Game Developers Say They're Preparing For PSN Name Changes

Azaan60

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/10/game-developers-say-theyre-preparing-for-psn-name-changes/

As PlayStation users across the world wonder whether they’ll ever get to change their names from (or to) xx_gokusephiroth420_xx, the option now seems closer than ever. Developers of multiplayer games tell Kotaku that they’re preparing for PlayStation Network name changes to finally come soon.

Three people at three different game studios, speaking anonymously because they were not authorised to talk to press, said that in recent months they’ve been fixing bugs, tweaking settings, and ensuring that their games are compatible with Sony’s plans.

A fourth person who worked for a game studio shared a photo, obtained from internal Sony documentation, of a PSN profile containing the option “edit username”. The documentation was a guide for changing one’s name on the PlayStation Network, that person said.

We don’t yet have any sort of timeframe for the feature, and those developers have suggested that as a result of how PSN IDs were originally implemented (linking your account ID to your username rather than some sort of universally unique identifier), retroactively fixing old multiplayer games might be a time-consuming and difficult prospect. Sony did not respond to a request for comment.

Since the PlayStation Network first launched in 2006, one of its strangest limitations has been the inability to edit one’s username, leaving millions of players stuck with the handles they chose 12 years ago. That includes names they might consider embarrassing or no longer relevant to their identity.

Sony’s biggest competitor, Xbox Live, allows users to change their names at will (the first is free if it’s the one you signed up with; subsequent changes cost around $11).

At the PlayStation Experience conference in December of 2017, Sony boss Shawn Layden told Kinda Funny’s Greg Miller in response to a question about PSN name changes that he hopes “you won’t have to ask me that question next PSX”. The comment suggested that Sony would implement the much-requested feature by December 2018, two months from now.

Except Sony said last week that there won’t be a PSX in 2018, which makes for a pretty good loophole.

Keep in mind this article comes from Jason Schrier. This guy has accurately leaked many things in the past, and is one of the most reliable people in the industry.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/10/game-developers-say-theyre-preparing-for-psn-name-changes/

Keep in mind this article comes from Jason Schrier. This guy has accurately leaked many things in the past, and is one of the most reliable people in the industry.

Probably on PS5 at this point. 

• Like 3

When Shawn Layden said you wont have to ask me this by next PSX does not mean it will be ready for (or around) next PSX it just said you wont need to ask me by next PSX which could (and probably does) mean that by the time the next PSX would have occurred (December 2018) the news will have been broken for PSN changes, hence not needing to ask him about it.

Furthermore, to the above points is that...

A. Just because 6.0 exists does not mean we as gamers will get the new features soon, I believe it exists as a framework for developers.

B. Just because we wont need to ask about PSN name changes by next PSX does not mean we will get them by next PSX, this feature could still be 2 years off.

It might come in 1 month (very unlikely) 3 months (unlikely) 6 months (faintly possible) or 1-2 years (most likely).

It is coming, it is just taking a long time to get here, This is Play stations equivalent of Brexit ;) 

Edited by CyberJapanGamer

17 minutes ago, Plataholic said:

Unless they free up old usernames that haven't been used in awhile it's going to be pretty pointless imo, Most usernames are taken now.

Makes sense for them to do that, Microsoft did it as well. I would try to get a cool short name then but only if they don't charge money for the first name change. 

Hopefully that one rumor about forfeiting trophies and PS3 and Vita games ends up being false otherwise there would be no point on changing your PSN ID over just making a new account.
Not sure why Sony is having difficulties with this when microsoft has had the feature since xbox 360.
And if Sony does allow PSN name changes I'll probably wind up buying the premium member ship thing on this website too.
Well as long as that rumor ends up being false anyway.
Think the name I was going to change it to had 1 too many characters in it anyway since I think limit is still 16 not sure on that.

10 minutes ago, Nightstream88 said:

Not sure why Sony is having difficulties with this when microsoft has had the feature since xbox 360.

It's because the PSN was built in a completely different way. From what I understand, Xbox Live and Steam accounts are represented as a unique code within the system, whereas PSN accounts are directly tied to the username, so changing that would be like creating an entirely new account. I guess they might have finally figured away around that, but like you said, hopefully it's not at the cost of PS3 and Vita trophies.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I'm probably the only person completely happy with my name and will never change it. Taking time before you create your account to come up with something that you love was well worth it.

Me too, thanks. 

It'd be nice for those that didn't really put thought into their PSN IDs or just simply want something different. 

Considering PSN was my very first online community and the fact that I was pretty young back then, thus leading to my rather dull name, I will definitely make good use of that feature when it appears ;) 

I guess that empty 6.00 update wasn't that empty after all :awesome: 

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

I'm probably the only person completely happy with my name and will never change it.

I'm probably the only person completely happy with my name and avatar on both psn and this site and will never change them permanently...

two peas in a pod, aye?...shall we go on a date, talk about life, and see what else we have in common?...here's an ice breaker : when on a long flight and are at that inevitable meal decision, which describes you best? :

1 - beef... 

2 - chicken... 

3 - vegetarian...

4 - more alcohol...

5 - starve...

wait, you're not a premium member?..nevermind...haha...

Edited by ProfBambam55

4 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I'm probably the only person completely happy with my name and avatar on both psn and this site and will never change them permanently...

two peas in a pod, aye?...shall we go on a date, talk about life, and see what else we have in common?...here's an ice breaker : when on a long flight and are at that inevitable meal decision, which describes you best? :

1 - beef... 

2 - chicken... 

3 - vegetarian...

4 - more alcohol...

5 - starve...

wait, you're not a premium member?..nevermind...haha...

That joke probably went on a little too long. A- for effort, but a C+ for execution.

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

That joke probably went on a little too long. A- for effort, but a C+ for execution.

I guess you must've missed the point if you thought the length was irrelevant...oh well...i'll take the c+...this post is also 6 sentences so another fail...i'll try to be more ADD friendly next time...

When game developers need to actively prepare their (online?) services for this name change, that makes me a little worried about games for which this is not possible anymore.

Maybe we have even found the reason why Sony has been silently killing the game servers of a lot of their older games recently :-D

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

I like my PSN name, but do remember the pain of wanting to change a crappy name, as I had an old account which had a stupid name and ended up creating this account. That old account also had 2 FF plats (13 and 13-2) and Tales of vesperia and graces f which took ages, but I ended up getting them again on this account quicker and easier since I knew how to go about it. It just took forever though! I remember wishing for psn name change. I like this PSN name, but it would be a good option to be able to change for those that picked theirs in haste 

God I hope so... I created my account when I was like 14 years old... I was a giant One Piece Fan back then so I called myself my name with "OP" (for One Piece) at then end

I did not even know the term "overpowered" then and now, 6/nearly 7 years later people in online games are like "YoU tHiNk YoU aRe OvErPoWeReD???" 

Edited by MoniqueOP