Motion sickness

larshhh

It's the first person perspective...

Funny thing is: Mirrors Edge didn't make me sick, as long as I played it myself (watching somebody play is another story xD)

But I do get sick from others FP(S) games.

Examples: I could play the first FarCry, but not FarCry2. That's why I don't dare to just buy FC3.

Half-Life made me sick nearly instantly; CounterStrike needed a bit - but funny enough I could play CounterStrike: Condition Zero to no end.

Maybe CounterStrike got me on the wrong foot, I don't know.

I can play the Halo-series and Call of Duty 1-4 (no idea about the other CoDs) easily, Resistance (1) was weird, because it changed a bit.

Watch somebody play FPS doesn't work out most of the time.

I read in an article somewhere, the reason might be the movement: If the running, the hands, the weapons "bounce up and down" differently.

But I didn't test it so far. I usually try the game and if it works great, if it doesn't I cry into my pillow ;)

Edit: Ah, finding the link was pretty easy. For everybody who's interested, here's the article. And don't just hate away.

Here's another article that wasn't too bad.

Edit 2: Oh, and personally, I'm not as desperate to play a game, that I would take drugs against motion sickness. Seems a stupid reason to take them to me.

Edited by Latikos

i've gotten motion sickness from many different games. most of the time its when I start a new game that I haven't played before. When i first got Dead space 3, it made me sick. But that went away. The new spider man game I played gave me motion sickness, as well did Bioshock Infinite. but after a few days it seems to go away.

oh wow, i must be one of the lucky ones who never felt sick.

Be glad, that you are!

actually missed out on some games, I would have liked to play.

But as I said, to take anything so I could play a game, is not really an alternative for me ^^

I've never been motion sick period, but I have heard of people getting sick from the PC version of the game which I believe had the option to remove the cursor. Before now, I hadn't heard of the console version giving anyone motion sickness though.

Parker

I've been playing this game for the past few days. I guess I do get some motion sickness since it fatigues the hell out of my eyes after 2 hours but nothing like nausea or dizziness. This is one of the few games out of many that I played that causes it (Portal 2 being another that I can think of).

Edited by Cabhills

• 1 year later...

This game never gave me motion sickness, or have me feel some sort of reference to feeling dizzy. I played through the whole game, and there were some parts that I knew that would give me motion sickness, but surprisingly, they didn't.  Although I am one to be known to have motion sickness once awhile, since I have poor eyesight. And I think my glasses make me feel more motion sickness, like when I played the game "Dyad", as that game made feel dizzy, and my eyes hurt, and it made me feel like the world was spinning. I can only play like 30 minutes of "Dyad", before I start feeling sick, haha.

I've never gotten motion sickness from anything in my life. I can understand things like car sickness or sea sickness, but how does motion sickness from a video game work? I can't really understand the logic behind it. I know it has to do with how you visually see motion but don't feel it, but why does that cause a person to feel nauseous?

I've never gotten motion sickness from anything in my life. I can understand things like car sickness or sea sickness, but how does motion sickness from a video game work? I can't really understand the logic behind it. I know it has to do with how you visually see motion but don't feel it, but why does that cause a person to feel nauseous?

I've no idea really. Well, I know how it works, but I definitely don't know how to explain the reason. All I know is that the video-games that made me have motion sickness are the reason why I actually experienced the sense of having my eyesight worsen when I was kid, and since then, I had and still have to wear eyeglasses, but I feel as if my eyesight is decreasing, well, when I'm without glasses, that is. I don't even play as much as I used to, nor get close to the TV screen like I did when I was a little kid. I had a friend who couldn't play or even look at video-games set in motion without getting motion sickness, then literally having a seizure. As for you getting no motion sickness, if you dare to try out and play the game "Dyad", and you, for example, play it for like one hour non-stop, and you get no sense of motion sickness  FOR EVEN ONE BIT, THEN YOU ARE A...

I've no idea really. Well, I know how it works, but I definitely don't know how to explain the reason. All I know is that the video-games that made me have motion sickness are the reason why I actually experienced the sense of having my eyesight worsen when I was kid, and since then, I had and still have to wear eyeglasses, but I feel as if my eyesight is decreasing, well, when I'm without glasses, that is. I don't even play as much as I used to, nor get close to the TV screen like I did when I was a little kid. I had a friend who couldn't play or even look at video-games set in motion without getting motion sickness, then literally having a seizure. As for you getting no motion sickness, if you dare to try out and play the game "Dyad", and you, for example, play it for like one hour non-stop, and you get no sense of motion sickness  FOR EVEN ONE BIT, THEN YOU ARE A...

Actually, if you wear your glasses for a long time, your vision begins to grow dependent on them. So in a sense, yes, your eyesight is getting worse. I got Dyad for free on PS Plus, so I'll try it one day just to show you that I can manage.

Actually, if you wear your glasses for a long time, your vision begins to grow dependent on them. So in a sense, yes, your eyesight is getting worse. I got Dyad for free on PS Plus, so I'll try it one day just to show you that I can manage.

That I know, which is why I actually try not to get accustomed to wearing my eyeglasses. But nope, doesn't works, as all I can see is blurriness if looking at things from afar. Like before, I only wore glasses when I was school, and since I was one of the tallest guys in my class, I was sent in the back desks behind the whole class, so I had trouble reading at whatever the teacher was writing on the writing board, so I decided to only wear my eyeglasses in occasions like that. But after doing that for almost a year, I still was as blind as a damn bat! Hence, I had to wear my eyeglasses more. I guess that's what I get for playing too much video-games when I was a little kid, as well as getting a bit close to the TV screen. (well, I don't remember any of that, as it's vague to me, but my parents say that I tended to do that.) And ha, if you dare play "Dyad", play it at your own risk. The first levels are okay, but the more you progress, the more of a chance you have on getting motion sick, or even experiencing a seizure (if you have epilepsy or are susceptible to flashing lights, that is.)

Edited by jack21_98

That I know, which is why I actually try not to get accustomed to wearing my eyeglasses. But nope, doesn't works, as all I can see is blurriness if looking at things from afar. Like before, I only wore glasses when I was school, and since I was one of the tallest guys in my class, I was sent in the back desks behind the whole class, so I had trouble reading at whatever the teacher was writing on the writing board, so I decided to only wear my eyeglasses in occasions like that. But after doing that for almost a year, I still was as blind as a damn bat! Hence, I had to wear my eyeglasses more. I guess that's what I get for playing too much video-games when I was a little kid, as well as getting a bit close to the TV screen. (well, I don't remember any of that, as it's vague to me, but my parents say that I tended to do that.) And ha, if you dare play "Dyad", play it at your own risk. The first levels are okay, but the more you progress, the more of a chance you have on getting motion sick, or even experiencing a seizure (if you have epilepsy or are susceptible to flashing lights, that is.)

Luckily for me, only my right eye is complete crap. If I were to ever get eye-wear, I would only need a monocle. And I accept your challenge! I'll get to playing Dyad...10 years from now!

• Like 1

I know a couple or people who get motion sickness but it never bothered me. I have mirrors edge, just haven't started it yet. I have played Dyad and have beaten all but one trophy level. I've never had issues with it even when playing for multi hour sessions. That said I can easily see it causing some people problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's the first person perspective...

Funny thing is: Mirrors Edge didn't make me sick, as long as I played it myself (watching somebody play is another story xD)

But I do get sick from others FP(S) games.

Examples: I could play the first FarCry, but not FarCry2. That's why I don't dare to just buy FC3.

Half-Life made me sick nearly instantly; CounterStrike needed a bit - but funny enough I could play CounterStrike: Condition Zero to no end.

Maybe CounterStrike got me on the wrong foot, I don't know.

I can play the Halo-series and Call of Duty 1-4 (no idea about the other CoDs) easily, Resistance (1) was weird, because it changed a bit.

Watch somebody play FPS doesn't work out most of the time.

I read in an article somewhere, the reason might be the movement: If the running, the hands, the weapons "bounce up and down" differently.

But I didn't test it so far. I usually try the game and if it works great, if it doesn't I cry into my pillow ;)

Edit: Ah, finding the link was pretty easy. For everybody who's interested, here's the article. And don't just hate away.

Here's another article that wasn't too bad.

Edit 2: Oh, and personally, I'm not as desperate to play a game, that I would take drugs against motion sickness. Seems a stupid reason to take them to me.

gl with lego hobbit just platted it. AMAZING GAME