Retail and PSN version save compatibility

Letenko

Hello all,

I have a question reagrding the save file compatibility. I just bought the PSN version of the game (the Online pass is almost the same price + I can use it on multiple consoles). While I know, that the unlimited ammo glitch won't work on my PSN version, it works on retail. I am getting the retail version in 2 weeks, but meanwhile I wanted to start boosting everything except for the Warthog vehicle. So, if I buy the physical version, unlock Warthog on it, will the vehicle be also unlocked for my PSN version? If not, could I do everything on my PSN version, save the stats to the server and then do the Warthog kills and such on the retail version, save the stats and get the trophy?

I just want to be sure, before I even start my PSN version, thank you.

I just tested this for you. While my alt account didn't have any unique vehicles unlocked yet, I could still look at the multiplayer stats and see if they were the same across both versions. Fortunately, they were already linked together and nothing looked off. It's already possible to sync Warthog from a physical save to a digital save, so I think what you're trying to do will work perfectly fine.

Edit: my alt account has never connected with the physical version before

Edited by Empovyle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Empovyle said:

I just tested this for you. While my alt account didn't have any unique vehicles unlocked yet, I could still look at the multiplayer stats and see if they were the same across both versions. Fortunately, they were already linked together and nothing looked off. It's already possible to sync Warthog from a physical save to a digital save, so I think what you're trying to do will work perfectly fine.

Edit: my alt account has never connected with the physical version before

My friend told me that he had 6 kills with the Swarmer missile on the digital version before starting to grind the game on the physical version, then when he went and got the trophy on the physical version, he had to get 106 kills for the trophy for getting 100 kills with every missile. The server does display every stat your PSN account gets, but you need to accumulate all the kills on the same save file to get the trophies to unlock, so if the digital version has a different save file then that means none of the progress that someone does on digital will count towards their trophy progress if they get the physical version and want to grind on it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sergen said:

My friend told me that he had 6 kills with the Swarmer missile on the digital version before starting to grind the game on the physical version, then when he went and got the trophy on the physical version, he had to get 106 kills for the trophy for getting 100 kills with every missile. The server does display every stat your PSN account gets, but you need to accumulate all the kills on the same save file to get the trophies to unlock, so if the digital version has a different save file then that means none of the progress that someone does on digital will count towards their trophy progress if they get the physical version and want to grind on it. 

Well, according to this, I suppose if OP wants to just transfer Warthog and go back to the digital version, everything will be ok for them. But this answers for anyone who wants to switch copies midway through for some reason. When I tested it, I was mostly concerned with the idea that the new physical save might reset the multiplayer stats back to zero, but that seems to not be the case, especially if it's all tied to the save file anyways.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Empovyle said:

Well, according to this, I suppose if OP wants to just transfer Warthog and go back to the digital version, everything will be ok for them. But this answers for anyone who wants to switch copies midway through for some reason. When I tested it, I was mostly concerned with the idea that the new physical save might reset the multiplayer stats back to zero, but that seems to not be the case, especially if it's all tied to the save file anyways.

Alright, just so I am 100% sure. I can play the digital version, do everything I need. Get the Warthog on retail, using the ammo glitch and then use the Warthog on the digital version where I'll just continue my progress? 

BTW thank you very much for testing this for me, you are a lifesaver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Letenko22 said:

Alright, just so I am 100% sure. I can play the digital version, do everything I need. Get the Warthog on retail, using the ammo glitch and then use the Warthog on the digital version where I'll just continue my progress? 

BTW thank you very much for testing this for me, you are a lifesaver.

Yes, theoretically it should work. Best of luck in grinding out the MP. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bumperklever said:

Does this also work the other way around, so for story progress digital to physical? 

Because then I can already do some stuff singleplayer when nobody is available to boost... Probably will get physical friday or so

Progress as a whole WON'T carry over. A friend of mine with both versions just tried that. You'll have 2 different save files on your system.

Edited by Letenko22
  • Like 1

I've already started the story on twisted on the PSN version but can't get past the third juggernaut mini-boss. I've ordered a used copy of the retail version in the hope that I would be able to continue where I left off on the digital version but from what you are saying it seems I'll have to start from scratch again. Is that so? 

I have another question. If there two separate save files then how does warthog transfer over? Will I have to buy an online pass for the retail version too? I'm asking this question as the PSN version gives you access to the multiplayer portion without an online pass. 

4 minutes ago, giatros-m said:

I've already started the story on twisted on the PSN version but can't get past the third juggernaut mini-boss. I've ordered a used copy of the retail version in the hope that I would be able to continue where I left off on the digital version but from what you are saying it seems I'll have to start from scratch again. Is that so? 

I have another question. If there two separate save files then how does warthog transfer over? Will I have to buy an online pass for the retail version too? I'm asking this question as the PSN version gives you access to the multiplayer portion without an online pass. 

Keep in mind, I do not have both version, I'm going from what my friend tested:
1. Yes, both version have seperate save files, think of them as two seperate games.

2. I don't think it transfers over at all, what the poster most likely meant is that you can do everything on digital and leave Warthog to physical, but going from the 1st reply to this thread, that won't work, as you need to do EVERYTHING on 1 save file... however, you COULD try to do everything on the digital version, except for the vehicle kills and do those on your physical version. Since the trophy list is the same, you'll just use your physical version to unlock the trophy for kills with all vehicles. As far as I know nobody has tested this, so this is all speculation based on what we know.

3. Unofrtunately Sony strikes yet again! Having the digital version downloaded DOESN'T COUNT as having the online pass! Since it lets you download 1 package from the PS Store (that is the game and pass in one) and not the game and pass separately. My friend tested this just a few hours ago...I was pissed, to say the least.

• Like 1

I've also been doing this, I have been playing multiplayer on my digital copy on my main console and disc on my second console, it is 2 different saves as you guys say and I don't have online pass for disc copy. Once i done the story stuff i changed to my 1st console and it shows up in your vehicles but not in story unlocks. Hope this helps

• Like 1

I started on the Digital version and changed to Disk one once I found out the glitch only worked on the Disk version. The stats are still there, but since the game saves after every match, its possible that mp progress is saved both in the server and local, I'll let you know what happens when I'm finished. Also, if you wait for 2 weeks to get the game, the servers will be closed. Date just changed to 15.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fenris-lima said:

I started on the Digital version and changed to Disk one once I found out the glitch only worked on the Disk version. The stats are still there, but since the game saves after every match, its possible that mp progress is saved both in the server and local, I'll let you know what happens when I'm finished. Also, if you wait for 2 weeks to get the game, the servers will be closed. Date just changed to 15.

Hey Fenris, please let us know what you find out. I made a rush order, I'm getting the retail version of friday, already have 2 console setup and a boosting partner, I just hope we can all finish it in time.

The stats must be done on ONE save file. You can’t switch between 2 and expect the trophy to pop at the correct time. It does tally both of them on the stats page but it won’t pop the trophy unless you do all of it on one save file. I suggest if you’ve already done progress on digital and are switching to physical that you take a note of your current stats and use it as starting numbers. That way if you’ve done say 5 DM wins now, the number will need to be 15 when you do it physically. Same with every other stat. Don’t ever randomly switch between the two versions because you will mess yourself up.

• Like 2

I can confirm that if you unlock warthog on the disc version the unlock data does not transfer over to the digital version. I didn't want to take a chance of boosting this game only to find out that I was doing it wrong.

I checked the digital version and warthog was locked. The only requirements were to have all gold medals in twisted difficulty. It didn't require any certain player level or tokens that would unlock it.

I bit the bullet and bought the online pass for the disc version. It immediately unlocks warthog if you have received gold on your twisted playthrough.

So if you want to get the 50 kills with warthog then you will need to buy the online pass for the disc.

Unless you think you're good enough to do twisted difficulty legit ?

Edited by Testosterone
  • Like 1

I played the digital version and unlocked everything online but did not do 50 kills with all cars. Then I switched over to the disc version and went online after unlocking the warthog. Now on both games my stats are totally corrupted. I can see all standard vehicles and the warthog but non of those unlocked during my online progress like the Juggernaut (I still need 50 kills with this guy). I can't unlock them because the game shows me that I am at rank 30 and all vehicles are already unlocked in the rewards section. Deleting everything and starting all over did not help -.- I'm fucking furious.... it was the last online trophy for me and there is no way to get it with my account -.-

Man this is fucked up. I can't believe that. Now I have fucking Warthog from the start but cannot unlock anything else -.-

Any ideas ? I'm pretty desperate right now :(

EDIT: Correction. I can choose every single vehicle with the exception of the Juggernaut. Probably because I had not a single kill with him?

EDIT2: Got it! Sorry for the confusion! I actually could select the Juggernaut in NUKE mode and was able to get the last trophy :)

Edited by derdimi

23 minutes ago, derdimi said:

I played the digital version and unlocked everything online but did not do 50 kills with all cars. Then I switched over to the disc version and went online after unlocking the warthog. Now on both games my stats are totally corrupted. I can see all standard vehicles and the warthog but non of those unlocked during my online progress like the Juggernaut (I still need 50 kills with this guy). I can't unlock them because the game shows me that I am at level 30 and all vehicles are already unlocked in the rewards section. Deleting everything and starting all over did not help -.- I'm fucking furious.... it was the last online trophy for me and there is no way to get it with my account -.-

Man this is fucked up. I can't believe that. Now I have fucking Warthog from the start but cannot unlock anything else -.-

Any ideas ? I'm pretty desperate right now :(

Try playing another full game on the digital copy first. After that try one on the physical. Make sure you wait until it says stats posted. 

Edited by Empovyle

16 hours ago, Empovyle said:

Try playing another full game on the digital copy first. After that try one on the physical. Make sure you wait until it says stats posted. 

Thanks, unfortunately that didn't work BUT I realized that I could select the Juggernaut in NUKE mode so I had to do 50 kills with the Juggernaut in Nuke and actually again 50 kills with each of the other cars in Deathmatch (the trophy progress is not downloaded along with the online progress as we all know). And *ding* last online trophy is mine! I'm so happy. Good luck to everyone who is still working on this difficult plat ?

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 11:32 PM, Bronxiecg said:

I've also been doing this, I have been playing multiplayer on my digital copy on my main console and disc on my second console, it is 2 different saves as you guys say and I don't have online pass for disc copy. Once i done the story stuff i changed to my 1st console and it shows up in your vehicles but not in story unlocks. Hope this helps

Did you go through any process of transferring Warthog? I have unlocked Warthog on my physical copy (I do not have the online pass) and want to transfer him to my digital copy. Will he show up automatically? Apparently someone’s solution was to play a few online games to get the stats to sync but I don’t have the online pass ?

2 hours ago, olivetheturtle said:

Did you go through any process of transferring Warthog? I have unlocked Warthog on my physical copy (I do not have the online pass) and want to transfer him to my digital copy. Will he show up automatically? Apparently someone’s solution was to play a few online games to get the stats to sync but I don’t have the online pass 1f616.png

After I went online with the physical copy it showed up automatically in the digital version. But as I said, it also messed up the vehicle selection. I would make sure to have all vehicle kills first before transferring Warthog.

2 minutes ago, derdimi said:

After I went online with the physical copy it showed up automatically in the digital version. But as I said, it also messed up the vehicle selection. I would make sure to have all vehicle kills first before transferring Warthog.

Gotcha, thanks. Do you have the online pass for the physical version? It doesn’t seem like I’m able to even access online without purchasing it. I really hope I don’t need to do that just for Warthog! 

Oh my bad. I overlooked that you don't have the online pass. Actually I am not sure how it exactly transfers now that you ask. My original intention was to make all kills again with the physical version because I didn't know that Warthog would magically transfer (which is a glitch btw). So I bought the online pass (if you add the retail disc I paid 28$ just for this single trophy + plat ?) and went online. I was surprised to see all rewards unlocked but not being able to select all vehicles in Deathmatch. I am pretty sure that I didn't play a single match with the physical version before I switched over to my digital copy being even more surprised to see the same selection bug BUT also being able to select Warthog. So if you unlocked Warthog already but you are not able to see it in the digital version, I guess the "transfer" is initiated by going online with the physical copy. So I am afraid you probably have to shove some more money down Sony's throat.

Edited by derdimi
  • Like 1

I gave in and paid the $10 to transfer. On my disc version with the fancy new online pass, I joined one lobby and the host quit 5 seconds after the game started. My stats still posted, though. I switched over to digital and when I first click my rewards, they are all unlocked and then instantly lock within a second. I was discouraged but figured I would at least test it. I HAVE WARTHOG! Even though all my rewards are “locked”. I’m thinking this is more of a glitch than an official feature, thanks to everyone for the help and hopefully my unfortune journey can help someone else out. Hoping to play dumb and get a refund on the online pass since I literally used it for less than a minute and it doesn’t say anything about the server closure in the description. 

Edited by olivetheturtle
  • Like 1

Hi All

I can confirm that the warthog vehicle is transferable to the digital version once unlocked with the disc one and the trophy 'Any car will do' can therefore be obtained this way on the digital version. However it does require you to go online with the disc version which requires the online pass. Then you need to play at least one match (did so with warthog) and refresh stats page. I tried not to score any kills/wins to avoid messing up my stats but then accidentally loaded disc again and did kills though at least I could remember how many I did. I had already done most of the kills and wins on the digital version and so when I loaded up my digital copy warthog was available to play with in games but not unlocked under story rewards, which doesn't really matter as all that is needed is 50 kills with this car (and all other cars except Axel). The trophy unlocked when I did the kills I was missing on the digital version.

Edited by giatros-m
specify which trophy
  • Like 2