How do you unlock Rank 4 & 5 weapons in the Infirmary?

Undead Wolf

So the last obstacle in the way of me getting the platinum in this game is getting all of the Infantry Weapons. I've acquired all of the weapons via R&D and defeating the Aces; all I need is three Rank 4 weapons. I'm at the point now where I'm only receiving Rank 5 weapons from mission rewards, so I can't grind for them that way. Everyone says this isn't a missable trophy because you can just purchase the leftover ones you need in the Infirmary post-game, except I only have Rank 1, 2, and 3 weapons available in there. Nobody seems to have a definitive answer on how you unlock Rank 4 & 5 weapons in the Infirmary. Any help would be appreciated because I'm of ideas at this point.

• Like 1

You're receiving Rank 5 weapons as mission rewards from Chapter 13 and 14 missions?

The leading theory among the Japanese strategy wikis are that you have to receive a certain number of weapons of a certain rank as mission rewards before that rank becomes available in the Infirmary and that the ranks only become available in order.

16 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

You're receiving Rank 5 weapons as mission rewards from Chapter 13 and 14 missions?

The leading theory among the Japanese strategy wikis are that you have to receive a certain number of weapons of a certain rank as mission rewards before that rank becomes available in the Infirmary and that the ranks only become available in order.

Yes, I'm receiving Rank 5 weapons no matter which mission I complete, even the earlier ones. According to this post, the rank of the weapon you receive is based on the R&D tier you've acquired, and in my experience, that appears to be correct.

I read that too, but it doesn't seem to be the case, at least in the version of the game I'm playing. I've double-checked the weapons list and I'm only missing three in total, so I have to imagine it would unlock before then if it was tied to the number of weapons you have.

That sucks, man. It sounds like you're in just the kind of situation that the Infirmary was meant to prevent.

Looking around in Japanese, there are a whole bunch of theories about how the weapons in the Infirmary are unlocked. One guy said that the Rank 5 weapons didn't appear in the Infirmary for him even though he had collected all of them and another said that all of the ranks appeared for him in the Infirmary even though he had only received Rank 1 weapons prior to finishing the game. That made them think that the Infirmary unlocks were related to the total number of reward weapons received.

ETA: I reran a few missions to test what you'd said and received no reward weapons at all, despite getting S ranks. That you're still getting rewards suggests to me that there might be something to the "total weapons received" thing.

Edited by cckerberos
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cckerberos said:

That sucks, man. It sounds like you're in just the kind of situation that the Infirmary was meant to prevent.

Looking around in Japanese, there are a whole bunch of theories about how the weapons in the Infirmary are unlocked. One guy said that the Rank 5 weapons didn't appear in the Infirmary for him even though he had collected all of them and another said that all of the ranks appeared for him in the Infirmary even though he had only received Rank 1 weapons prior to finishing the game. That made them think that the Infirmary unlocks were related to the total number of reward weapons received.

ETA: I reran a few missions to test what you'd said and received no reward weapons at all, despite getting S ranks. That you're still getting rewards suggests to me that there might be something to the "total weapons received" thing.

Yeah, I really wasn't expecting to have this much trouble in a game that supposedly has no missable trophies. It's a shame there's no official strategy guide or something like that which sheds light on how certain things work, because all we have is a whole lot of speculation right now.

Well, thanks for looking around. I would rather not have to replay the entire game from scratch, but I don't know what else to try at this point. -_-

If I were in your shoes, I think I'd keep playing missions until I completely stopped receiving reward weapons to see if the "total reward weapons received" is actually the trigger. If that didn't work, I'd probably let the game sit and hope someone figured something out. It's a good game, but I don't think I'd want to completely do it two times in a row.

Thanks for making this topic. I almost missed out on a Rank 4 reward weapon, but thankfully I was aware because of you (still missed a Rank 2 but I should be able to get that later). I haven't finished the game yet but I'm up to Rank 5 and just want to say that my experience is the same as yours. After reaching a certain rank, missions won't give you a lower rank weapon. I'm with @cckerberos on this, I think you have to keep doing missions and meet all the different conditions to get more weapons. You might be missing 3 "types" of weapons but you don't have enough number of weapons in total (that includes duplicate drops). Or think of it this way, higher rank weapons unlock in the Infirmary by the total number of conditions met in missions.

As a side note, (maybe it's obvious but) I believe your R&D tier doesn't go up until you actually buy the upgrade itself even if it is unlocked. I already had tier 10 upgrade unlocked for Rank 5 weapons but I replayed some older missions to get the missing Rank 4 I needed. After that all I did was buy the upgrade and did another older mission and got a Rank 5. No progress in the game whatsoever other than buying the upgrade. This also leads me to the conclusion that, that one guy who only received Rank 1 weapons throughout the game probably never bought upgrades past tier 3, but the total number of weapons/conditions met came into play to unlock everything in the Infirmary.

I should be able to test this once I finish the game (though that may be a while). Hopefully I'll be missing Rank 4s in the Infirmary too so it's more accurate.

18 hours ago, DizzyDavidson said:

Thanks for making this topic. I almost missed out on a Rank 4 reward weapon, but thankfully I was aware because of you (still missed a Rank 2 but I should be able to get that later). I haven't finished the game yet but I'm up to Rank 5 and just want to say that my experience is the same as yours. After reaching a certain rank, missions won't give you a lower rank weapon. I'm with @cckerberos on this, I think you have to keep doing missions and meet all the different conditions to get more weapons. You might be missing 3 "types" of weapons but you don't have enough number of weapons in total (that includes duplicate drops). Or think of it this way, higher rank weapons unlock in the Infirmary by the total number of conditions met in missions.

As a side note, (maybe it's obvious but) I believe your R&D tier doesn't go up until you actually buy the upgrade itself even if it is unlocked. I already had tier 10 upgrade unlocked for Rank 5 weapons but I replayed some older missions to get the missing Rank 4 I needed. After that all I did was buy the upgrade and did another older mission and got a Rank 5. No progress in the game whatsoever other than buying the upgrade. This also leads me to the conclusion that, that one guy who only received Rank 1 weapons throughout the game probably never bought upgrades past tier 3, but the total number of weapons/conditions met came into play to unlock everything in the Infirmary.

I should be able to test this once I finish the game (though that may be a while). Hopefully I'll be missing Rank 4s in the Infirmary too so it's more accurate.

I'm glad I was able to keep someone from getting in the same situation I'm in at least.

The one thing that makes me sceptical of total number of weapons being the cause is that I bought a ton of Rank 1, 2, & 3 weapons to see if that would unlock Rank 4 & 5 in the Infirmary (I used up all my points), but it didn't help, unless of course it's only the Rank 4 & 5 weapons that count towards this hypothetical requirement. Next time I play the game, I'll replay a bunch of missions to get their rewards and see if it helps.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's based off what R&D tiers you've purchased, not the ones that are available.

I don't think the ones you buy at the Infirmary count (for other than having the whole collection), only the ones gotten from missions. Unfortunately buying some will throw off the count.

Finally finished the story today (with 46 weapons) and had Rank 4s already unlocked for me in the Infirmary. I guess I have done too much first run. :D

Replayed some missions after that and got 4 more weapons but no Rank 5 yet (tho that dude said he didn't have it either with 51). I'll try to get more as I still have a bunch of stuff to do post game.

Maybe someone can chime in with their numbers and ranks so we can compare.

Anyways, best of luck. Those early missions should be easy to meet all conditions. You're probably not far off.

I just 100% the game about an hour ago. Up until the last challenge skirmish I didn't have rank 5 weapons available in the infirmary. Everything was maxed though (characters, weapon/armor upgrades, tank and ship, etc.) and everyone was max level. I only needed the rank 5 sniper and machine gun. I went back and replayed 15a. First time I did it I just killed the Vulcan with no deaths or downs. This time around I beat the Vulcan, but also destroyed all tanks and enemy command units. At the results screen I got the 2 guns I needed(what luck) and rank 5 weapons unlocked for purchase in the infirmary. Apparently beating story mission levels with certain criteria is key. Use the trophy guide on here to see which levels can drop you what and just beat it difference than you did last time, i,e. A-rank, kill all tanks, kill all command units, no deaths, and so forth. Good luck!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, undefinedmike said:

I just 100% the game about an hour ago. Up until the last challenge skirmish I didn't have rank 5 weapons available in the infirmary. Everything was maxed though (characters, weapon/armor upgrades, tank and ship, etc.) and everyone was max level. I only needed the rank 5 sniper and machine gun. I went back and replayed 15a. First time I did it I just killed the Vulcan with no deaths or downs. This time around I beat the Vulcan, but also destroyed all tanks and enemy command units. At the results screen I got the 2 guns I needed(what luck) and rank 5 weapons unlocked for purchase in the infirmary. Apparently beating story mission levels with certain criteria is key. Use the trophy guide on here to see which levels can drop you what and just beat it difference than you did last time, i,e. A-rank, kill all tanks, kill all command units, no deaths, and so forth. Good luck!

Thank you for posting this. It seems like we might finally have a confirmed solution.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cckerberos said:

@undefinedmike How many reward weapons do you have total?

Honestly, a lot. I purchased about 8-10 from the infirmary, all rank 2 or rank 4 weapons. After counting, I have only 6 scout/engineer rifles, 20 machine guns, 14 lances, 13 snipers, 9 mortars. By post game I had all the scout and mortar weapons. I was missing 2 lances(rank 2 and 4, but those these seem to be the same as rank 1 and 3 lances), 3 snipers(rank 1, 3, 5) and 2 machine guns (rank 2 and 5). Seems like what you get at the end of missions is random, but completing other objectives like I did nets you more weapons too. I played the entire game aggressively, only ever got B rank twice, people died once in a while but enemies never completed killed them off. I'm pretty sure most maps I didn't kill all command units or tanks just because getting A rank doesn't really allow that sort of play. 

Edited by undefinedmike

I just unlocked Rank 5 in the Infirmary with 52 weapons (replayed Ch. 7-2 battle to get the final).

That's pretty much on par with @undefinedmike's 62 with 8-10 bought (those don't count).

So I'm assuming you unlock a rank every 13 weapons (1/5 of the total 65) you get from battles with Rank 1 available from start.

Wonder if there's any prize for getting all 65. ? 

But I'm not gonna go there. ?

32 minutes ago, DizzyDavidson said:

I just unlocked Rank 5 in the Infirmary with 52 weapons (replayed Ch. 7-2 battle to get the final).

That's pretty much on par with @undefinedmike's 62 with 8-10 bought (those don't count).

So I'm assuming you unlock a rank every 13 weapons (1/5 of the total 65) you get from battles with Rank 1 available from start.

Wonder if there's any prize for getting all 65. 1f914.png 

But I'm not gonna go there. 1f61d.png

That's consistent with my game, I believe. I had a minimum of 59 weapons when I finished the story and Rank 5 was unlocked from the start.

And there we go, I got the platinum. It turns out I was one mission reward away from unlocking Rank 4 weapons in the Infirmary; I just went back to one of the previous missions and killed all of the Leaders. I didn't even need to unlock Rank 5 since I already had all of those weapons. Thanks for the help, guys. Hopefully this thread and my misfortune can help others in the future.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, undefinedmike said:

Thank you for this! Replaying 15-1 and killing all the leaders finally gave me access to the Rank 5 weapon roll in the infirmary. I've been zerg rushing through all the story missions for that sweet A Rank, so there was no chance I would've unlocked it by accident.

Kind of sneaky of Sega to lock the Rank 5 weapon roll behind such a hidden requirement, but oh well.

Edited by TukangJamu
Add quote
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 10/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, undefinedmike said:

I'm missing an ace weapon (Chapter 3 - ZM MP 1(e) ) despite killing the marked ace for that mission. Gonna try this and report back.

Edited by Eraezr