Devil May Cry 5 has multiplayer and microtransactions

MidnightDragon

>multiplayer DMC

oh no

>maybe there will be a cooperative Blood Palace mode

OH NO

(The whole microtransactions thing has been adressed by the team, and I'm inclined to not give them too much BS over it. Might have been not even their decision, since microtransactions were forced into DMC4SE post-release)

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 1

I'm a little worried, but if they're done the way they were done for DMC4SE, then it'll be fine. Those microtransactions are just there for really lazy people. There's absolutely no need for them at all, but they can speed up progression if you don't want to find everything yourself.

As long as the cost of everything isn't increased to make paying more appealing, I'm fine.

For what I can remember of DMC4, by the time I got to Dante Must Die difficulty Red Orbs were useless because I already had everything. I never specifically grinded for them but I did redo some missions for the S ranks.

I would need to look at my Youtube videos of my gameplay to be sure, but I think I had over 1 million red orbs that I had no use for.

1 hour ago, AndresLionheart said:

As long as the cost of everything isn't increased to make paying more appealing, I'm fine.

For what I can remember of DMC4, by the time I got to Dante Must Die difficulty Red Orbs were useless because I already had everything. I never specifically grinded for them but I did redo some missions for the S ranks.

I would need to look at my Youtube videos of my gameplay to be sure, but I think I had over 1 million red orbs that I had no use for.

Yeah, i had my "all skills" trophies before I finished normal, plus the amount of robs was increased in SE :D

As long as they don't make it much more time consuming to grind out Red Orbs for the sole purpose of making you want to invest in microtransactions, then I'm cool with it.

That's the only drawback to these microtransactions that speed things up. Sometimes developers might just make the grind much longer so that you'll break and just pay to speed it up.

The great old days are gone. I remember there used to be secret "free" cheat codes for these things in almost every game. Like Up Up Down Down X at the title screen. But if I could enjoy the game a bit more without stressing over orbs, for a couple dollars more. Ok.

17 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

The mobile gaming industry and platform gaming industry work in different ways, and companies need to realize this.

Micro transactions have been around way longer than the mobile gaming scene. Honestly, it boils down to whether you want to buy them or not. Do if you want, Don't if you don't want to. People make these things harder than they need to be

1 minute ago, majob said:

Micro transactions have been around way longer than the mobile gaming scene. Honestly, it boils down to whether you want to buy them or not. Do if you want, Don't if you don't want to. People make these things harder than they need to be

True, mostly with MMORPG's.  But the mobile scene was the one that really started capitalizing on micro-transactions after launching free games, and I'd say is the catalyst to what we have now and everything people don't like about them.

49 minutes ago, majob said:

The problem with micro-transactions is that frequently the grind in the game is purposefully made a lot slower in order to entice you to buy items (red orbs in this case) with real money. It's not like these things are some kind of "extra option" as so many developers want you to believe. If they put the option there to buy something with real money, then it's because they want you to use it, otherwise... they just wouldn't have put it there. Great examples of this are Battlefront II and Shadow of War, where the entire game had to be rebalanced after microtransactions were taken out of the game - meaning that the game was rigged from the very beginning to have a very slow grind to entice you to speed up your progression with real money.

I'm not saying that this will be the case in DMC5. As mentioned by many people, it could work exactly the same as in DMC4SE, where not only did you not need to buy them, the grind was actually made faster in comparison to the original DMC4. The thing is, from the moment microtransactions were put into the game, they lost the benefit of the doubt. If they really just wanted to give us "the option" to speed up the process, they could have just let us buy as many red orbs as we wanted for free. Nothing's forcing them to make us pay real money for them if that's only what they wanted. But if they did put that buyout behind a paywall... then it's because they want our money, not to give us an "option".

• Like 2

Sadly this has pushed the game from being a Day One purchase to a "Wait-and-See" 

I don't care whether the game balancing is unaffected, putting unnecessary microtransactions into games is bullshit. People are gonna buy them and only encourage this shit. Vicious cycle.

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

The problem with micro-transactions is that frequently the grind in the game is purposefully made a lot slower in order to entice you to buy items (red orbs in this case) with real money. It's not like these things are some kind of "extra option" as so many developers want you to believe. If they put the option there to buy something with real money, then it's because they want you to use it, otherwise... they just wouldn't have put it there. Great examples of this are Battlefront II and Shadow of War, where the entire game had to be rebalanced after microtransactions were taken out of the game - meaning that the game was rigged from the very beginning to have a very slow grind to entice you to speed up your progression with real money.

I'm not saying that this will be the case in DMC5. As mentioned by many people, it could work exactly the same as in DMC4SE, where not only did you not need to buy them, the grind was actually made faster in comparison to the original DMC4. The thing is, from the moment microtransactions were put into the game, they lost the benefit of the doubt. If they really just wanted to give us "the option" to speed up the process, they could have just let us buy as many red orbs as we wanted for free. Nothing's forcing them to make us pay real money for them if that's only what they wanted. But if they did put that buyout behind a paywall... then it's because they want our money, not to give us an "option".

Thing is, what the developer wants you to do and what you yourself will do are two different things. I won't say that MCT can't be scummy because some obviously are but my thing is that you the consumer have the ability and right to not pay for them. So do, or don't, but don't treat it like it's something you're being compelled to buy because you aren't. Devs do this because someone, somewhere, has decided they want to spend money on this system and good for them, they can do what they want with their money, I'm not going to complain about it because I just won't spend my own. MCT stop when they stop being profitable, there's no way around that one. Buy in, or don't, they're not holding a gun to your head and making you do it at the end of the day

5 minutes ago, majob said:

Thing is, what the developer wants you to do and what you yourself will do are two different things. I won't say that MCT can't be scummy because some obviously are but my thing is that you the consumer have the ability and right to not pay for them. So do, or don't, but don't treat it like it's something you're being compelled to buy because you aren't. Devs do this because someone, somewhere, has decided they want to spend money on this system and good for them, they can do what they want with their money, I'm not going to complain about it because I just won't spend my own. MCT stop when they stop being profitable, there's no way around that one. Buy in, or don't, they're not holding a gun to your head and making you do it at the end of the day

There's a difference between being forced to buy the microtransactions and the entire game being rendered unbalanced because of their presence. That's what we're worried for, because if that is the case, then the game is unbalanced for everyone, regardless of who actually pays extra or not.

Also, there's literally no downside - to publishers, that is - to including the option to purchase things through microtransactions. Even if no one actually buys them, it's no real skin off the developers' back. It's not like they wasted a whole lot of time and money just implementing the microtransaction system, should be pretty simple. They have a whole lot more to win than they have to lose, so I don't see them going away soon - unless, that is, publishers grow an actual pair and start valuing their respect for their customers more than their wallets.

But make no mistake: in the majority of cases, whenever microtransactions are present in a game, you are being compelled to buy them. Not forced, but compelled. Most publishers wouldn't implement a system like that in a game and then put no incentive for people to use it.

Let's just hope this game is one of the exceptions...

• Like 2