PS Vita production to end in 2019 (In Japan)

HeySumbode

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

This is sad indeed. Got a Vita in 2014 and enjoyed playing games while traveling. Played lots of fun games on it and hoping to be able to do that for quite some time to get through the entire Vita backlog.

The Vita was my first ever handheld and I bought it 6 months ago. Its really sad to know Sony let it die in the way it did. Not only do I play on it almost everyday before going to bed but it has amazing features such as Remote Play with the ps4. I was so shocked when I discovered I could play my ps4 from 300 kilometers away over the internet ahah I sounded like a kid on Christmas day ?

9 minutes ago, bpmotard said:

The Vita was my first ever handheld and I bought it 6 months ago. Its really sad to know Sony let it die in the way it did. Not only do I play on it almost everyday before going to bed but it has amazing features such as Remote Play with the ps4. I was so shocked when I discovered I could play my ps4 from 300 kilometers away over the internet ahah I sounded like a kid on Christmas day 1f60b.png

Damn, 6 months isn't a lot. Oh yeah, it has remote play. Completely forgot about that.

Damn, now I won't be able to get a replacement if one of my Vita's dies. I got my second Vita from Japan pretty recently, so hopefully it's good for many years to come - I'll need it! I've still got a ton of games to play on the system.

It's pretty lame that there's no plans for a successor. Now that Japanese devs are starting to forgo a Vita release, that just means visual novels and rhythm games are going to be far less enjoyable for me since I'll be forced to play them on PS4. :S

• Like 2

Man, the poor Vita has probably died the longest, most painful death of any system I've ever seen. It's been a constant tug of war between Sony trying to pull the plug and its fans trying to keep it alive. I've been a Vita user since 2012, but I just purchased a Switch because I know that the Vita isn't going to be supported in a meaningful way for much longer.

(Well, that a Pokemon Let's Go and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Mario Kart and Breath of the Wild and...)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Damn, now I won't be able to get a replacement if one of my Vita's dies. I got my second Vita from Japan pretty recently, so hopefully it's good for many years to come - I'll need it! I've still got a ton of games to play on the system.

Time to stack on Vitas :awesome: 

6 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

It's pretty lame that there's no plans for a successor. Now that Japanese devs are starting to forgo a Vita release, that just means visual novels and rhythm games are going to be far less enjoyable for me since I'll be forced to play them on PS4. :S

Frankly? It could be worse.

They could end up being Switch-only.

As we both know, VNs are meant for handhelds and not many VNs were purely made for PS4... so if developers won't have Vita option, they may opt for Switch.

• Like 2

I have been using my vita a lot more recently. I have overcome the fear of getting it dirty a bit more. Sad to see them stop making them but there is still a lot of goodies to play. Hopefully itll last till im done with everything. 

1 minute ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Frankly? It could be worse.

They could end up being Switch-only.

As we both know, VNs are meant for handhelds and not many VNs were purely made for PS4... so if developers won't have Vita option, they may opt for Switch.

Yeah, that's true. Better we get them on PlayStation in some form or another rather than not at all. I'd hate to just lose access to these kinds of games altogether... -_-

But man, people have been saying the Vita was dead for as long as I've owned one and it has always been false (no matter how we may joke around :P). Now that Japanese devs have started to move away from the system, and with Sony stopping production in its home country, I am actually starting to believe it. :( When are we going to give Vita the viking funeral it deserves? :P

6 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Yeah, that's true. Better we get them on PlayStation in some form or another rather than not at all. I'd hate to just lose access to these kinds of games altogether... -_-

But man, people have been saying the Vita was dead for as long as I've owned one and it has always been false (no matter how we may joke around :P). Now that Japanese devs have started to move away from the system, and with Sony stopping production in its home country, I am actually starting to believe it. :( When are we going to give Vita the viking funeral it deserves? :P

Vita was officially dead the moment Sony stopped official software support for it. It's a real shame, but at least 3rd party developers kept making games for it

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Vita was officially dead the moment Sony stopped official software support for it. It's a real shame, but at least 3rd party developers kept making games for it

I don't really agree with that. The Vita has been kept alive all these years by Japanese & indie developers, and we were getting these games at a steady rate. It's only recently this has started to wane. I don't think Sony's lack of support really means much tbh.

5 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I don't really agree with that. The Vita has been kept alive all these years by Japanese & indie developers, and we were getting these games at a steady rate. It's only recently this has started to wane. I don't think Sony's lack of support really means much tbh.

Doesn't really matter if indie and japanese developers kept making games for it, the moment the actual manufacturer drops support for it, it automatically becomes a legacy device. Lack of sony support means everything for sales if the only things coming out for the system is anime games mostly, the general populace isn't going to be interested in something like that.

Still a great piece of tech, hopefully sony makes another one, otherwise it will just be nintendo dominating the market again as the sole manufacturer

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Doesn't really matter if indie and japanese developers kept making games for it, the moment the actual manufacturer drops support for it, it automatically becomes a legacy device. Lack of sony support means everything for sales if the only things coming out for the system is anime games mostly, the general populace isn't going to be interested in something like that.

Still a great piece of tech, hopefully sony makes another one, otherwise it will just be nintendo dominating the market again as the sole manufacturer

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't compare the Vita how it was a year or two ago to something like the PS2 which is quite clearly a dead console. Also, everyone agrees that Sony did a shitty job supporting the Vita, but they've only recently stopped cartridge/console production. It's not like they totally cut it loose after deciding not to release first party titles for it anymore. I think a console can still thrive with third party support alone.

32 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't compare the Vita how it was a year or two ago to something like the PS2 which is quite clearly a dead console. Also, everyone agrees that Sony did a shitty job supporting the Vita, but they've only recently stopped cartridge/console production. It's not like they totally cut it loose after deciding not to release first party titles for it anymore. I think a console can still thrive with third party support alone.

I don't have much skin in the game when it comes to this whole conversation, but I just wanted to mention that around the time PlayStation ended support, Gamestop moved the PS Vita to the section of their website where the legacy devices are.

2 minutes ago, Lostknight179 said:

I don't have much skin in the game when it comes to this whole conversation, but I just wanted to mention that around the time PlayStation ended support, Gamestop moved the PS Vita to the section of their website where the legacy devices are.

How is that relevant at all? :P Gamestop is just a company that sells games; they aren't an authority on what is considered a dead console or not. 

13 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

You are speaking like Vita doesn't have 100+ games 469872896114688011.png

I have 100 just from physicals 469872896114688011.png

I had probably 50 odd physicals before I started to slow down and give up, welllllllllll over a couple hundred digitals. Even rebought the dodgy ass COD the other week on sale so I could play that survival mode on (half of) Nuketown again.

But I didn't buy over 100 games for the Vita in it's first year or so, that's the difference.

Someone on Reddit, said it well:

I can't blame Sony for abandoning the PS Vita. It's the same problem the 3DS found during the last gen of handhelds; third party AAA companies were less and less keen to support them when App stores brought in higher revenue. EA, 2K, Ubisoft and Activision barely supported the Vita after the first year or two, other than PS3 ports and other re-releases. Once the PS3 EA Sports games stopped, the Vita ones soon followed suit. This killed the console in the casual market for everyone except those who knew about Remote Play.

In the last generation, the DS and PSP became a great place for the big studios to let their smaller stuff fly, like Capcom and the Phoenix Wright games on DS. They weren't huge games, but were small endeavours that they could release to a smaller audience and find success. Need for Speed, GTA:Liberty City Stories, Star Wars: Battlefront all did extremely well on the PSP because they were smaller versions of big games, and brought in an expected revenue. Come the PS Vita, all those smaller games now found themselves being made into phone games, which is a fair market to try and conquer when nearly every customer for gaming owns a high powered touch phone these days. Why bother making your small Vita game when you can make a small phone game and pump it full of micro-transactions instead? The mainstream western gaming market quickly abandoned the Vita and left it to the Japanese market to support, something the major publishers also failed to do.

This would have been the fate of the 3DS as well as the big western publishers dumped it too, but they had the saving grace that was branding of Nintendo. The Pokémon games alone, a series which keeps it's major releases for handheld consoles only, probably sold more 3DS consoles than all Vita exclusives combined. Makes it easier to try a smaller game like Bravely Default on a system that has a decent install base than punting it onto the Vita's marketplace. It's not like the Vita had no great games, I loved Gravity Rush and Persona 4, but none of them were a reason to buy a Vita. Vita never gave you an old, highly popular franchise instalment that wasn't undercut by a big PS3 or PS4 game that made it look like nothing but a pants cash in. Uncharted & Killzone both got that treatment. And the games it did get, like Gravity Rush and Tearaway, were nothing which would get people to buy the system. Even Persona 4: The Golden (if I remember correctly, this is the best selling Vita game) was an updated version of a PS2 game (admittedly one that came out during the PS3 era, but still a PS2 game). When the major games it did get did so poorly, why would any major developer plan to put their stuff on the system?

It never got the games, so never got the sales. It never got the sales, so never got the games. It's a vicious cycle.

It only hurts a lot little. 

13 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Rhythm games and visual novels definitely don't feel right on anything but a hand-held. Main reason why I've put off buying games like Clannad for the PS4. xD  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lostknight179 said:

Gamestop isn't Japanese => not relevant to Vita-tan :awesome: