Would you recommend VR?

MarkGibbons

I've seen a few "similar" threads asking what games are recommended, but as a potential buyer I'd like to here from hunters if the system is actually recommended overall? 

At $399 AUD it costs more than the entire PS4 console it attaches to, and there is nowhere to experience VR locally so purchasing a $400 system to try it out seems a bit frustrating! 

It's a few years old now. Don't buy it at full price, wait for a good sale. Black Friday is coming up.

I really like VR and think it was money well spent even if I don't play it that often (it's not really something I like to play for just a few minutes, I really want to sit down for a good long session), and by now there are a fair bunch of fun games, but it's not for everyone, thanks to motion sickness and the "grid" in between pixels that you might see. Some can see through it, ignore it and/or think it's not a big deal, some can't.

With no place to try it out, I'd definitely recommend buying it somewhere where you can return it if it ends up being something your sensory input organs disagree with.

I bought mine late last year. 

I love the thing, it's incredible, and it's one of the best pieces of gaming tech I've ever owned.

That being said, I've only bought like 3 games for it, and barely touched it in that year. The thing is great, but I have not used it anywhere near as much as I would have liked to. Things like DriveClub and Doom, sticking your head in there, getting the full display and actually turning your head around as you rip a demon in half or sticking your head out the car's window by leaning over, it's amazing. It's nothing short of of brilliant to me, it's incredible, everything it does, it does so well.

But it's also uncomfortable at times, blurry a lot of the time (leading to you having to pull it off and wipe it, which in turn will lead to being uncomfortable once you lose your spot), and those stupid dildo looking PS Move controllers that Cashies had been trying to throw for 5 bucks for 5 years that are now back up to 60 odd everywhere each are apparently quite necessary for many of the games and I will not be spending MORE money on this stuff and that stops me from playing Superhot VR which is a shame because that looks incredible too but anyway, dildos aside, the thing is quite good if you don't mind the bulkiness and likelihood of accidentally breathing the wrong way, and the warmth from your breath rising from your mouth into the eye piece thing and fogging your screen beyond use.

The main reason I'm commenting though, is to say 400 bucks is bullshit. I paid 330 for mine from Big W last year with the camera, Skyrim (when it was new) and PS VR Worlds. Worlds traded for 10 bucks or so (combined with VBuck promotion for 25), and Skyrim was around 50 odd (so 65) so take 90 off for the games (and 10 for delivery) and it would have been 230 in store after trading the games. 

Since then there hasn't been tooooo many deals around, but there has been a few recently, Amazon AU even had the original kit for I think 200 not too long back, new, but old stock. The whole kit has hit <300 with a game numerous times recently though. I would suggest you check out sites like OzBargain, I stumbled into that site nearly 5 years ago when I went looking to find a cheap 2DS. Saved myself 70 odd bucks and have checked the site every day since. Overall, I've saved hundreds through checking that site first, bought my current phone from a link on there a year back (nearly), found my PS VR on there, got Foxtel installed on a hella cheap deal that was posted on there a few weeks back (20 a month for movies and entertainment, bugger it, cheaper than Netflix and Stan), and so on. Point is, check out OzBargain for a while before marching into EB and buying one, because, ESPECIALLY with the Chrissy sales coming up soon there WILL be deals afoot.

tl;dr VR is really fucking cool, but a bit flawed, check out OzBargain for deals

• Like 1

If you have the money sitting around and you're looking for something absolutely amazing to try... I wholeheartedly recommend it.  One of the coolest things I've ever had the pleasure of trying/owning in my 25 years of gaming.  Seriously.

That being said, I wouldn't miss any meals or bills to pay for it.  If you can get it on sale, even better.  Like Spider-Guy said, there's bound to be some deals with the holidays coming up.  There are maybe a handful of must-play VR games at the moment, and while they're really awesome... I find myself needing to be in just the right mood to want to deal with the setup and the bulkiness of it versus sitting down and playing a game normally.  That mood rarely lines up with my gaming time lately. xD  And I feel a little ill if I use it too long (though I feel a little ill in general lately lol). That's a personal thing though,  I know my brother has gotten pretty addicted to his and uses it almost every night as he plays through Skyrim VR, and he usually gets worse motion sickness than me.  So it's weird.  I really couldn't say how far your interest would take you once you've tried it.

It's damn cool though. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

I would only recommend it if you feel like you're going to play the games. I love my VR, but I never find myself actually motivated to use it since it takes a minute to get hooked up and everything. However, that's probably due to the fact I haven't found any games I absolutely loved on it yet, so maybe once I get more into a game then I'll use it more

I'd say yes, but look for a bundle of some sort that saves you money. I love the VR, but I just don't have the time to play it ATM. There are so many games I want to get for it, but I no time to play. I still need to pick up Eagle's Flight, Creed, Astro Bot, Thumper, Moss, and Until Dawn. The games are there, don't let anyone fool you.

Superhot VR is probably the best game I played for it, but Job Simulator and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes are also amazing and must haves. Motion sickness can happen for certain people, but it's different for everyone. The only game that has given me motion sickness was GT Sport. Nothing else even phased me.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

In a word, no.  More of a tech demo than a gaming experience.  One day they will get it right, not there yet.

you clearly don't know what you're talking about at all.  

I would understand if you listed actual reasons as to why you don't recommend it but instead you jump in here with the classic uninformed opinion of it's "more of a tech demo than a gaming experience".  

I played Resident Evil 7 from beginning to end in VR... 3 times.  It was more of a gaming "experience" than anything else I've had in the last 15+ years.  

It blew my fucking mind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Lol you don't even have vr so how would you possibly be able to answer his question? I can't stand it when people comment on something they know nothing about...

Kind of an odd question to ask (I looked to see what VR games you had), but how is Rigs? I have it sitting untouched and was thinking about playing it soon. I don't really care about trophies, but is the game fun? Was the multiplayer active at all?

9 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Kind of an odd question to ask (I looked to see what VR games you had), but how is Rigs? I have it sitting untouched and was thinking about playing it soon. I don't really care about trophies, but is the game fun? Was the multiplayer active at all?

I loved it. It's a good mix of sports and face paced action. When I played the online I ran into players quite often but that's been a year or so ago. I would imagine it's still pretty active though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Lol you don't even have vr so how would you possibly be able to answer his question? I can't stand it when people comment on something they know nothing about...

I don’t own it but have played it enough to have an opinion.  Obviously...

So I see the VR fanboys are out.  No one can have a differing opinion.  Reminds me of the nerd wars between XBox and Playstation fanboys.

i maintain the technology can be neat but as a gaming experience, it simply is not there yet.  I know I am not unique in this feeling.

Edited by djb5f

2 minutes ago, CyberJapanGamer said:

In regards to recommending it, that all depends on whether it has the games you want to play. Because if not it will quickly become a very expensive accessory that you wont use.

Exactly.  Well stated!

55 minutes ago, djb5f said:

So I see the VR fanboys are out.  No one can have a differing opinion.  Reminds me of the nerd wars between XBox and Playstation fanboys.

i maintain the technology can be neat but as a gaming experience, it simply is not there yet.  I know I am not unique in this feeling.

I mean, everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but have you played full length titles in VR like Resident Evil 7 or Skyrim VR?  Because granted those are only two games, they're proof positive that VR is/can be more than a tech demo.  Those are not only full gaming experiences, but arguably better experiences than playing them without VR.

EDIT: Even if you don't like them, pretending they don't exist makes you sound kind of ignorant.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, djb5f said:

LOL, fanyboys.  

Do me a favor and define what a "gaming experience is and then tell me how VR isn't one, please.

You're perfectly capable of having an opinion on the matter.  The problem is is you keep saying that VR is not a "gaming experience" and that to me is a lazy, trolling comment that bears no weight.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

LOL, fanyboys.  

Do me a favor and define what a "gaming experience is and then tell me how VR isn't one, please.

You're perfectly capable of having an opinion on the matter.  The problem is is you keep saying that VR is not a "gaming experience" and that to me is a lazy, trolling comment that bears no weight.

His comments are proof that he hasent played anyreal games in vr and I'm actually willing to bet he actually hasent even played psvr period. Res 7, skyrim, farpoint, firewall zero hour, etc are just a few games out of the many that are true vr "games" out of the many more out there.

The depth of quality games are simply not there.  You all trying to list a small smattering of games backs that up.  Not a lot from the “recommend” pile.

Sure, you can find a nice experience here or there but long ways to go or like others have stated here, it quickly goes to being an expensive accessory you won’t use.

25 minutes ago, djb5f said:

The depth of quality games are simply not there.  You all trying to list a small smattering of games backs that up.  Not a lot from the “recommend” pile.

Sure, you can find a nice experience here or there but long ways to go or like others have stated here, it quickly goes to being an expensive accessory you won’t use.

It's fine if you don't see the value in VR, or a worthwhile experience.  I do.

I look at it like this, for around $300 USD, I can find a VR set and get a copy of Resident Evil 7.  

For around the same amount of money I could go skydiving.  I love the outdoors and hope to one day go skydiving.  I'm willing to spend the money to have that experience.  Likewise, I was willing to spend that amount of money to play the most recent game in one of my most favorite franchises (Resident Evil) in VR.

I've already posted how I feel about that experience (it blew my fucking mind), and I would do it again. 

As far as it quickly becoming an accessory you won't use, well, I like that about it.  I'm not ready or willing to give up traditional gaming for VR.  I'm sure no one else is either.  I can play all the games I want to on my PS4 or Switch and when a new VR game comes out that interest me, I can pick it up, play it, and then move on until the next one drops.  

With the "small smattering" of games that I've gotten to play on my PSVR, I've more than gotten my moneys worth, and there are more and more games coming out weekly. 

• Like 1