Telltale Games closing down

Gwendly

9 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

So we will we able to get a refund for the last season of TWD? Kinda a scam otherwise.

I’d be very surprised if the final season of Walking Dead is not released in its entirety.

i imagine at this point, it is already pretty well wrapped up (in final stages): that is why the remaining crew won’t be working on it.  

This makes me sad... I wasn't a big fan of Telltale, but I have a really close friend who loves these games. There aren't a whole lot of games that she can play by herself because she's disabled, so she was really excited when I introduced her to these. I'm bummed about not getting The Wolf Among Us 2, but I'm more sad that there's not much for my friend to look forward to playing now.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I’d be very surprised if the final season of Walking Dead is not released in its entirety.

i imagine at this point, it is already pretty well wrapped up (in final stages): that is why the remaining crew won’t be working on it.  

According to IGN it will end after episode 2 https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/21/telltale-games-reportedly-shutting-down

"According to USgamer's Matt Kim on Twitter, The Walking Dead: The Final Season will conclude after the release of Episode 2 next week."

Edited by Quink666

6 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

According to IGN it will end after episode 2 https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/21/telltale-games-reportedly-shutting-down

"According to USgamer's Matt Kim on Twitter, The Walking Dead: The Final Season will conclude after the release of Episode 2 next week."

Yeah, it is the same one dude speculating from Twitter that is IGN’s “source”.  Surprised IGN did not just use the speculation from this thread.

edit -notice that same site already posted a correction for bad info they posted just hours before.  Not sure they have it right yet.  

Best to wait and see until we have a more reliable source.

Edited by djb5f

3 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Yeah, it is the same one dude speculating from Twitter that is IGN’s “source”.  Surprised IGN did not just use the speculation from this thread.

Well i hope you are right and we will get the full game. Will be annoyed with a telltale game sitting firmly at 50% completion. 

Going to keep expectations low for it to happen though.

Sad.

This goes goes to show how volatile the video game industry is as a whole. With all the shit from Steam and Playstation 4 being passed as "games" I don't think it's too much of a surprise that there are a lot more crooked developers than there used to be. Especially the mobile games, most of them are just asking for your money for piss poor programming and games you would only play if you had nothing else to do.

The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and Tales From the Borderlands will always be my favorite TellTale games. But everything else that I've seen just hasn't been as good, which is a damn shame.

With the demise of TellTale that leaves us with Quantic Dream, the guys who made Life is Strange and a few indie companies who put their hard work into good story telling.

Guess I better play through the Batman games before they get delisted, because you never know what will happen.

The most tragic thing about all of this is people are going to forget TellTale in five to ten years time. I'm almost as sad about that as the demise of the Dead Space series, because eventually people are going to forget those as well, though not as easily since they were extremely popular games when they were released.

Big business doesn't give a fuck. I wouldn't be surprised if some asshole at TellTale was telling these developers to work on multiple projects simultaneously, which likely explains the drop in quality and good story telling. But what I've found is profit margins matter the most, even if it means making three - four TellTale games at once. I've long suspected management there was scrambling to find ways to get more money and more people to play the games.

Shame. But that's life, you can't always get what you want and you can't always expect a company or a person to last a long time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

Imagine being one of those people that go for 100% profiles having the walking dead final season on their list...

I'm curious if anything will happen to the trophy list and how refunds will work.

I was about to play final season, fortunately the fact that I had enough games to play first made me temporarily ignore this game. I started thinking I made the best choice.

I always waited when all the Episodes were out on the Telltale games. And than i bought the Season Pass physical disc to get a full expierence about the game story. Not just play 1 Episode and wait for another 1-2 months till the next one is out witch was annoying. Other than that i love their games.

Edited by TazDevilz1986

I think that you may find in YT one of the reasons the studio failed...When you drop gameplay mechanics in its entirety in order to focus on interesting stories people will not find any reason to buy your game over watching its branching paths on a video/streaming online.

I absolutely loved TTG, but I still dropped picking up their games after the price point went up from 20 to 40 euros. I know I'm being part of the reasons I won't get my TWAU season 2, but...I can't help feeling that if they kept a little point & click mechanics from their Sam & Max games every subsequent title would have been more exciting for players.

Well, guess it's time for other developers to prey on the good members of the studio, and for THQ Nordic to jump in and take away the IPs they can collect xD

This is a disaster... just as my interest in Telltale games had piqued once more, this happens. We’ve had a bumpy road but things were looking up with TWD coming to a solid conclusion, finally a continuation of TWAU and a series based on Stranger Things in the pipeline. But it was never to be. It’s quite sad actually because I can’t help but feel they haven’t gone out on a high, rather the opposite. :(