Alexios or Kassandra; who are you playing as?

Valyrious

Who is your main character?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your main character?

• Kassandra
    • Alexios

Kassandra! Firstly because I find it refreshing to play as a female character in a main title of the series (Evie was cool though), but mostly because I found they did a better job with her from all the previews I've seen. Also, I'm a bisexual woman so I can't wait to explore my romantic options (haha silly I know, but relevant to me).

• Like 4

I'm not sure if I'll be playing this game anytime soon but I'll play as Kassandra as she is the canon protagonist.  That being said, I just want to say that I find it extremely hilarious that people won't play her because it "doesn't make sense historically".  It's a fucking video game.  None of them make any sense.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iAlphaSoldier_ said:

I found this article that disagrees with your statement.

[...] So yes, we feature romance as an option for people, and there will be options for you. It doesn’t matter who you are, there will be an option that suits you.[...]

Dude. You totally didn't understand what I said. There are romances. Yes.  For both. But Kassandra has the option sometimes to slut her way to the reward, in no connection to a romance. 

5 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

You know what guys? I was 100% sure i'd play as Alexios, but after seeing this thread and doing a bit of research, i'm thinking of going with Kassandra. Is it true that she's confirmed as canon? I've read that her voice actor did a much better job than Alexios and that her personality is different and more fun?

It does seem like Kassandra is "canon". That term should be used rather loosely though. It kinda will put that cloud of doubt in people's heads about Alexios and think he's trash because he isn't the "canon" character.

I also see that the votes are now more one sided.

3 hours ago, HummelsSmythe said:

Kassandra! Firstly because I find it refreshing to play as a female character in a main title of the series (Evie was cool though), but mostly because I found they did a better job with her from all the previews I've seen. Also, I'm a bisexual woman so I can't wait to explore my romantic options (haha silly I know, but relevant to me).

Not silly at all; it's something that still isn't represented enough in games so if that's your thing, go for it!

3 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

I'm not sure if I'll be playing this game anytime soon but I'll play as Kassandra as she is the canon protagonist.  That being said, I just want to say that I find it extremely hilarious that people won't play her because it "doesn't make sense historically".  It's a fucking video game.  None of them make any sense.  

You're a nugget of wisdom, as usual. ?

"I find it extremely hilarious that people won't play as Alexios because he's not the canon character. It's a fucking video game. You can play as whomever you want and forget about what's canon in a game that will not have an Odyssey continuation outside of DLC."

See how easy it is to turn that around? 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

It does seem like Kassandra is "canon". That term should be used rather loosely though. It kinda will put that cloud of doubt in people's heads about Alexios and think he's trash because he isn't the "canon" character.

I also see that the votes are now more one sided.

Not silly at all; it's something that still isn't represented enough in games so if that's your thing, go for it!

You're a nugget of wisdom, as usual. 1f644.png

"I find it extremely hilarious that people won't play as Alexios because he's not the canon character. It's a fucking video game. You can play as whomever you want and forget about what's canon in a game that will not have an Odyssey continuation outside of DLC."

See how easy it is to turn that around? 

While I appreciate your attempt at flipping the script on me, your version of my post is completely off the mark.  I have no problem with anyone saying they're playing whoever because they want to, but to frame it behind some bullshit "historical reason" will get you called out.  I don't even care if that is your reason.  It's just funny to me that people won't play a female spartan because it's "historically inaccurate", but have no problem playing anything else that is not only inaccurate, but completely impossible.  Not to mention the fact that most of the people stating as such, know absolutely shit about history, specifically the Peloponnesian War.  Oh, and Assassins Creed Odyssey is a piece of historical fiction.  

3 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

While I appreciate your attempt at flipping the script on me, your version of my post is completely off the mark.  I have no problem with anyone saying they're playing whoever because they want to, but to frame it behind some bullshit "historical reason" will get you called out.  I don't even care if that is your reason.  It's just funny to me that people won't play a female spartan because it's "historically inaccurate", but have no problem playing anything else that is not only inaccurate, but completely impossible.  Not to mention the fact that most of the people stating as such, know absolutely shit about history, specifically the Peloponnesian War.  Oh, and Assassins Creed Odyssey is a piece of historical fiction.  

Do you know about the Peloponnesian War? I know for a fact that [the women] stayed at home. So, attempting to "call people out" for not wanting to play as a gender that historically was not part of that war is, as far as I'm concerned, as legitimate a reason as someone wanting to play as the female character because "they like her voice actor better".

It's good that you did mention the Peloponnesian War in particular, since Odyssey does take place during that timeline. So it's very relevant to the discussion at hand and how weird it is to see a female Spartan warrior. But, like you said, AC is, and always has been, a piece of historical fiction. As it always has been. And yet, you yourself said you'll play as Kassandra because she's canon. Not sure why "canon" matters much in a historical fictional tale...

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

It's one thing to knowingly walk into fiction and turn your brain off but when something prides itself on being based on history and tries to recreate events to the best of what's known is an entirely different matter and claiming ignorance of history is no excuse. And why is "historical inaccuracy" somehow not a valid reason to base one's playing decisions on? One of the reasons I've loved the AC series is despite the elements of historical fiction they still recreate the events and locations of their settings with exceptional accuracy and that's something I love as a history buff

• Like 2

At this point i am glad i have a choice. They dont have to add Alexios smd save the cost of script /animation / voice acting but they still do and i really appreciate. And according to report, they will continue to provide choice.  If it is other studio like EA they will force down those into player throat and call you uneducated.

I think play the way you want , dont worry about Canon or something.  Everyone have their preference and cant be change anyway.

That i mentioned, I see many ppl play her because of Canon. I wonder if it isnt the case, what will they choose? Are they going to choosebase on history or VA or else?

Edited by FielVeredus
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, FielVeredus said:

At this point i am glad i have a choice. They dont have to add Alexios smd save the cost of script /animation / voice acting but they still do and i really appreciate. And according to report, they will continue to provide choice.  If it is other studio like EA they will force down those into player throat and call you uneducated.

I think play the way you want , dont worry about Canon or something.  Everyone have their preference and cant be change anyway.

That i mentioned, I see many ppl play her because of Canon. I wonder if it isnt the case, what will they choose? Are they going to choosebase on history or VA or else?

Good points. I think the weakest argument out of all of this is playing based off who is canon. I'm all for canon too, but you try and tell Femshep fans that she isn't canon. They'll argue with you until you're blue in the face. 

I think the important thing that matters is liking the character, the voice actor, and in my particular case, how that character is going to look in the armor sets. Collecting gear is the biggest thing I care about in the AC games. I just prefer the Spartan armors on a male character, who would have participated in said war. Kassandra, while she is not a bad character in any regard, is not realistic in this setting at all. Again though, choice is good for those that want to play the game differently.

* Correction, collecting armor sets is one of the biggest things I care about in the last two AC games, since it only just became a thing with the latest entries to the series. *

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Max_Playne said:

I would like to play as Kassandra too. i just have a little doubt. I read (or saw on a video, can't remember) that Alexios and Kassandra are siblings. If this is true will they co-exist on the game like in AC Syndicate?

Well....................

Spoiler

They would but whichever sibling you're not got thrown off a cliff as an infant so no.

On 30/09/2018 at 6:00 PM, HummelsSmythe said:

This, for me too. Except I'm not a woman. And didn't know there was romance in the game. And I hadn't looked at many previews.

So basically, I just felt like playing as a woman for a change.

Its kinda funny seeing everyone saying it's weird or in accurate to see a lady warrior in this time period yet history and mythology both show that warriors where both genders equally I mean 1 of the big warrior lady groups are the Amazon's they all ladies lol and in sparta they trained both the whole lady's can't fight bit is a roller coaster the mentality comes and goes in history

On 30/09/2018 at 10:49 PM, angelgrievous said:

4 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Its kinda funny seeing everyone saying it's weird or in accurate to see a lady warrior in this time period yet history and mythology both show that warriors where both genders equally I mean 1 of the big warrior lady groups are the Amazon's they all ladies lol and in sparta they trained both the whole lady's can't fight bit is a roller coaster the mentality comes and goes in history

It is weird to me that in a series that has: experiencing ancestors' memories through your own DNA (or just dried up blood that's lying around in bodies or on stuff), Adam and Eve being not only real, but fabricated slaves to a super race, tea that can make you do crazy magic shit, dozens if not hundreds of alien-looking caves that just lie open yet have somehow never been seen by the general public, mind control orbs, a solar flare event in 2012 that never happened in real life, Monteriggioni being at least double its own size and containing a huge villa that isn't there in real life, mind-melding with birds and much, much more...

... That having a single woman on a small Greek island grow up as a mercenary because her 'guardian' thought she was of best use that way, somehow is beyond the suspension of disbelief.

• Like 3