New DLC might be coming

HailHale81

6 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I just finished "Hard" mode; apparently, I'm one of only 3 people to have bothered so far. It took a few hours, and really wasn't difficult at all—the enemies are still just as simple to hide from until they despawn, you get plenty of lantern oil to keep your sanity up in dark areas, and there were always enough tinderboxes to pay for a save before the potentially troublesome sections. The game seems to only allow you 8 tinderboxes at once, since more wouldn't appear whenever I was carrying 8. Found quite a few laudanum potions and oil canisters, though.

The only trouble I ran into was the Inner Sanctum (endgame): the rituals just aren't balanced for hard, and killed me via sanity loss. I actually had to stand at some candles after the first blood sacrifice, until my sanity was restored. That made it survivable.

How I chose to use my saves:

-Beginning of Cellar Archives (flooded area, with invisible enemies).

-Before entering The Prison.

-Morgue, right before the vaccination.

-Beginning of Choir - Main Hall, where you collect some orb pieces from the torture rooms.

-Chancel, before breaking the gear.

Well that is good to hear at least. From what I have been reading elsewhere it sounded like it was going to be a pain in the ass to do. Glad to hear the enemies are still stupid. 

If Hard Mode is unlocked from the beginning, as it should be for all games (I hate the trend of forcing multiple playthroughs when some people can do it on the first), I wish I waited to play this since I just got plat in October. Sigh.

The gameplay was not good enough to force this bullshit trophy this late. I personally liked AMFP more but SOMA bested this whole collection by a wide margin.

Edited by SliK6SiK
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I just finished "Hard" mode; apparently, I'm one of only 3 people to have bothered so far. It took a few hours, and really wasn't difficult at all—the enemies are still just as simple to hide from until they despawn, you get plenty of lantern oil to keep your sanity up in dark areas, and there were always enough tinderboxes to pay for a save before the potentially troublesome sections. The game seems to only allow you 8 tinderboxes at once, since more wouldn't appear whenever I was carrying 8. Found quite a few laudanum potions and oil canisters, though.

The only trouble I ran into was the Inner Sanctum (endgame): the rituals just aren't balanced for hard, and killed me via sanity loss. I actually had to stand at some candles after the first blood sacrifice, until my sanity was restored. That made it survivable.

How I chose to use my saves:

-Beginning of Cellar Archives (flooded area, with invisible enemies).

-Before entering The Prison.

-Morgue, right before the vaccination.

-Beginning of Choir - Main Hall, where you collect some orb pieces from the torture rooms.

-Chancel, before breaking the gear.

Thanks for the tips. I've been busy with Prey so i'll play this dlc later.

One question: i don't remember exactly how the mechanic works in this game. We'll need finish all the 3 games on Hard mode, so...seperately? For ex, choose Game A, finish it on hard mode, closure, then move to Game B, etc, like this?

43 minutes ago, aimeraya said:

Thanks for the tips. I've been busy with Prey so i'll play this dlc later.

One question: i don't remember exactly how the mechanic works in this game. We'll need finish all the 3 games on Hard mode, so...seperately? For ex, choose Game A, finish it on hard mode, closure, then move to Game B, etc, like this?

Only The Dark Descent is required. 

On 2019-03-25 at 5:44 PM, Asmund89 said:

WOW.....adding some bullshit years later as a fuck you very much to anyone who bothered to complete it the first time....Frictional Games you shall be avoided in the future.

Nah, it’s only a bad thing for trophy hunters, which is only a small minority of all gamers. If you view it the other way it’s surprise extra content for an older game that might be nice to revisit. And it’s free. Literally the only downside is to the few anal completionists like us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EstebanFox said:

Just got the hard mode trophy. It was a shameful waste of time. 

What was the hardest part in your opinion, or at least the part that was more difficult than others if nothing was hard?

I'm at the jail cells and not enjoying myself just want to know if it's downhill from there.

4 hours ago, Asmund89 said:

What was the hardest part in your opinion, or at least the part that was more difficult than others if nothing was hard?

I'm at the jail cells and not enjoying myself just want to know if it's downhill from there.

Not the person you asked but the jail was probably the worst for me other than the Storage section, it’s pretty dark and confusing. Was also one of the few places I died at but that was because I didn’t check corners properly. I thought the levels seemed mostly easier towards the end. The choir room late on has a lot of enemies but you can go a certain route around so you don’t encounter any.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished hard mode with only 3 saves. The game gave me only 14 tinderboxes :-(

This walkthrough video with commentary is absolute brilliant! He also increased the gamma for the video, so you can actually see something.

Edited by lonny2001

• 1 month later...
On 23.03.2019 at 5:00 AM, RigbySanchez439 said:

All this for a silver trophy? :( FFS, Slyde offers 11 gold trophies and 2 silvers for a 1 minute platinum yet this game only offers the value of 2 bronze trophy for such a difficult task! I know I’ve played a lot of easy platinums but this is insulting. It hurts my eyes looking at AG over AU.

But Slyde is a shitty game for trophy whores. Don't compare it to Amnesia.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 1:53 AM, XileLerinril said:

Not speaking from experience, but I have been doing some reading about the new mode. I would say it is now a 6 or a 7 depending on how you do with stealth games. It seems that you can get about 4 saves on average in the game. I have seen a mini guide that recommends where and when to save, and how to get through the areas. The issue is that you now die from sanity loss, so you can be hiding in a corner waiting for a monster to go away and BOOM heart attack, fuck you go back an hour. With persistence it is all but guaranteed that you will get through, its all just going to depend on rather or not the game wants to be an asshole about it. This is such a dumb fucking trophy to, as you are discouraged from taking in the game. Read notes, loses sanity and die. Hide from monsters, lose sanity and die. Explore for items to save your game, lose sanity and die. For a game meant to be mostly narrative, with minor stealth aspects, shoehorning in janky stealth requirements on a 10 year old game is just aggravating. No one wants to go back and do this shit. Honestly if you want to play this just get it for a like a dollar on steam and do it there. This trophy is to much of a pain in the ass to bother with unless you REALLY like this game.

So, in other words, stupid, sucky, poorly thought out hard mode that requires watching a video. Great.

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, in other words, stupid, sucky, poorly thought out hard mode that requires watching a video. Great.

Yup. Doing it without a guide is sure to end up in repeated deaths. Following a video its literally watch 5 min, pause, play game, pause, watch, repeat. More a 4/10 then the expected 6/10 I said earlier. Still really annoying to have to come back to a game that I "knew" was done. 

• Like 2

Why are you shitting on the game just because of a trophy? I know this trophy sounds really stupid and uncessary but this game was phenomenal back in the day and still is. A trophy won't change that. Wow. People react like it is the end of the world. Really amusing.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the challenge of this new difficulty. I did do it right after doing my collectibles run though, so everything was fresh in my memory. I can imagine it wouldn't be as fun for players who locked in the 100% a while ago and have to either use a step by step guide or suffer through a lot of trial and error.

In general though, I'll never complain about getting new trophies that we can choose to earn (or not). New trophies are always better than no new trophies.