Studios will attempt to save The Final Season

16 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

They confirmed that the entire Walking Dead team was let go and that the people that remained where there to work on a show for Netflix. So unless ghosts in the office are going to finish it, it surely means that they are not finishing it.

Correct, they're down to a skeleton crew focused on the Netflix thing, but that's not to say whomever they're in talks with couldn't fund their walking dead crew long enough to come back and finish (surely 2 more months of work is better than being let go on such short notice without severence), or that the remaining 25 couldn't be repurposed to finish the last 2 episodes, which may or may not already have work done on it.

I think the walking dead license is going to prevent them from selling or outsourcing the project.  Depends on the legality of it

Edited by AJ_-_808

25 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Correct, they're down to a skeleton crew focused on the Netflix thing, but that's not to say whomever they're in talks with couldn't fund their walking dead crew long enough to come back and finish (surely 2 more months of work is better than being let go on such short notice without severence), or that the remaining 25 couldn't be repurposed to finish the last 2 episodes, which may or may not already have work done on it.

I think the walking dead license is going to prevent them from selling or outsourcing the project.  Depends on the legality of it

At the end of the day, all I want is a little more transparency. This vague "oh we might pull something off" crap isn't good for anybody. If they weren't potentially holding millions of fan dollars hostage that would be fine. But when they know there's hundreds of thousands of people waiting for a clear answer, they could recognize that and screw off with this vague crap.

See, you and me have to speculate wtf they're talking about because they won't just come out and make it clear and that's just not fair to the consumers that supported them for the years they kept their heads above water.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

At the end of the day, all I want is a little more transparency. This vague "oh we might pull something off" crap isn't good for anybody. If they weren't potentially holding millions of fan dollars hostage that would be fine. But when they know there's hundreds of thousands of people waiting for a clear answer, they could recognize that and screw off with this vague crap.

See, you and me have to speculate wtf they're talking about because they won't just come out and make it clear and that's just not fair to the consumers that supported them for the years they kept their heads above water.

They really can’t make a clear statement dude, I mean come on, you must be unaware of what’s going on fully.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

11 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Hopefully it gets finished for those that paid for it. It's ridiculous that they released their employees without any notice or severance.

https://www.allbusiness.com/employment-contract-bankruptcy-and-severance-a-complicated-situation-14372538-1.html

And the employees knew what was happening, and what kind of industry they're in...

Finally, if the employees get more money or not, that's not the topic of this thread.

Edited by MMDE

33 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

They really can’t make a clear statement dude, I mean come on, you must be unaware of what’s going on fully.

They 100% could say "We're not making it right now, contact your distributor for a refund. We may find a way to finish it down the road and at that point it will be available for sale again so save the money and buy it at that point".

There is absolutely zero reason they can't do that. The only thing stopping refunds at this point is them dragging their feet.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MMDE said:

They had plenty of time to find a new job, and they knew what they went into.

You're completely out of touch with reality and incapable of empathizing if this is how you really feel.

40 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

There is absolutely zero reason they can't do that. The only thing stopping refunds at this point is them dragging their feet.

Well, that and the fact they're bankrupt. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

Well, that and the fact they're bankrupt. 

That doesn't matter. It's up to Sony to give refunds. If they don't have the money to reimburse Sony than that's between them. Consumerism laws exist to protect buyers in situations like this.

But Sony will use any excuse to stall that fact and Telltale is just handing them the ammo to do it.

48 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

You're completely out of touch with reality and incapable of empathizing if this is how you really feel.

No, I'm saying you guys are. It's not about being unable to empathize, which you can do without mentioning it everywhere, but rather that the reality is that they know what kind of industry they are in and they could see it coming. It's common in the gaming industry that companies don't last longer than a couple of years. They know they gotta work their ass off all the time. And they knew they might lose their job soon, so they should have been looking for other jobs. Furthermore, the company did have a bad business culture. They ramped up everything way too fast once they hit one gold ore (TWD), and they weren't mainly hiring based on skills, and has been found attacking some fans. Some who had to leave earlier got their "leave package", but the rest should have seen it coming and prepared by looking for another job. However, this is usual when the company go bankrupt and they tried to stay afloat to the very end, they may not get any severance pay.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

I think we'd all love more transparency, and to that point all I can add is a) I dont think they can outright say "hey we're in talks with xyz about funding" (can they legally name names?) and b ) maybe give them a little more time to get a grasp on the situation.  This just happened over the weekend, everyone's heads are still spinning I'm sure.

I think if refunds are going to happen via Sony, then they'll happen once there's a clear resolution, whether it's tomorrow or next month.  It'd be interesting to know exactly how much money they got from pre-orders.

Full disclosure, I didn't pre-order, so I dont have anything at stake, just tired of everyone immediately calling for refunds when 375 people just lost their jobs

13 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

just tired of everyone immediately calling for refunds when 375 people just lost their jobs

To be fair, pretty much everyone in the world has lost a job at some point. Trying to minimize peoples stake in it with that point is ridiculous and something I've seen everywhere the last few days. That's like saying I shouldn't want my 30$ back because there's broke homeless people living on the streets... Or I shouldn't spend my 30$ at McDonalds because there's starving kids in Africa. I got my own problems, I can't dance around other peoples.

Sorry if that sounds heartless but that's life.  I'm empathetic towards them but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be worried about myself.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 4

Not minimizing other people's stakes in it, just neglected to emphasize the the word 'immediately'.

The preorder was what, $30?

You got episode 1 and episode 2 is going forward as planned, so you got half of what you paid for so far.

So $15? If you (not you specifically, king) are so hard up for $15 that you spent on a pre-order X weeks/months ago, then you may need to reprioritize your hobby.

Yes, almost everyone has lost a job at some point, but it's not everyday a company shutters with little to no advance notice. Give them more than a couple of days before calling for heads to roll.

35 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Not minimizing other people's stakes in it, just neglected to emphasize the the word 'immediately'.

The preorder was what, $30?

You got episode 1 and episode 2 is going forward as planned, so you got half of what you paid for so far.

So $15? If you (not you specifically, king) are so hard up for $15 that you spent on a pre-order X weeks/months ago, then you may need to reprioritize your hobby.

Yes, almost everyone has lost a job at some point, but it's not everyday a company shutters with little to no advance notice. Give them more than a couple of days before calling for heads to roll.

It's 30$ whether I got half of it or not, I wasn't advertised as half of it, I didn't pay for half of it. As for giving them a couple days, it's been almost a week and I don't know anymore now than I did then. That's my issue.

I dunno, we're obviously never going to agree so I'm probably going to stop here. It was actually nice to have a civil debate over something that didn't turn ugly though. That's not something that happens everyday lol.

8 hours ago, Jay_Cash said:

I can't find it anymore, it seems they removed it with the store update today. I'm able to download Episode 2 through the actual game, though. Not sure how that works since it has to connect to the store to download. 

Edit: It's been officially pulled from stores for now

Should have done it sooner but at least no more unaware consumers will purchase a product that might not get finished.

It's still listed in EU stores. As a heads up for anyone who is interested in acquiring it for whatever reason, an EU account is for now still your last chance to do so before this store also follows suit. Extra heads up, it's actually a separate trophy list from this NA version.

Edit: NA store updates on Tuesdays, while EU store updates on Wednesdays, so if you're in the above category you might wanna hurry.

Edited by NamoPh

8 hours ago, MMDE said:

https://www.allbusiness.com/employment-contract-bankruptcy-and-severance-a-complicated-situation-14372538-1.html

And the employees knew what was happening, and what kind of industry they're in...

Finally, if the employees get more money or not, that's not the topic of this thread.

I understand the situation, that's why I called it ridiculous not illegal. And there were people that were hired about a week prior to the layoffs.

5 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

It's 30$ whether I got half of it or not, I wasn't advertised as half of it, I didn't pay for half of it. As for giving them a couple days, it's been almost a week and I don't know anymore now than I did then. That's my issue.

That's not usually how it works, at least legally. For example, if I buy a new home, and they leave off a toilet paper holder in one of the bathrooms, I can't say, "Sorry, but you advertised a full product, and didn't deliver, so I want my money back."

You have every right to complain about the fact that TellTale owes you half a product (I'm not sure what that guy was on about "reprioritizing your hobby"), but I don't see a world where you would be given a full refund. If you do get it, congrats, but I wouldn't expect it.

10 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

That's not usually how it works, at least legally. For example, if I buy a new home, and they leave off a toilet paper holder in one of the bathrooms, I can't say, "Sorry, but you advertised a full product, and didn't deliver, so I want my money back."

You have every right to complain about the fact that TellTale owes you half a product (I'm not sure what that guy was on about "reprioritizing your hobby"), but I don't see a world where you would be given a full refund. If you do get it, congrats, but I wouldn't expect it.

It's illegal for a store to advertise something, accept money, and not follow through. There's no argument to be had here, you're wrong... on more than one level lol.

Real estate doesn't fall under the same consumerism laws so your example is irrelevant. And besides, your example is just flat out wrong. If you buy a house and find something wrong with it, they have to give you your money back. They have to disclose any and all problems or they're on the hook. That's the point of escrow, a grace period to back out if issues arise.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

It's illegal for a store to advertise something, accept money, and not follow through. There's no argument to be had here, you're wrong... on more than one level lol.

Real estate doesn't fall under the same consumerism laws so your example is irrelevant. And besides, your example is just flat out wrong. If you buy a house and find something wrong with it, they have to give you your money back. They have to disclose any and all problems or they're on the hook. That's the point of escrow, a grace period to back out if issues arise.

What are you talking about? Real estate doesn't fall under the same "consumerism" laws? Of course it does. While certain details might change, the basics of civil law remain the same. Like any other civil case, you have the right to be made whole. If your house is missing a toilet paper roll, they have to come back and put the roll in, or give you the money to put the roll in yourself. They don't have to refund your money. Ridiculous.

Also, "escrow" is not the same as "grace period". I don't know why you mention them both in the same breath. 

It's the same with this. Did you play an episode of TWD? If so, they don't owe you for that. They only owe you for what they failed to produce. You can "lol" all you want here; it doesn't make a difference. No one owes you $30 if TWD doesn't finish its season. You might get that money, but it's not because of any legal standing you hold. The law entitles you to compensation for whatever portions of the product you did not get. That's it. 

And honestly, that law likely doesn't apply here, either, since TellTale is bankrupt. I suppose you could argue some respondeat superior claim that Sony owes you the difference, but good luck with that one. I hope you get your money. But prancing around on the forum claiming that you're entitled to it is silly. You have no entitlement to the money for episodes to which you have access, and you probably have little entitlement to anything else as well.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

It's the same with this. Did you play an episode of TWD?

Nope, never even added them to my download list and now they're delisted so I don't even have the option.

But either way, you're wrong. Sony sold it and advertised it as 4 episodes, if 4 episodes don't come out that's false advertising and HIGHLY illegal. Telltale and their bankruptcy has nothing to do with it at that point. It's on Sony. If you go to Walmart and buy a game then get home and find out the case is empty, you take it back to Walmart, you don't call the developers looking for a refund. PSN is a retailer and follows the same rules as every other retailer.

Oh and as for the real estate thing. People can back out during escrow for anything they want. People can back out of escrow because they found a nicer house if they want too.

You can argue all you want but every post just shows more and more how ignorant you are on the subject.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MMDE said:

No, I'm saying you guys are. It's not about being unable to empathize, which you can do without mentioning it everywhere, but rather that the reality is that they know what kind of industry they are in and they could see it coming.

I call bullshit. When people lose their means to provide for their families it's about being able to empathize to me. Moreover, saying "they could see it coming" or they should have been looking for other jobs is NOT empathetic. 

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ex-telltale-games-employee-files-class-action-laws/1100-6462029/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0c

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

What are you talking about? Real estate doesn't fall under the same "consumerism" laws? Of course it does. While certain details might change, the basics of civil law remain the same. Like any other civil case, you have the right to be made whole. If your house is missing a toilet paper roll, they have to come back and put the roll in, or give you the money to put the roll in yourself. They don't have to refund your money. Ridiculous.

Also, "escrow" is not the same as "grace period". I don't know why you mention them both in the same breath. 

It's the same with this. Did you play an episode of TWD? If so, they don't owe you for that. They only owe you for what they failed to produce. You can "lol" all you want here; it doesn't make a difference. No one owes you $30 if TWD doesn't finish its season. You might get that money, but it's not because of any legal standing you hold. The law entitles you to compensation for whatever portions of the product you did not get. That's it. 

And honestly, that law likely doesn't apply here, either, since TellTale is bankrupt. I suppose you could argue some respondeat superior claim that Sony owes you the difference, but good luck with that one. I hope you get your money. But prancing around on the forum claiming that you're entitled to it is silly. You have no entitlement to the money for episodes to which you have access, and you probably have little entitlement to anything else as well.

Good luck.

It is Sony that owes the refund, though, as they're the ones that sold it. If you bought a physical game from Amazon that didn't work you'd go to Amazon not the game developer. 

And whether you played half the game is irrelevant - it was sold as a complete season, not on an episode by episode basis. From the consumer rights act, which is legally binding :

The Consumer Rights Act defines digital content as ‘data which are produced and supplied in digital form’. 

This means you have rights in relation to anything you download or stream, including apps, ebooks, films, games or music.

Digital content must be:

• Of satisfactory quality
  • Fit for a particular purpose
  • As described by the seller.

Note the last one: it was described on the store as 4 episodes. If only two are delivered then legally a refund is owed (to use Amazon as an example again, if a game crashed and stopped working halfway through, you wouldn't send it back and ask for half your money back) - they broke from their previous business model for this game, where you could buy things an episode at a time (and if they had kept to that refunds would not be owed on the individual episodes) - by explicitly describing the product as 4 episodes, the full amount must be refunded if four episodes aren't released. 

Release dates for those episodes weren't in the product description though, tellingly: there is nothing to stop Telltale from not cancelling the game, constantly saying they are working on the episodes, and not releasing anything, preventing refunds from being a legal requirement. 

10 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Oh, and while I'm waiting, you might enjoy this:

https://www.hg.org/bankrpt.html

Watch. I don't have to look up laws. We'll see when it all comes to pass. If episodes 3 and 4 don't come out I guarantee Sony will issue refunds. When that day comes, I'll make sure to inbox you. Even if they're not forced too, they'll do it just to avoid the PR shit storm. I don't have to prove anything cause time will do it for me lol. 

Edited by KingGuy420