Discontinued after Episode 2?

I actually bought this yesterday. I'm not one of those guys that wants a refund on everything. I'd rather be able to play the 2 episodes and keep them if it gets pulled from the store, and have the trophies as a reminder of one of my favorite game companies.

Also, about them shutting down: I think episodic content really hurt them in the long run. I still play every Telltale game since Monkey Island, but it's too hard to keep up with their sporadic release schedule so I started waiting until the full season was out, including TWD4. (Still paid full price for all of them) I think it's kind of ridiculous that they decided to shut down before the entire season was out so they could at least see what the game sales would be.

• Like 1

Ok, just my two cents for those interested:

I love Telltale despite their flaws. Their engine can be horrendous at times rendering some games virtually unplayable at times (Poker Night 2). But the narrative, writing and characters are often top notch. This news hit me hard on Friday and I am genuinely saddened. I can't imagine how the employees feel. They not only have to cope with the loss of work, but undoubtedly many were passionate about these projects and not seeing them through will be rough. 

As we have no definitive answer from Telltale as to their future, all we have to go on is educated guessing based on what they alone have said. These Sources that USGamer and others have talked about cannot be taken as fact, even if they turn out to be correct. So far we have:

- Press statement: " A majority of the company's employees were dismissed earlier this morning, with a small group of 25 employees sating on to fulfill the company's obligations to its board and partners." - This is specifically referencing the Netflix Minecraft project: https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/telltale-minecraft-story-mode-netflix-1202844528/. Netflix also confirmed it will not be cancelled. "“We are saddened by news about Telltale Games,” Netflix said in a statement. “They developed many great games in the past and left an indelible mark in the industry. Minecraft: Story Mode is still moving forward as planned. We are in the process of evaluating other options for bringing the Stranger Things universe to life in an interactive medium.” https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/24/17896054/netflix-stranger-things-telltale-game-update

Although it cannot be confirmed, I would assume that TWD The Final Season is part of their "obligations". It would also be mostly finished as the remaining few months are used for polishing. 

- We also have the CEO Pete Hawley saying on Twitter: 

This all leads me to believe that although Telltale's upper management are likely woefully inept at business management, they made the call at the last minute to batten down the hatches and try to save the ship before going completely under. They waited until the last possible moment in the hopes that The Final Season would pull in the sales, but unfortunately it could not. In an effort to not go under completely and file for bankruptcy they had to lay off a majority and cancel other projects that were in there early stages. I don't think this is the end of Telltale Games. I think they will pick up the pieces and move forward, likely in a very new direction. This is very sad as they lost their employees which is their DNA and their future games may be wildly different. 

I wish everyone the best that is affected and here's to hoping the Final Season releases so we can see Clem's journey conclude. Let's wait a few weeks for an official word from Telltale. Cheers. 

• Like 3

Have been a fan of Telltale for a while & have enjoyed a few of the games, TWD being my favourite they've done but bought the season pass for The Final Season as was under the assumption there was going to be no physical copy. Obviously it's a shame Telltale has gone belly up & most of the people have lost their jobs which is also a shame but I'll put it like this

Saw you bought a new car expecting to get the whole car but you only ended up with a car with no wheels you'd want the company you bought it from/the company who made the car to either give you a refund or have people finish your car so you can get the most use out of it. I know a game is a little bit different to a car & it's going to be a bit hard to get a refund for TWD The Final season due to Telltale going bankrupt but I'd much prefer to have a finished game that I paid for then to try & get a refund I'm more then likely not going to get

5 minutes ago, qwerty407 said:

well I got TWD collection for free, so its not a total loss.

Thats the whole reason why i preordered this season rather then wait a month or two. After all it was cheaper then buying both separately or waiting for the collection to go on sale again so it seemed like a no brainer at the time. Regardless if these talks go through sucessfully i do expect episode 3 will get delayed a month or two(possibly longer) since they have to sort out legal issues, license transfers, contacting the former members who are still available, ect. But im willing to wait if it means we actually get to see this game finished properly.

21 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Nothing i said is aggressive lmao if I had used all caps then this would make sense. I'm simply stating facts.

250 people lost their jobs, and you said you could care less. Really sad you don’t appreciate the people that make the games you like to play, saying that is pretty agressive sir, shame on you. Have some sympathy. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2018 at 10:48 PM, Soufwar said:

250 people lost their jobs, and you said you could care less. Really sad you don’t appreciate the people that make the games you like to play, saying that is pretty agressive sir, shame on you. Have some sympathy. 

Losing a job is part of life. All I care about is I get what I pay for. And as others have stated all these people are going to land on their feet with other big ass companies so no I don't feel bad about people losing their jobs. 

Edited by rolltideroll157
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, The Titan said:

dZqBBzu.jpg

I'd go there even if not TT folks. Job opportunities everyone! I make great coffee! Nothing like a great a person making coffee to motivated everyone to work harder and longer and overtime.

4 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Let it be a lesson to never buy games with the promise that they will "finish it over time"

Except for the fact that consumerism doesn't work that way lol.

It's illegal for stores to advertise and accept money for a product and then not deliver without giving a refund. IF Telltale doesn't follow through on the final two episodes, the store that accepted the money for it is on the hook, whether it's Sony or Microsoft or Steam. It's not a lesson for me cause consumerism laws protect me. It's a lesson for stores to not carry "finish it over time" games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Except for the fact that consumerism doesn't work that way lol.

It's illegal for stores to advertise and accept money for a product and then not deliver without giving a refund. IF Telltale doesn't follow through on the final two episodes, the store that accepted the money for it is on the hook, whether it's Sony or Microsoft or Steam. It's not a lesson for me cause consumerism laws protect me. It's a lesson for stores to not carry "finish it over time" games.

Thank you. I don't understand how people don't realize this.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Thank you. I don't understand how people don't realize this.

Exactly.  People are saying Telltale is protected by bankruptcy, but the company on the hook for refunds, etc is the provider (Sony in our case).  They accepted the risk with Telltale, not us.  

• Like 1

I made this topic to talk about trophies and to hear about updates from TellTale/The Walking Dead Season 4. 

Can we please stop the whole ‘it’s sad that people lost their job’ discussion?

We’re on Psnprofiles.com, not LinkedIn. Of course it’s sad, but we don’t have to share our opinion wether we think it’s ‘not a big deal’ or that people have to ‘show some decency’. 

Let’s stick to the reason why we’re here: trophies and enjoying great games :)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sten_dardo said:

I made this topic to talk about trophies and to hear about updates from TellTale/The Walking Dead Season 4. 

Can we please stop the whole ‘it’s sad that people lost their job’ discussion?

We’re on Psnprofiles.com, not LinkedIn. Of course it’s sad, but we don’t have to share our opinion wether we think it’s ‘not a big deal’ or that people have to ‘show some decency’. 

Let’s stick to the reason why we’re here: trophies and enjoying great games :)

It's sad that people lost their job. Discuss

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

It's sad that people lost their job. Discuss

I know this is a gaming website  (still think it's weird that some people claim it to be a site only for trophy hunters, but that's a discussion for another day), but it's very weird seeing people essentially say "people should stop posting it's sad that Telltale employees lost their jobs, I just want to talk about the impact it has on me and my trophies". Can't we have both at the same time? Is it so hard to say "I'm pissed that I may be left with an incomplete product, and I hope the developers land on their feet"?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Titan said:

Dude, those people that lost their jobs have job experience. Uibsoft, Gearbox and tons of others have already stated that they are willing to help TellTale ex-employees. 

dZqBBzu.jpg

Plus at least these people had a job at one point. People like me who have no job experience and have been struggling to find a job for over 3 months are the ones you should feel bad about. 

Come on. Most of those employees moved to the SF Bay Area -insanely expensive!!!- for these jobs! Have some sympathy - they live paycheck to paycheck in a highly expensive area, just lost their jobs, their health insurance, their stability and their passion projects and professional community - supposedly there was someone who moved to SF for TTG in the past month alone.

Sorry, but I *very* much feel badly for the former TTG employees - if you have an issue with that...? Tough. You don't know these peoples situations, and to say every single last one out of hundreds will land on their feet and be just fine is rather offensively narrowminded and thoughtless. Maybe one of them has a pregnant wife who now no longer has health insurance - or a sick child. Maybe someone who *isn't* a dev/coder -HR, art, VA, etc.- doesn't have a chance in Hell of finding a new gig anytime soon.

Also: The fact TTG has now confirmed TWD's final season is *NOT* finished and will not release without an outside 3rd Party coming in and saving things...? Expected, but goddamn what a horrific company (the senior management, that is). Two goddamned months from being done - the whole damn thing should be 95% finished at this late date. If it requires a 3rd party savior here and now, they never intended on finishing it by mid December and this whole "Complete Final Season" deal was a forthright scam as the senior corporate staff tried to eke out as much extra $$$ as they could before the ship went down in flames. 

I mean, Episode 3 was a month out, Episode 4 two months - of an episodic release for the umpteenth sequel to a franchise on an existing game engine. Everything but the polish should have been complete on this - if it wasn't, more proof of corporate shenanigans to outright illegality on the part of the corporate/executive TTG staff. I simply cannot fathom that the final season remains in a largely unfinished state at this late date, yet that apparently is the case...?

My God what a $#!ttily run company. Good luck to the senior management/corporate execs getting new jobs - their best bet will be avoiding making license plates in prison from the sounds of it.

Well, the season pass is now removed from the store. According to some people on reddit telltale themselves requested it to be temporally removed from gog(and i assume they asked other stores to remove it as well since its also gone on steam, dont know about xbox but i assume it will be gone shortly as well) so i assume they did it because of that lawsuit happening because of the sudden shutdown. Since telltale claims its only temporary this could go either way since none of telltales other games have been removed as of this post(except poker night 2 but they announced that before this drama started).

9 minutes ago, jgm4789 said:

Well, the season pass is now removed from the store. According to some people on reddit telltale themselves requested it to be temporally removed from gog(and i assume they asked other stores to remove it as well since its also gone on steam, dont know about xbox but i assume it will be gone shortly as well) so i assume they did it because of that lawsuit happening because of the sudden shutdown. Since telltale claims its only temporary this could go either way since none of telltales other games have been removed as of this post(except poker night 2 but they announced that before this drama started).

Did episode two ever go live on the store today before the decision to pull it all?