RIP Telltale Games

Willreaper41

So the big news should come to a shock to everyone but it seems the developer Telltale games has shut down (for the most part). It is not clear why this is, no news suggested they were struggling so it is difficult to tell at this time what prompted the closure. For all you wondering, yes the currently running The Walking Dead Final Season has also been canceled and will end after part two which will be released in a few days. The only game still being worked on is the Minecraft Story game (supposedly for contract reasons). So anyone hoping for any of the planned projects in the future, all dead.

9 hours ago, Crzy Minus said:

More like:

Fuck Telltale Games, for not giving severance payment to all the employees they fired and already finding alternatives to finish their half-baked game their staff has been working on in the first place.

I believe most of their staff were contracted, not in-house employees. Most contractors never get severance or notice.

Honestly, I'm not overly surprised. 

TWD and TWAU where both very well received and pushed TellTale into the 'big time'.  However, I haven't seen much hype for their releases since.  People seemed underwhelmed by TWD Seasons 2 & 3.  Guardians of the Galaxy and Batman were generally considered relatively not good.  I've had the impression for a while that their sales were drifting down.

300 Employees means they were spending a lot of money to make their games, and that isn't considering all the actors who are exactly cheap.   

Seems like success spoiled a good thing.  They got too big too fast.  Ended up with too many people and too many projects.  Quality declined, sales dropped and then the bottom feel out.

• Like 1