EA gets rid of Online Passes

Lady Lilith

On one hand it's good that this is going away. Now bring back expansion packs that's 10-15+ hours instead of 1-4 hour DLCs that's end up completely unforgettable. 

On the other hand if used games are block totally by Next Xbox or the optional used games block on the PS4 than yeah EA no change that the big companies could cook something worse. 

I'm happy but at the same time I'm on guard. If one extreme was gotten rid of look out for another extreme I'd say.

Don't be too happy yet. While this might look like a good move (and it is), there is almost always a hidden agenda. Half expect more common occurrences of day 1 dlc, microtransactions, half baked games, parts/features of games requiring an 'unlock', higher proportion of dlc etc. Look at the direction Metro Last Light took, that requires $5 to unlock a difficulty mode (not an EA game, but something EA would probably be tempted to do). The reason they are discontinuing online passes is most likely because it did not have the desired impact on new game sales, or OP sales. The way they said they listened to gamers is a great move and will most definitely earn them some brownie points, but remember they are a business and will always be out to get more $$ from the end user.

FYI in the case of the PS4, top execs also haven't ruled out the inability to play used games on different systems. What does this mean? Online passes will ultimately be redundant, since everyone will be required to buy new games. Have 2 systems at home? you might need 2 copies of the same game. 

Link: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/q-a-sony-computer-entertainment-s-shuhei-yoshida/1100-4584/

I'm not saying everything is a certainty, but just be wary as it is always a possibility. Don't trust EA yet. In fact it is prudent to not trust anyone nor take things at face value.

Agreed, I think online pass removal is a step in the right direction for EA, but in all honesty, i'm pretty sure the gap will be filled with more of the same microtransaction systems and new variations of the theme.

I'm a little surprised by this move however, their servers aren't usually online long enough to justify the purchase of an online pass anyway (being a little facetious here). They will probably shorten the life cycle of the online server availability for each title thereby reducing the long-term maintenance costs of keeping them running. I would assume the online pass was a way to mitigate some of that cost in the first place; it didn't hurt that buying used, or renting, also put a little $ in their pockets when the players wanted to partake in the online play ;)

I suppose this is good news, doesn't effect me as I buy games new, plus EA rarely publish/develop games i'm interested in.

Now if only they could stop forcing microtransactions into every game, looks/feels tacky.

This being EA, I'm not going to trust them. They are a money grabbing company (which is what they are there for to be fair). Look at any of the sports stuff, it's mainly new names and a few extra button presses.

I expect there to be much more of the microtransaction stuff in new games (Dead Space 3 was a trial and probably racked in loads of money) as EA do not care what consumers think, they look at the bottom line in Profits and Losses sheet and make decisions.

EA has not been about customers for years, it's been about making lots of money as 90% of people WILL buy the games no matter what.

If they removed online passes, it is only to use something more profitable.

• Like 1

So if EA turning to the light side? Hmmm.......

I'm going to be the only positive guy here and say this is a good move EA is doing to reduce all the heat they are getting. But I'm not stupid, I know this doesn't mean they are going to take away every greedy policy they have.