Telltale Games closing down

Gwendly

I was really pumped for Wolf S2. :( I’d gone out of favour with TWD because I only liked the first season, but it’s a shame it might go unfinished. 

26 minutes ago, DeckBlack22 said:

Haha, good news. Movies not = Games.

I mean, lots of people lost their jobs. Even with Ubisoft helping out it’s likely some won’t be lucky. I wouldn’t really celebrate any studio shutting down even if I wasn’t into them. They weren’t really hurting anyone.

• Like 1

Anyone know if we should be concerned about their games being pulled from the store anytime soon? The last major company going bust I remember was THQ and most of their stuff was bought up by other publishers but I don't remember if anything got lost in the mix altogether. I guess this explains why they recently didn't renew their licensing agreements for poker night 2 when it was taken down.

3 hours ago, apfelpuffer said:

Were there any signs that this would happen? Came a little bit surprisingly, didn't it? 

1. The WD was sold in season pass format, Cannot buy episode 1, then 2 like other games.
  2. Only 4 episodes total instead of 5.
  3. Two trophy list NA/EU. Other games had shared list. Telltale needed money asap.
  4. Tried to get people to pre-order giving The Walking Dead Collection - The Telltale Series  a value of ($49.99) for FREE.

Well this news came out of nowhere.

Now, not just Wolf among Us 2, Game of Thrones Season 2 and their Stanger Things game is Cancelled. But all future installments as well. I mean Tales of the Borderlands and Guardians of the Galaxy clearly ended with a to be continue note, now we'll never get it.

I now hope that they at least finish the final season of the Walking dead, but with only a skeleton crew of 25 people, it probably won't happen.?

Rest in Peace Tell Tale Games, at least you weren't killed by EA.

Some common thoughts amongst the thread... my 2 cents:

- Bankruptcy means that you will not get refunds and the staff will not be paid. You are right, it is very unfair.

- Clementine's story will be revealed in *some form*... the trophies have been released for a while and the product was not sold in episodic form, that all tells me that the story was finalised. With enough requests in the right places, the end to the narrative will be provided/leaked by an accurate/inside source.

- Most completionist trophy hunters have multiple accounts of at least wait for the game to be fully released with an achievable list, only a small proportion of 100% accounts will be affected by an inobtainable list. It still sucks though!

- Yes, the signs were there... the quality of their games has been decreasing since TWAU and TWD 1+2 but the release price is too high; their episodic business model and game engine are both outdated; they are also known for releasing buggy titles, and finally every game seems to be released on PS+ eventually. How many of us actually bought a TT game at release in the last five years (other that TWD 3)?

- If TWD 3 is finished by the skeleton crew, there won't be anyone left to patch the bugs or lack of polish. I am optimistic about the staff crisis but pessimistic about TWD 3.

With all of that said, of course, I hope the staff land on their feet!!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 5:32 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Imagine being one of those people who read about people losing their jobs and their first thought is about trophy lists.

Imagine not reading my earlier post where I mentioned stuff about the jobs.

(On the second page if you wanna see, I've actually posted twice saying something about jobs, believe me people losing their jobs was one of my first thoughts, I posted multiple stuff afterwards, but clearly the people coming here later never saw the first post I made)

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

TT treated their workers like shit so I'm disappointed but not surprised, especially hearing they had about 30 minutes of time between 'hey ur fired' and 'ok please leave', plus the lack of severance pay. It's such a shame for all those involved, but it's nice to see other developers reaching out and making it known that they have positions available. I really hope the 200~ish workers can find another place in the industry because they're all obviously talented and have proven to be able to create great games.

EDIT: 

5 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Have there been any reliable source that has come forward yet about what will happen to the last seasonTWD?

Statement from the voice of Clementine herself: 

Edited by ahoyimzoe
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ahoyimzoe said:

TT treated their workers like shit so I'm disappointed but not surprised, especially hearing they had about 30 minutes of time between 'hey ur fired' and 'ok please leave', plus the lack of severance pay. It's such a shame for all those involved, but it's nice to see other developers reaching out and making it known that they have positions available. I really hope the 200~ish workers can find another place in the industry because they're all obviously talented and have proven to be able to create great games.

Man it sucks that we only get episode 2. kinda no purpose releasing it imo. I Heard Ubisoft offer jobs at anyone from telltale that had been layed off. Hopefully some of them can get work there. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ahoyimzoe said:

EDIT: 

It takes balls to make a statement from someone who played the main character in The Walking Dead. 

Even she wasn’t safe from the shit management they had to deal with. 

Life moves on. A few years from now nobody is going to care, like Team Bondi and those other companies who made a splash last generation who are now mostly forgotten. 

Sad, but over time even the most famous people and companies of today will be eventually forgotten. 

Nothing lasts forever, but I just wish TellTale had held on a bit longer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Telltale Games, ladies and gentlemen.

So happy I quit supporting them after Tales of Borderlands with how this is all ending.

I for one only thought Walking Dead season 1 was okay.. i never even bought the rest. Season 2 i got free with plus awhile back and couldn't bring myself to even finishing it because i just didn't enjoy it much at all. Tales of Borderlands was fun for me though. I enjoyed that one quite a bit for what it was. I went in not expecting much at all.

4 hours ago, ahoyimzoe said:

EDIT: 

"Won't get to experience the final ending of one of the best damn game titles in the history of games."
"Telltale games will always be the best narrative, story driven game company EVER."

I want whatever drugs she's on, man.

Sounds like a pretty good delusional high.

• Like 1