptical about, or just don't want to pay the full amount. Was strongly considering doing this because there's quite a few 60 dollar games that i'd like to play, but don't want to dip my toes in that amount. If anyone uses the service let me know how the feedback is and if it's a wise decision. Thanks!

I've tried it, but games get lost too often, and it takes a good week (or sometimes longer) to send something back and get a new game. Most of the time you can't get the newest releases right away either, and are lucky to get something within the first month of release. It's all kind of up to luck.

Also, the $15 a month is only an introductory price for the first 3 months, and you only get a max of 2 games at a time, not 5. It goes up to about $23 a month for 2 games, or $15 for one game. Which just makes it less worth it. If you want to play a game that takes more than a few days, and you beat both games before you get something back, then you just have nothing to play. Which happens a lot.

Most of the time games spend more time in transit than anything, and like I said, games get lost too often. And every time one does, you have to wait a week before you can report it, and then they'll confirm it was lost which tends to take a few days, and then finally send another one which takes a couple more days to get to you. After all of that, you're out a game for 2-3 weeks of the 4 you paid for. The first time I had it, I had it for 6 months, and only got to play 8 games, because games got lost 3 times. Even after I moved states and tried it again, I had it for 2 months and only got to play 3 games because the second game I was supposed to get got lost.

If you're looking to play a lot of older games that are short (like 10 hour or less plats), and don't mind waiting a few days in between them, then I would say it's worth it. As long as you can get through all of them within the 3 month introductory period. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth it. It's better to just wait for games to drop in price, and/or buy games from good sales.

• Like 2

I just started to. Here are my thoughts:

• The selection is surprisingly good. Over 700 games on the PS4, and more coming all the time.
  • Availability hasn't been an issue for me, but it might be for more popular games. They list games as having high, medium or low availability. To my understanding, games with high availability have a 75% chance of being shipped that day, medium availability is 50%, and low availability is 25%. They may or may not skip to the next game in your queue if a game is unavailable that day. I haven't tested that out yet.
  • Returns are easy. They send you everything you need, so you just pop the disc back into the case, seal it up, and stick it in your mailbox. 
  • The turnaround (for me, living on the outskirts of a big city) is pretty quick. I returned a game on Saturday, they shipped a new one on Monday, and I got it today (Wednesday). If you can finish a game in under a few days, that's about 4-5 games a month for only $15.
  • I've had no problem with any of the discs, and no need to contact customer service.
  • You can also rent movies, which is a nice bonus.
  • There's a one-month free trial.

Overall, I think it's a fantastic service. I wouldn't recommend it for something like, say, Spider-Man or the new Tomb Raider -- one, because they're probably not available, and two, because you'll probably want to play them for more than a couple of days -- but it'd be good for those rarer games with quick platinums, like Cat Quest or Ether One. Or, you know, for Minecraft, when a new DLC is released every six months and you've already sold the damn game.

• Like 2

I use GameFly every so oftein. I didn't use it for a long time (I believe when Twilight Princess was a few months old) before picking it up again this year to get a few short games out of the way (Town of Light, Among the Sleep, Brothers, and most recently, White Day). This has work out for the most part, but you also have to understand that sometimes they do get lost in the mail, like my new game is right now. Still, I never would have known I would like White Day without it, or the fact that Horizon Zero Dawn is why too ambitious for a week rental trophy hunt.

• Like 1

I use it.

At 15ish a month even if I only plat a couple games from the service a month it is cheaper than buying (figure the yearly cost is the same as three new games at retail).  They've got a large selection, particularly for the Vita and PS3 that have a lot of easy, short platinum games that got physical releases.  For me, anything under 20 hours is more economical to rent.

However, the cost-benefit is based on how much you game.  The more you game, the better deal renting becomes. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have been using gamefly for about 4 months and I really like it. I use the gift certificate exploit where you can get 15% off a 2 game plan for 3 months. If you look at my trophies you will notice a lot of visual novels and easy games, that is mostly from gamefly. It's better to rent the game for trophies that only take a few hours and send it back than buy the full game.

A lot of the VNs I rent are really expensive too so after like 2 games I get enough return upon investment to satisfy me.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:03 PM, Cassylvania said:

but it'd be good for those rarer games with quick platinums, like Cat Quest or Ether One.

Appreciate the recommendation as I missed these when building my Q.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Yes I love GameFly I been using it since 2012 it’s a great service if u are trophy hunting for sure and saves u a lot of money on games u are unsure of and awesome part is if u like the game u can keep it for a nice discount and they send u the original case artwork and manual if applicable.