THQ Nordic’s shopping spree

Soufwar

They're buying stuff cheap, releasing a relatively easy and cheap HD-er version of it, testing the waters and interests, and seeing how it goes.

Whether they're doing it to build interest in old series and flip them to someone else, or to make their own sequels potentially, who knows.

Either way, they're gunning and I love it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

They're buying stuff cheap, releasing a relatively easy and cheap HD-er version of it, testing the waters and interests, and seeing how it goes.

Whether they're doing it to build interest in old series and flip them to someone else, or to make their own sequels potentially, who knows.

Either way, they're gunning and I love it.

I don’t think THQ Nordic will flip these IPs because they know they won’t be considered legitimate, and they won’t have the same respect as say Ubisoft if they started doing that, they know that the easiest way of becoming a respected publisher is by making good games for gamers. 

Mall the remasters and remakes they’re doing are honestly good, I hope they remaster the entire catalog of games they have and keep taking forward moving on (future consoles) everytime there is one. And I hope they greenlight new games like Darksiders too, they are doing well so far. They just need to focus on what they’re doing and keep doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently read an interview with two people from THQ Nordic, one being the founder and the other one the financial director or something like that. They said they buy these trademarks because they think old games still deserve a place in today's market and they usually buy games they played extensively themselves. It is part fan service and part business at least I got the impression. But it still remains to be seen what they really do with all these trademarks, so far they did nice enough job with most releases.

Regarding Amalur, they only have the right to make a new one since Microsoft still holds the distribution rights for the old one.

27 minutes ago, Durandal said:

Regarding Amalur, they only have the right to make a new one since Microsoft still holds the distribution rights for the old one.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

There it goes the people's dream of an Amalur Remastered Edition for the PS4.

I just one a new one improving from the original, not fan of MMOs which was the original project for the sequel, well actually their main project since the beginning.

6 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

I just one a new one improving from the original, not fan of MMOs which was the original project for the sequel, well actually their main project since the beginning.

I agree with you. That was even the biggest problem with the game in my opinion. The more I played the game more it reminded me of an MMO, it felt like they wanted to put too much into the game and consequently forgot their main goal. But still a good game I love the combat! If only the last third of the wouldn't have been such a drag. But there might still be hope for a remaster, if THQ and MS can agree on a new deal.

• Like 1

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn’t be suprized at all if they filed for bankruptcy (again) because they’re eating more than they can chew! Or in this case, they’re claiming more studios than they are making money of their games.

Every single game they’ve released since the THQ & Nordic Games merge, excluding Darksiders 3, is a remaster of an already existing game. De Blob 1 & 2? Red Faction: Guerilla Re-Mars-tered? Looking at the game owners for Red Faction: Guerilla on PS4 on this site, it’s clear no one cares for THQ remasters.

Also what were the sale figures for Darksiders 3? Miserable? Good! Metro: Exodus doesn’t seem to have any major fanfare at all! Meanwhile I’m seeing a lot of people exitied over Anthem, but that’s not because it’s by Bioware or because EA is, you know, EA! It’s because THQ Nordic purely exists to preserve the copyright status of THQ IPs after their closure.

Before the merging, both Nordic and Deep Silver were performing terribly. Not so much finantually, rather as a “Quality” publisher. And this is where Deep Silver comes to play. Homefront: The Revolution is the “Battlefield 4” or “Fallout 76” sequel of an already garbage game by THQ. Remember the hype surrounded by the first game? Worst of all, Dead Island 2 was announced over FIVE YEARS AGO and yet there’s still no concrete release date? Duke Nukem: Forever, anyone?

I only ever knew “THQ” as a brand for their shitte kids movie tie-ins. Remember Megamind? The then “Most Shameful Platinum Trophy”? Remember the U Draw? The “Wii U GamePad for your X-BOX 360 and PS3”? IMO not a bad idea but just like The WonderBook, barely any games revolved around it. Now it forever sits on a display shelf in the “Peripheral Hall Of Shame”. The only people who cared for those were, you gessed it: Trophy Hunters! If this is the case then you something went horribly wrong.

I believe I’ve said enough. Any oppositions?

Finally someone else who wants to talk about THQ Nordic. I've been following them since mid 2017 and by god they have just been eating up old abandoned IP's that were once popular. My only hope is that they release some more of those games soon. Red Faction hasn't seen a sequel since the original THQ went under when Armageddon was released. Destroy All Aliens hasn't seen anything since Path of Furon which was literally over a decade ago now. Alone in the Dark hasn't seen a sequel in a while let alone a good one. However what was the biggest acquisition that I hope gets new life from THQ is TimeSplitters which has been dead in the water since Future Perfect came out in 2005. I honestly think a modern day sequel could work well and I think the franchise deserves it. Of course all those games are only a footnote in the huge library of games THQ Nordic owns that deserves sequels and remasters. However I am worried now with the release of Darksiders 3. It was THQ's first big release of a franchise they have bought and revived and while I haven't played it reviews have been mixed with people saying it's like a really good fan project rather then simply a really good game. I only hope THQ's future releases are something more special. For the sake of THQ 2.0 and for the franchises that they are trying to revive.

7 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

I believe I’ve said enough. Any oppositions?

Do I have oppositions? Golly, do I ever!

Alright, firstly. Metro: Exodus? No hype? Are you kidding me? Metro is one of the best shooters of the decade, and it is a beloved series. Metro: Last Light redux has over 100 thousand players on PSNProfiles, half that of God of War, which is the game of the fucking year. And it's a remaster. Metro 2033 Redux, a remaster of an almost ten year old game, has over 60 thousand. Those are good numbers. Numbers that are going to translate into people wanting to play the sequel to what are, unarguably, masterpieces. 

Secondly, THQ has absolutely nothing to do with THQ Nordic. Nothing. Nordic games capitalized on THQ's downfall by buying up a lot of their IPs, and changed their name to reflect the change. That was it. THQ as a company really has nothing to do with this discussion.

As an afternote, while Agents of Mayhem certainly did not do well financially, it is in no way indicative of bad quality games. I platinumed it and it is an incredible game, and would have done much, much better if people hadn't gotten angry at it from before conception because it wasn't a Saints Row sequel.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Alright, firstly. Metro: Exodus? No hype? Are you kidding me? Metro is one of the best shooters of the decade, and it is a beloved series. Metro: Last Light redux has over 100 thousand players on PSNProfiles, half that of God of War, which is the game of the fucking year. And it's a remaster. Metro 2033 Redux, a remaster of an almost ten year old game, has over 60 thousand. Those are good numbers. Numbers that are going to translate into people wanting to play the sequel to what are, unarguably, masterpieces.

I’m not asking for a bad game, but why am I seeing no one (outside of purposely created discussion threads or other direct articles about this title) taking about this game? Is this already the “Hiddem Gem of 2019”?

5 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

As an afternote, while Agents of Mayhem certainly did not do well financially, it is in no way indicative of bad quality games. I platinumed it and it is an incredible game, and would have done much, much better if people hadn't gotten angry at it from before conception because it wasn't a Saints Row sequel.

Not a bad game by any means. But if it was THAT good, why did it commertially flop so badly? I understand that even in the cinema industry some well liked movies flop commertially (The Road To El Dorado & The Iron Giant) while other “rage quitters” (Star Wars: The Last Jedi) end up making great profits. So again, is this because no one really took interest of it? Or is there something I’m missing? You did say people were miffed of it not being a Saints Row sequel, so I guess this game shouldn’t be mentioned because it was the “fans” who were responsible for flopping?

Now to discuss the common misconception of spin-off games, particulary “spin-offs” to well known video game IPs. Does anyone know what spin-off even is? Did anyone question Tales From The Borderlands because it wasn’t an “actual” Borderlands title even though the game itself had “Borderlands” on the f****ng title? Did anyone question Far Cry: Primal for it’s era setting?

Did anyone question Battlefield: Hardline focusing on Cops & Robbers over military warfare? Acually, people did, and as a result it’s completely overshadowd from being a good game for being a “Battlefield” title. It’s only good if you ignore what the franchise was previously known for. Same with Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One. Like it for being a good co-op game, not a Ratchet & Clank title. I cannot say the same for Full Frontal Assault if you know what I mean. *insert Mr. Bean image here?*

Did anyone question Metal Gear Risin... Oh wait. I should NEVER compare that inevitable disaster to the incorrect idea of spin-offs (don’t get me started on Umbrella Corps). This game was ultimately doomed from the beginning. It’s almost as if Konami knew the game would flop, so instead of creating an all-new frachise, they’re only “saving grace” was to asociate the Metal Gear franchise with a completely irrelivant game all together!

I should mention Zombie Survival games have been bad since Dead Rising 4. Can’t wait for Days Gone to be Sony’s first “failed” exclusive since Knack! That’s how toxic and overrated the genre really is. Also, why TF did Far Cry 5’s 3rd expansion have to be about zombies? Ubisoft can’t compete with Call Of Duty otherwise?

SPEAKING OF ZOMBIE GAMES: even Overkill’s The Walking Dead doesn’t look like it’s acheiving anything! The only video game publisher that ever made anything out of HBO’s “flagship” television series (based off the graphic novel of the same name) is (to absolutely NO ONE’S suprize) Telltale Games.h This is a belief MANY people can agree with, despite the “Unpopular Opinion Penguin” comments I made about THQ Nordic like I’m the next Jim Sterling!

Speaking of “Boy Genius” Jimbo, Remember his review on The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild? Doesn’t it feel GREAT to differ? I’ll admit, It takes geeting use to being “Hooked On A Feeling” but “you know I had to do it to ‘em!”

Unfortunately for Telltale, those “Days (are literally) Gone.” (See what I did there?) Even Activi$ion’s “The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct”, released the year after the first episode of Telltale’s The Walking Dead Season One, was poorly reviewed by critics at IGN (4.5 out of 10 as of January 27th 2019 1:17 AM Australian Eastern Standard Time) and the average critic score percentage on Metacritic is currently sitting at 35%!

Konami be like: “Hey kids! You like Metal Gear? You like Zombies? Here you go! Metal Gear Survive. As if any of Hideo Kojima’s overlooked projects matter anymore!” I must say, Konami really killed two birds with one stone with this one! Not only is it (firstly) Not a “traditional Metal Gear” game, (secondly) It’s not really a “single player” game is it? (thridly) “The Walking Genre” that is literaly “undead”, Zombie Survival games and last (but not least) anti-consumer buisness practices. As long as Kojima is not around to dictate games to his own liking, Konami is free to “nickel & dime” their consumers, EVEN AFTER paying money for the game itself. Paying for games was enough for companies before 2006 (the official “seed” of internet gaming on consoles) so how enough just not enough anymore?

I must admit, Konami was forgiving for not charging full price 60 USD, but any game with microtransactions and other “optinal” in-game purchases, REGARDLESS OF THE GAME’S PRICE TAG (even if it’s only 99 cents!) is completely unexceptble!

Should I remind anyone the OP’s topic message. He asks “what is your input into all of this?” I dare you, I DOUBLE DARE YOU to ask “Okay Google/Siri/Alexa, define ‘input’.” Only to discover the secondary definition is the SYNONYM TO OPINION. Did YOU (who’s reading this) come here with the expectations to agree with everything everyone has to say? I sure hope not!

Edited by Skeptical69

11 hours ago, Skeptical69 said:

All things aside, I won’t pity THQ Nordic if they do ever go broke (I can see this coming more than I saw Telltale Games shutting it’s doors). If ever so they ironically brought it on themselves. If they buy more IPs than they do sell games that’s how (mafia) bankrupcy works.

HOWEVER I will pity any who lose their game development jobs because their company shut down. But why did they choose to work for THQ Nordic over anyone else?

EA has an “interesting” reputation and has since as early as the 6 Generation (2000-2006) but has never gone as far as it is now. You’ll notice a lot of developers from EA Studios (looks at Bioware) departed from the company because they clearly knew something went wrong. They couldn’t share this information for legal reasons, of course. There hasn’t been anything negative reported about THQ Nordic since the merge, but I won’t be wiping any tears in the (eventual?) future.

THQ's eventual closure is as sure as any company. Every company will eventually close no matter how long they have been open. Sears is a great example of that while it has been open for over 100 years it now faces bankruptcy (Which it might emerge out of but not the point). Nordic is a different company then what the original THQ was and the fact that you aren't even giving them a chance to be good is kinda ridiculous, and while yes I do feel that with Darksiders 3 they have started off on the wrong foot. They do have the potential to be a good game company and shed the mediocrity that was the original THQ. 

41 minutes ago, VelikyNovgorod4 said:

They do have the potential to be a good game company and shed the mediocrity that was the original THQ.

They already are a good game company, just not in the console market. They have an excellent reputation in the PC gaming community. Spellforce 3 is a good example but it is more then that. They have released a lot of good games over the years for PCs. It's just that these games don't aren't very popular on consoles, games like Elex, Book of Unwritten Tales or The Raven Remastered. Which is a real shame because they are excellent game. Here is a list of games they have released so far. And if you check the comments they get on this site when they release something new then you will see their reputation. And I think they have a good enough position in the console market at the moment to become an even better company. And they are also not just about buying trademarks and releasing remakes.

Biomutant is actually a very interesting title for PCs and consoles alike and it is one of the few new trademarks THQ Nordic owns.

Edited by Durandal

2 minutes ago, Durandal said:

They already are a good game company, just not in the console market. They have an excellent reputation in the PC gaming community. Spellforce 3 is a good example but it is more then that. They have released a lot of good games over the years for PCs. It's just that these games don't aren't very popular on consoles, games like Elex, Book of Unwritten Tales or The Raven Remastered. Which is a real shame because they are excellent game. Here is a list of games they have released so far. And if you check the comments they get on this site when they release something new then you will see their reputation. And I think they have a good enough position in the console market at the moment to become an even better company. And they are also not just about buying trademarks and releasing remakes.

Biomutant is actually a very interesting title for PCs and consoles alike and it is one of the few new trademarks THQ Nordic owns.

I didn't know about their PC reputation (Other then that Elex was very buggy and boring). But I do know that THQ isn't just about remakes but the only new game that is considered to be a "big release" so far is Darksiders 3 which got mixed reviews. Like I said in my original paragraph I am worried over how their next "big releases" will be received.