Dualshock 5 (What would the PSNP community want)

snakebit10

Touch Pad, Keep it or it's gotta go.  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Sony to keep the touch pad and develope it more or do you want it removed for Dualshock 5?

SO with some talk and rumors beginning to swirl about a next generation PlayStation, it has me wondering about the next iteration of the controller. Even though I like the size of the controller. Fits my large hands perfectly, I think the touchpad has been implemented rather poorly. It don't seem many games are really using it much. Some of the earlier PS4 games did like Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son.

What does the PSNP community want to see in the next controller.

Please Vote in the poll.

I don't think the touchpad serves any real purpose and it just serves to take up space on the controller. I can't say I've ever played a game that has really justified its existence.

Having said that, I think the touchpad pretty much has to be in the Dualshock 5 now if the PS5 is to be fully backwards compatible with PS4 games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

I don't think the touchpad serves any real purpose and it just serves to take up space on the controller. I can't say I've ever played a game that has really justified its existence.

Having said that, I think the touchpad pretty much has to be in the Dualshock 5 now if the PS5 is to be fully backwards compatible with PS4 games.

You do make a good point. One of my most wanted features is that we will be able to transfer our digital library over. So yeah the touchpad would have to remain.

• Like 1

They either keep the touchpad almost exclusively for backwards compatibility, because devs have already committed to not giving two turds about it, or they do the right thing and allow DualShock 4 controllers to work on PS5 for backwards compatibility. I don’t see Sony doing both, as they’ve been cutting corners with BC since PS3, so I’d rather they axe the touchpad and let me use my existing controllers. They can always do a software workaround for people playing with DualShock 5, like hold down the returning “select” button and use right analog or something, where otherwise it would just work like a press of the pad anyway.

• Like 1

I would like the touchpad to be gone. Nothing takes more battery life than this almost useless function. I never played a game which really used it properly. The share and options buttons could be larger then, they are way to small. Everything else about dualshock 4 is great and should stay that way. The controller lays perfectly in my hands.

Edited by Solid-Fisch
  • Like 1

Considering that the Sixaxis function is still present with the Dualshock 4 (even though it's not used that often), I guess that the touchpad will be transferred to the next controller version as well. 

Nevertheless I don't see much of a bright future for this gimmick. Reading magazines or playing piano with it in Detroit Become Human didn't prove as THE next-gen-experience I was utterly longing to be a witness of, especially now that the PS4-era comes to a slow but certain closure. 

My suggestion is to sacrifice the Sixaxis-, touchpad- & color- features for an extended battery duration of the controller and a reasonable price. I'm posting this on my behalf only but I don't need any speakers or vibration features either (the latter one could still be interesting for core gamers, though personally I feel distracted by it).

Aspects like a good and lasting coating for the analog sticks and good grip appeal to me much more than some cursorily added features. 

I don't think the touchpad is needed tbh. As for BC couldn't they just do something similar to what they've done for PS2 classics? The right and left side of the touchpad act as "Start" and "Select". 

As for what I'd want out of the DS5? 

• Longer last battery
  • Quieter button noises
  • Better pause button placement (not the touchpad but the "Options" button)
  • R2/L2 buttons that don't trigger just by thinking about them. <_< 

15 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I don't think the touchpad is needed tbh. As for BC couldn't they just do something similar to what they've done for PS2 classics? The right and left side of the touchpad act as "Start" and "Select". 

This would works for some games but not all. There are games that require you to swipe or drag your finger across the touchpad. I also played a game called Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match recently that used all four corners of the touchpad as buttons which I wasn't even aware was a thing.

Like somebody else mentioned, they could make Dualshock 4 controllers compatible with the PS5 which would solve the problem, but it brings up other issues. First of all, it would be cumbersome to keep two different controllers around that serve different purposes. It would also mean they have to keep manufacturing Dualshock 4 controllers through the entirety of the next generation.

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

This would works for some games but not all. There are games that require you to swipe or drag your finger across the touchpad. I also played a game called Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match recently that used all four corners of the touchpad as buttons which I wasn't even aware was a thing.

Like somebody else mentioned, they could make Dualshock 4 controllers compatible with the PS5 which would solve the problem, but it brings up other issues. First of all, it would be cumbersome to keep two different controllers around that serve different purposes. It would also mean they have to keep manufacturing Dualshock 4 controllers through the entirety of the next generation.

It should come as no surprise by now that my knowledge on games isn't nearly as in depth as others. :P 

I do wonder how common those types of games are. :hmm: I know on AC Origins you could scroll the map with it but it's useless since the analog is smoother.

I do like @jrdemr's suggestion of just making the touchpad have both sides be pause/select. Since the touchpad is basically a big ass select button just the bottom right corner could be the start button. In the almost 3 years I've been playing on the PS4 the "Options" button has just proven to be an uncomfortable button to get to and press.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was thinking the light bar thing, I wasn't paying attention, though the touch pad is also pretty useless, but it's not annoying, so I don't care either way.

DS5 either needs to be the classic DS1-3 or actually commit to copying Xbox because the half way between DS and XB thing they have now just makes for an average controller with no real unique feel to it. The Xbox One remote feels premium as fuck (well, the launch one anyway, the newer one's L1/R1 buttons feel a bit crappier tbh), the DualShock 3 is the perfect remote for the other end of the spectrum. If Xbox is a big, sturdy, premium feeling thing, the DualShock 3 is a fantastic smaller style remote with a lightweight feel to it that screams ready to go whenever, wherever. If the Xbox control demands your attention and focus, the DS3 is the more laid back and approachable, friendly kind of controller. 

I look at the DualShock 3 as being the best of the past, and the Xbox controller as being the hard core modern controller. The DualShock 4 feels like a step between the two styles and while it's nice at first, after a good while it really does just feel like it does neither justice. 

It's got the bigger feel which is nice, but it's not big enough or spaced as well as I would personally like (this whole thread is about opinions, so don't come in and say I'm wrong, it's an opinion, not a fact), the joy sticks feel like shit and wear WAY too easily, and while the remote is bigger than the DS3, that space is mostly occupied by a 97% useless touch pad that rarely gets used and outside of inFamous' QTE usage and the LAUNCH GAME Killzone's use of it, it's basically just a start or select button but way big. Get the fuck rid of it if you won't use it properly, or use it properly, either one, but don't have it and don't do nothing with it. That stupid light bar can fuck right off too, it's kinda cool at first to have a different color for player 1, 2, 3, etc but holy shit is it annoying 9.9 times out of 10 when you just wanna play a game and not have an obnoxious blue light in your peripheral vision all the time. Back when I actually played my PlayStation, I loved playing in the winter, because I'd have a doona covering that stupid bar. And the slim / pro controller is even worse, it makes the light come through the touch pad too, as if both weren't bad enough on their own, now they're combined. Fuck the DualShock 4.

As for what I'd actually want going forward, here's the bullet point version

I. Dual Shock 3 AND Xbox style option. Sell them both, include both in the box, or sell them separate, whatever, but don't try to respect both crowds, just actually sell both of them, it's fine, so long as there's no exclusive buttons, you're not screwing anyone out of anything, you're just offering more options, which is always good.

II. PUT A FUCKING DECENT BATTERY IN THERE, JESUS. (tbh it might be the light bar that drains it so much, I'll never know since they don't let me turn it off)

III. Get rid of that stupid fucking light bar. You tried, you failed, no game really uses it, you did try though, but accept it, no one wants it, move on.

IV. Bit of a left field one, but if VR is gonna be a focus in the future, have an option for Switch style controllers that can be used like a normal remote in a little grip thing, but then ripped apart and used for left and right hand movement in VR. That would be sweet. I will NEVER pay a hundred and twenty odd bucks for the current dildo looking controllers, and I'm the one missing out, because I would LOVE to play Superhot VR, but no game is worth ANOTHER 120 on top of the whole VR kit's price.

V. No speaker either. It's kinda the same as 3, but just get rid of all the pointless shit. No speaker, no touch pad, no light bar, just make it fucking work.

tbh the whole list just boils down to "keep it simple, stupid", and make the design more adaptable to VR out the gate