Telltale Games closing down

Gwendly

Not only were their games episodic, some episodes would take 2-3 months to come out which always pissed off their fans. You tend to forget what happened in the previous episode. I always thought they were focusing on too many projects at once. As much as I like Telltale, they could never really capture the same magic they got from season 1 of The Walking Dead. Tales From the Borderlands and The Wolf Among Us were the closest to it, and neither of those games got a season 2 while a bunch of other games were made like Batman, Game of Thrones, Minecraft, Guardians of the Galaxy, and the upcoming Stranger Things game. They never really updated their engine and a lot of their games didn't run well. It was probably too expensive to get all these licenses, and the games weren't selling enough to sustain it. I think a lot of these factors are the reasons for this. 

Edited by SebGamer93

Oh wow, this comes as quite the shock. I heard they were struggling financially but I never expected them to go bust. That's a real shame because I've enjoyed a number of their titles over the years and I was looking forward to The Wolf Among Us season 2. I wonder how The Walking Dead: The Final Season will turn out now...

I guess the success of The Walking Dead season 1 went to their heads and they got too ambitions, taking on waaay too many projects for their own good.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

Talking to a couple friends and one brought up a good point. A main issue they may have had was how they delivered their games. Doing episodic was smart in the beginning to get an influx of cash, but they should have changed their style to releasing full games instead of episodes. People have an issue with Season Passes for much the same reason as their release style. Since they are waiting for the full game to come out, they would probably wait until it goes on sale. I know I would.

I agree, I only played Telltales games when it was free (I borrowed TWD from a friend and the games that were given in the IGC) or when it was already finished and WAY cheaper in a sale. I think I got Tales from the Borderlands for 5 bucks and that's it.  

They spread too thin with so many launches and I don't know how they spent to much if they use the same engine game after game. It's written administrative and marketing errors all over the place.

• Like 2

Well, gematsu posted a few minutes ago about Telltale Games shuting down, withTelltale Games has yet to release an official statement but it seems to be true, which is sad. The games I played were always fun. Sometimes a little bit bad on the technical side (Looking at you, BTTF PS4) but fun.

Stranded Deep is still online for Preorder though.

Edited by dermarx

Having up to 400 employees means that you need a lot of cash for the monthly paychecks. Having sales for games that are not released in full yet was in retrospect probaly a sign. To bad for the involved employees. If a company loses money it is inevitable it will close down.

So, that explains the "get all TWD collection" if you pre-order last season.

Sad, I guess now I can understand upcoming Life is strange has doubled its price, I just hope the disc will hold all episodes like in previous seasons and not to be a one episode disc.

Edited by GoldenShaka

Honestly, good. 

Sucks for the employees, but everything we've heard up until now implies the employees were already having a shit time working there as it was so hopefully they'll find themselves a nicer, better, more secure job at a better development studio.

I had Walking Dead 4 ordered on Xbox, played an hour or so at midnight, still haven't finished episode 1. I loved the Walking Dead games, even Walking Dead 3 that a lot of people don't, but the formula is soooo damn dry now I can't even get interested just to see what my girl Clem's been up to, I fucking love Clem. Bought Guardians forever ago too, when like the third episode dropped or something, still haven't played beyond episode one. Batman was surprisingly good, but not interesting enough to warrant me doing it again, or even bothering with the sequel yet. Back to the Future was fantastic and I love it to death, Walking Dead is great, Batman was decent, Borderlands was brilliant (and I couldn't give a shit less about the main series), but beyond that they've all bored me.

Tried Sam and Max yeeeears ago, shit. Game of Thrones, shit. Wolf Among Us, wasn't interested enough to even play episode two (crucify me). Minecraft bored me as well with the free episode, stumbled into free copies of season 1 on PS3 and season 2 on 360 and I traded them both without even bothering. Don't remember what else they did that I played, but I guess that's kind of the point. Glad I got over the trophy hunt around the same time they started to *really* slip in quality, because I'd absolutely hate forcing myself to play through these slog fests.

2 hours ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

If this is true then I'll be upset, only because I wanted a Tales From The Borderlands 2. :|

Same. I just really hope we still get the Tales characters in 3. I feel like the cliff hanger and no sequel is because it was a set up for the third Borderlands. 

I really hope so at least. We need Fiona and Rhys as playable vault hunters.

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Will the games be pulled from PSN and XBL?

TellTale published their own games. So from what I understand, unless the people who own the rights to each individual franchise swoops in and gets the publishing rights to the games, they should be taken down once the company officially closes. Hopefully they'll release some kind of statement that says for sure, but I would bet on them being taken down. If you want some of the games, definitely snag them up as quickly as you can.

Not that surprised to be honest. Having an episodic release is not sustainable in the long run, as it's just betting on people buying the whole season upfront. Forgetting that there's a ton of people who won't throw cash out upfront for an unfinished product. Their whole business structure was literally a gamble.

Not to mention that the rights for using the various big name franchises, must have cost quite a lot of money. Which didn't sell as much as they had hoped, they said so themselves a couple of years back.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Hoping Quantic Dreams and the developers behind Life is Strange are in good shape.  Where will I get my narrative based games from?

Hope those impacted land on their feet quickly.

Lol Quantic Dream isn’t going anywhere and neither is DotNod, I’m not even sure Telltale is really shutting down. We shall see.