TellTale Closure Update

PSXtreme_

On Friday, Telltale Games made the shocking and sad announcement that it was enacting a "majority studio closure,"resulting in the loss of more than 200 jobs. According to developers who were there, as part of the shutdown, Telltale Games employees were told to leave the building within 30 minutes after the news was announced. More info has been released this morning...

TellTale Closer update...

Pretty bizarre situation, I feel for the employees who are now out of work.

I'm surprised Telltale was doing so poorly since the way they were pumping out new properties and episodes of their games, things seemed pretty good.  Must've spent a ton of money securing bigger properties like Batman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Game of Thrones, etc... because it never really seemed like a ton of money was spent improving the engine or overhauling game design.

I'm personally hoping the final Walking Dead season somehow finds its way to getting finished.  Was waiting for it to conclude to re-play the first two seasons, play through A New Frontier and wrap everything up with a pretty little bow.  Now I'm not sure what to do. xD

I picked up a disc copy of The Wolf Among Us for PS4 in memory of Telltale and go alongside TWD, Borderlands and Batman and round out the parts of their portfolio that I cared about.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 minutes ago, Xillia said:

Huh? Why weren't they allowed to just pick up their stuff after the meeting?

I've been through a lay off, and that's what companies do; they see you to the door without notice and shut it behind you.  It's cold and heartless, but the only way a company can think to handle potential liability by letting folks return to their desks regarding property, communications, ideas, etc.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dragon-Archon said:

According to other articles employees were forced to leave the building within 30 minutes after hearing they lost their jobs.

Yeah I know, that's what I thought was strange. Made it sound like they were running from a fire or something lol.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Guessing they probably wanted everyone out ASAP after they knew they were being terminated... to prevent people going to their desks and putting critical game designs/assets/source onto a thumb drive, or deleting/sabotaging everything, or whatever.

Ahhh I guess that makes sense. I didn't think of that.

How long will it take Sony to pull Telltale‘s games from the store as a result of this? I‘m still a long way from getting back into PS4 games currently, but if these great games are gonna get delisted you should probably buy them asap before it‘s too late. I still remember how gutwrenching GoT was, but It was a remarkable experience nevertheless.

3 minutes ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

How long will it take Sony to pull Telltale‘s games from the store as a result of this? I‘m still a long way from getting back into PS4 games currently, but if these great games are gonna get delisted you should probably buy them asap before it‘s too late. I still remember how gutwrenching GoT was, but It was a remarkable experience nevertheless.

I doubt it, since Kingdoms of Amalur could be bought after the company went down. Same with Darksiders 1 and 2.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I doubt it, since Kingdoms of Amalur could be bought after the company went down. Same with Darksiders 1 and 2.

This situation is more complicated though, as the publisher is closing down and most of their games are licensed.

Can the games continue to be sold without a publisher? Who would get the money from the sales?

Can another publisher buy the rights the games? Would they even want to given they wouldn't own the IP?

4 minutes ago, mekktor said:

This situation is more complicated though, as the publisher is closing down and most of their games are licensed.

Can the games continue to be sold without a publisher? Who would get the money from the sales?

Can another publisher buy the rights the games? Would they even want to given they wouldn't own the IP?

It would work similar to what happened with Kingdom of Amalur, whichever state the company filed bankrupcy in would own their subsidiaries.  Therefore, the state would earn the revune from any of that companies sales.  As for the licensing thats a whole different ballgame, I think it would depend on what the companies that own the right to that franchise would want to do at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Guessing they probably wanted everyone out ASAP after they knew they were being terminated... to prevent people going to their desks and putting critical game designs/assets/source onto a thumb drive, or deleting/sabotaging everything, or whatever.

In my first job I was fired on a Monday morning, but my boss told me to spend the rest of the day finishing my pending jobs. While I did it, I grabbed the contact of some potential clients that I felt liked me as a person more than the company I represent and put all my projects in a thumb drive. I modified the project with a friend who was also fired after the end of the same month with ideas I was going to present on the Friday of the week of my firing, and sold it to some of the contacts I saved. 

Rushing a employee out of the door sucks, but it's really a necessity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Figures it probably prevents them from taking/selling off the devkits as well. 

3 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

According to other articles employees were forced to leave the building within 30 minutes after hearing they lost their jobs.

Years of service, involvement, dedication, crush pressure, extra hours - and then kicked out like a shit... In many countries this is just unthinkable. God bless America ?

1 hour ago, ElBolovo said:

Rushing a employee out of the door sucks, but it's really a necessity.

Not if you treat them with decency, care and consideration. I’ve been fired once and stealing data from the company didn’t even pop to my mind, because I had been treated like a person, not like an expendable pawn...

2 hours ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

Poker Night 2 has been delisted already. I knew I should of bought those TT PS3 games when they were on sale last winter. ?

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2026-NPUB31210_00-POKER20000000KEY

16 minutes ago, Jamescush147 said:

Poker Night 2 has been delisted already. I knew I should of bought those TT PS3 games when they were on sale last winter. 1f644.png

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2026-NPUB31210_00-POKER20000000KEY

Poker night 2 was delisted 11 days ago and had nothing to do with the studio closing.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/09/13/poker-night-2-delisted/

Licensing agreements ended

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GTRP_Lancerlover said:

There's no reason for complete games to be delisted due to bankruptcy. However, PSN should absolutely take down TWD: Final Season if they haven't already.

2 hours ago, mekktor said:

If I'm not mistaken, sales can continue, and the money would go toward paying creditors and the like. Though TellTale may be bankrupt, their creditors will still want their money (even if they don't issue stock, I'm sure they've issued bonds at some point). Even if they've paid all of them off, the money could still be taken in.

As far as another publisher buying the rights, that I don't know. All of this licensing shit just screws everything up. Who knows who would get what?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Years of service, involvement, dedication, crush pressure, extra hours - and then kicked out like a shit... In many countries this is just unthinkable. God bless America 1f615.png

It's not only in America, it's you safeguarding the company, some people don't take too well being fired and they could lash out with the data in the office or something else, as soon as they leave, the minor rhe risk.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

1 hour ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Not if you treat them with decency, care and consideration. I’ve been fired once and stealing data from the company didn’t even pop to my mind, because I had been treated like a person, not like an expendable pawn...

Even if the employer was the most kind, caring person who is going down with the ship with you, you CANNOT be certain that someone who just lost his livelihood will go out without getting something so he can get by for a while or seek another job, specially if there is a mass layoff like this case.

Edited by ElBolovo

• 7 months later...