Speedrun Trophy (The Blue Flash)

FielVeredus

OK, it seems some people already got it and it is currently 0.4% in global stat so after all it is pretty easy afte rall ?

I want to ask the one who already got it. Is it hard, what level of skill you have as mega man player ? Any tip ? Can I savescum ? When is the clock count and not count ?

On 10/1/2018 at 4:48 PM, qwerty407 said:

just because someone got it already doesnt mean its easy, some people are just really good at platform games.

It's not gonna be easy for the vast majority of players, and the ones who get it the quickest are likely playing this game nonstop right now. 

At a glance, I'm gonna guess that trophy will be about as difficult as beating Mega Man 10 without taking damage on easy mode, which wasn't that bad because you could save scum your way to Wily. Basically, if you're persistent you'll get it, but you also won't have much room for error and each level may require a few dozen attempts to get your time low enough to pass muster. 

I haven't touched the challenge modes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being worse than the speed run. 

My first attempt at the speedrun trophy I beat the game in 1 hour 4 minutes. I started with Blast Man cause I found his stage easy then just continued the loop. This attempt I started with Impact Man just to get his weapon. I'm about halfway done and it seems faster than last time.

UPDATE: I just beat the game in 59:42. I started with Impact Man like I said, and just went in order of boss weaknessess. So Impact > Bounce > Fuse > Tundra > Torch > Blast > Block > Acid. Make sure to exploit weaknesses on mid-bosses too, most of them have the same weakness as the boss of it's level. Use Pile Driver (Impact Man's weapon) as often as possible to move fast. Don't forgot about Rush either. You can use him to skip a lot of platforming challenges. For the Wily stages, as far as I'm concerned Yellow Devil has no weakness so I just bustered him. In Wily Stage 2 use Power-Geared Chain Blast to OHKO the towers. For the boss use Bounce Balls. For the final boss, phase 1 use Chain Blast (I powered it up but I never tested without it). Phase 2 I used Acid Armor, but it didn't seem to effective even though it is it's weakness.

Edited by elecmouse101
changed some vague wording
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, elecmouse101 said:

My first attempt at the speedrun trophy I beat the game in 1 hour 4 minutes. I started with Blast Man cause I found his stage easy then just continued the loop. This attempt I started with Impact Man just to get his weapon. I'm about halfway done and it seems faster than last time.

UPDATE: I just beat the game in 59:42. I started with Impact Man like I said, and just went in order of boss weaknessess. So Impact > Bounce > Fuse > Tundra > Torch > Blast > Block > Acid. Make sure to exploit weaknesses on mid-bosses too, most of them have the same weakness as the boss of it's level. Use Pile Driver (Impact Man's weapon) as often as possible to move fast. Don't forgot about Rush either. You can use him to skip a lot of platforming challenges. For the Wily stages, as far as I'm concerned Yellow Devil has no weakness so I just bustered him. In Wily Stage 2 use Power-Geared Chain Blast to OHKO it. For the boss use Bounce Balls. For the final boss, phase 1 use Chain Blast (I powered it up but I never tested without it). Phase 2 I used Acid Armor, but it didn't seem to effective even though it is it's weakness.

I have two questions:

1. Did you save between stages? I'm not sure if I should attempt saving more than once or twice because of the time it eats up. I'm thinking this needs to be treated as a single segment run.

2. Did you purchase any items from the shop, and if so, is there anything that made the run substantially easier to execute? IE, was the gear cooling system or the speed boost worth the time it'd take to purchase them? 

16 minutes ago, IllustroCado said:

I have two questions:

1. Did you save between stages? I'm not sure if I should attempt saving more than once or twice because of the time it eats up. I'm thinking this needs to be treated as a single segment run.

2. Did you purchase any items from the shop, and if so, is there anything that made the run substantially easier to execute? IE, was the gear cooling system or the speed boost worth the time it'd take to purchase them? 

I saved between every stage. I only reset if I made a major mistake. My run is no where near optimized.

I bought 4 items, Energy Balancer, Energy Balancer Neo, Auto-Charge Chip, and Buster Plus Chip.The buster upgrades are nice but you definitely don't need them. Energy Balancer Neo I would say is a must. I was using Rush and Pile Driver so often that that they were always out of ammo, along with constantly using whatever weapon is good for the situation I'm in.

Gear Cooling system I wanted, but I never unlocked it in that run lol. Would have bought that instead of the Buster Plus Chip if I had. Speed Boost is a great upgrade, but with how pressed I was for time there was no time to grind kills in slow motion, so sadly I had to pass on it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, elecmouse101 said:

I saved between every stage. I only reset if I made a major mistake. My run is no where near optimized.

I bought 4 items, Energy Balancer, Energy Balancer Neo, Auto-Charge Chip, and Buster Plus Chip.The buster upgrades are nice but you definitely don't need them. Energy Balancer Neo I would say is a must. I was using Rush and Pile Driver so often that that they were always out of ammo, along with constantly using whatever weapon is good for the situation I'm in.

Gear Cooling system I wanted, but I never unlocked it in that run lol. Would have bought that instead of the Buster Plus Chip if I had. Speed Boost is a great upgrade, but with how pressed I was for time there was no time to grind kills in slow motion, so sadly I had to pass on it.

Right - I keep forgetting the most useful parts are locked. I don't know the criteria for unlocking them, I just know when I was able to get them on previous playthroughs. Still, good to know I can count on it not unlocking since going for speed means there's no way that's unlocking on a run where you have a shot at this trophy. 

Gotta say, it's looking a lot tougher than I thought. Usually in an MM game you can comfortably finish them in 45-50 minutes by just learning the game. Here it looks like speed run strategies are a must, albeit while leaving plenty of room for error once you're at the point where you can reliably clear a stage with few/no deaths. 

I'm not complaining. I was afraid the platinum would be easy. Between this and the Dr. Light challenge room, I think I'm gonna be busy for a while. 

Thanks for responding. Any insight into the nuts and bolts of the game is highly appreciated.

I haven't attempted the speedrun yet. I've been running time trials to get acclimated to it, and I've watched the top ranked videos to learn some strategies. 

It's pretty surprising how easy it is to cut a minute or two off the gold reward time in the time trials. It doesn't look like there are any levels that take longer than 4 minutes to clear when you've got everything at your disposal, and the most important tools are Rush Coil and Impact Man's weapon. You can be miles off from optimizing a run and still finish in plenty of time. 

In terms of whether you've gotten a good enough run through a stage, I'd say 4 1/2 minutes looks like where you want to top out. If it takes longer than that to clear a section, reload. At least, that's gonna be my strategy - I'm gonna make an exception for Bounce Man's stage since I know I can make up the time on Torch Man's or Tundra Man's stage. I almost had a sub 4 minute time in the latter but I died once (at the boss) on my first successful attempt. Still, I got the gold medal with ten seconds to spare, and if that's any indication of how much breathing room you've got in an actual run, I'm not too worried. 

I think the main thing I'd say - having not achieved it myself as of yet - is to watch the top five time trials for each level, or at least one of the top five for each level. That's been a lifesaver. I'm not skilled enough to pull off a lot of the strategies they use, but they show off a lot of easy ways to shave a minute or more off your time.

Edited by IllustroCado

On 10/4/2018 at 8:18 PM, elecmouse101 said:

Ya I never did challenge mode until after the speedrun and I didn't really practice either. I just kinda winged it. :P

I just got it myself with a total time of 56:23. 

For those wondering - this isn't nearly as bad as the Dr. Light trial. You can at least gather or buy E-tanks. It turns out that's all I ended up getting; I bought two right before I fought Wily so I didn't have to reload if I slipped up during the fight. Granted, this might've been a lot easier for me because I got gold medals on five of the time trials and I finished the Dr. Light trial before attempting it, but I'd still say this is the easier trophy on the basis that you can save, reload, and take a breather between different parts of the run. (Although I will say, the practice I got on the Yellow Devil in the Light trial made a world of difference in my run.)

It took several days worth of attempts for me to clear the Dr. Light trial. I started my speedrun last night and finished it this morning. Blue Flash looks a lot more daunting than it is.

For those who want tips -

I started with Block Man and followed the weakness chain. I finished Acid Man with just under 10 minutes on the clock. It took me about five minutes to get through Impact Man's stage without a wider array of special weapons. Bounce Man's stage was horrible; I was afraid it was going to kill my run seeing as it added about 7 minutes to my time. I decided to keep going because I hate speed running that stage and figured there'd be enough wiggle room to make up for lost time. 

None of the other stages took more than four minutes, averaged out. I cleared the first Gear Fortress stage in about 3 1/2 minutes, and I'd say that's crucial. You can practically fly through that stage with Impact Man's weapon, and the Yellow Devil goes down really fast if you use the powered up version of Blast Man's weapon on him. (And for people having trouble with it, remember that the yellow blocks always come at you in the same pattern when he splits apart. Once you've learned the pattern, that's the only pattern you need to remember.)

The second Gear Fortress stage depends on using special weapons efficiently to clear enemies out of your way. Torch Man's weapon is the star of this stage; Blast Man's weapon wipes out the skull columns in one hit with the power gear. Tundra Man's weapon is great for clearing Sniper Joes. 

Practice the boss rush in the challenge mode if you need to. It shouldn't take much longer than 5 minutes if you know when you can hit the bosses. 

Wily himself shouldn't take more than 4 minutes to reach and defeat. If you have a time over 55 minutes, restart or go back to an earlier save. At 55 minutes, it might be close, but it's doable. I entered the last Wily stage with close to 53 minutes on the clock and finished the stage well under 4 minutes. You can wipe out Wily's first form within 30 seconds if you make good use of Blast Man's weapon. I took on the second form with the regular buster because I found hitting him with anything else to be more of a headache than it was worth. 

I died three times and used one E-tank in this run. I died fighting Bounce Man and I died intentionally against the second Wily boss. I had one random slip up during the last leg of Fuse Man's stage, and I kept going because I'd just hit a checkpoint. 

If you die and you weren't near a checkpoint, reload. That's probably the most valuable piece of advice you could follow. If you think you'll die fighting a boss, die intentionally ASAP; don't waste time on an attempt that's probably going to fail. You've got a lot of wiggle room, but you're gonna want to save most of it for your personal trouble spots rather than eating a minute or two returning to where you were from a checkpoint. 

Good luck out there.

Edited by IllustroCado
  • Like 1

On 15/10/2018 at 5:50 PM, loxagonx said:

Whats with time when I use Speed Gear with "Normal Speed-Pack"? Is Time then like in Game? When yes, this would MUCH help!

The time never slows down or stops, not even during loading screens, so only use the Speed Gear when completely necessary.

I spliced together the video of my run, it may give some ideas on how to approach each stage.

My final time was a little over 47 minutes, even while not being too efficient. Also, I never bought or used any item.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/4/2018 at 0:17 AM, IllustroCado said:

I know your comment is an old one and you've long since gotten the trophy, but I've seen advice in some forums against saving too much when going for this trophy, and I want to recommend to anyone else going for this trophy in the future to save between every stage. I just finished my speed run today and got the platinum, and I found it extremely helpful to be able to reload each stage in order to try to get an optimal run (well, optimal for a casual player like me). It's just a couple of button presses between levels and shouldn't add more than a few seconds. It's likely you can maintain a faster overall run by being able to reload each stage, because replaying for a better run on each individual stage should more than make up for the time it takes to save the game rather than forcing yourself to continue on if you died, messed up a major shortcut, etc. I also used multiple save files in case I wanted to go back a few stages to retry (though I never ended up resorting to this). It also let me check up on my pace after each stage to see how much wiggle room I had left in the upcoming stages. The times on my save files ended up being:

Tundra Man: 05:05

Torch Man: 09:22 (+04:17)

Blast Man: 13:10 (+03:48)

Block Man: 18:29 (+05:19)

Acid Man: 22:49 (+04:20)

Impact Man: 27:48 (+04:59)

Bounce Man: 33:23 (+05:35)

Fuse Man: 37:24 (+04:01)

Gear Fortress 1: 41:07 (+03:43)

Gear Fortress 2: 45:19 (+04:12)

Boss Rush: 51:23 (+06:04)

Wily Machine/End: 53:56 (+02:33)

I didn't use the shop, but as you can see with over 6 minutes left I would have had time to. If I knew it would have worked out this way, I would have probably grabbed some of the gear system upgrades. My advice is to watch several replays of each level from the challenge leaderboards and YouTube, and then figure out which of those speed run strategies you can realistically pull off with the weapons you'll have in that stage. Practice on the time trials, using only the weapons you'll have on hand for your real attempt at that level. Know your strengths and weaknesses so you can plan accordingly. For example, some of the robot masters still give me trouble, so I knew I would need extra time for the boss rush level.

Also make sure you get the muscle memory down for some of the very quick movements, like using the R stick to change weapons without using the menu (this one probably goes without saying), quickly turning on the power gear to fire off a tundra screen wipe then shut off the gear again, and being able to jump up, summon, and land on the Rush Jet in a single smooth movement. 

Dr. Light's Trial gave me a lot of practice with the Gear Fortress bosses, and I think being able to take out the Yellow Devil in one "cycle" with 5 hits from the power gear blast weapon is crucial to keeping your time low in that stage.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

This along with Dr Light's Trial is a platinum breaker.

Not an easy trophy. I recommend you practice all of the levels in the challenges beforehand so you are more easily prepared for the speedrun. I'm not a fan of tight speedruns, I choke up way too easily, not that I was going to score in the top 30 in any particular level because I simply am not skilled enough.

49 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This along with Dr Light's Trial is a platinum breaker.

Not an easy trophy. I recommend you practice all of the levels in the challenges beforehand so you are more easily prepared for the speedrun. I'm not a fan of tight speedruns, I choke up way too easily, not that I was going to score in the top 30 in any particular level because I simply am not skilled enough.

You can save scum if you really want, main challenge is Dr Light's trial.

• 5 months later...