PS Vita production to end in 2019 (In Japan)

HeySumbode

It's a shame but the signs were there to see: Sony's decision to drop Vita games from PS Plus offerings, physical game card production ending, many former Vita exclusives being published on other platforms and sales in EU PS Store not promoting Vita games at all (recent Ubisoft sale listing for example featured only PS3 and PS4 games even though Vita version of the same game was on sale too). Seems like Sony isn't even interested in getting any profit off Vita games anymore?

There was also a worrying comment from a developer who canceled their Vita version of a game, mentioning something about "certain PS Store functions ceasing" on Vita. Time to start playing my Vita backlog before they drop all Vita support from PS Store.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 9:13 AM, Undead Wolf said:

It's pretty lame that there's no plans for a successor.

It really is lame. Sony could bring out something more powerful than Switch, with an HDMI jack, & Vita compatible.  But no.  They're giving up to Nintendo on portables.

For the Vita's game storage, Sony should've just used microSD cards, like Nintendo is doing with Switch.  A 64 GB one costs way less than a 64 GB Vita card.  Memory cards costing less would probably have helped sales of PSN game releases.

• Like 1

So much power in that tiny machine. I took my Vita TV and Switch away for 4 weeks just now and Barely touched the switch. In my opinion the library of games on the Vita is reason enough to buy one. I think it's had a pretty good run in Japan and the rest of us have just imported or bought overseas anyway.

The Vita was an is a noble machine.  She was both ahead of her time and quickly overshadowed by a new generation.  Although mistakes were made and opportunities lost, it was inevitable that the rise of smartphones would put an end to dedicated mobile gaming, and our world is poorer for it. 

However, the Vita found a fanbase and, as gaming becomes completely mainstream, will long be remembered as the last hurrah of gaming as a niche activity. 

Since softkeys were forged by Satan himself, I hope Sony releases some type of hybrid with the PS5 so I can continue to collect trophies on the go.  In the meantime, my Vita backlog is about 50 games, so I've got awhile before this becomes an issue. 

Though smartphones are good for some things, I hate them a little for what they've done to handheld gaming.  Vita has many games on it that you'd never see on a smartphone.

Sure, you can buy a gamepad for a smartphone- but it's not nearly as good as the Vita's all-in-one setup.  The need for 2 power sources instead of 1 is a bother.

I bought mine in November 14,   I made the deciasion of buying one whilst sat in the hospital waiting for a lump to be cut off my back.

I put off buying one in between 2012 to October 14,   which was pretty bad.   

Thankfully I not only got one digital game on the ps vita (if I can find another pre-owned memory card) as my went weird.