The official college football thread

skidmarkgn

I did some light research to see if there was a college football thread and didn't find anything so, here we are. 

College ball gives tons to talk about and this year is right on track.  From rankings to upsets to slap on the wrist suspensions and now, Sabin calling out the Alabama fan base for not showing up to non-competitive squashes against lower tier "competition".

I live in Washington state and have no real connection to UW or WSU since I didn't go to college (my ability to draw gave me a pretty sweet career without having to go past high school) so I'm happy when either team does well.  The Huskies have been fun to watch during their rise and the Cougars provide one of the most entertaining coaches I've ever seen.  Unfortunately, it seems the Huskies playoff hopes were dashed when they lost week 1 to Auburn.  That game had some controversy too when the refs swallowed their whistles after Browning was speared in the head on a 3rd down in the 4th quarter.  Even the announcers were openly wondering what the hell was going on stating "that's exactly the kind of hit they're trying to remove from the game", must be nice to be in the SEC I guess.  

There was bad calls both ways in that game and I hate aurburn. But seriously  there is only 2 teams that can win it all this year: Alabama and Ohio state. But as long as Alabama stays healthy especially tua at quarterback then even Ohio state doesn't really stand a chance. I'm not being biased. I watch almost every game on Saturdays and believe me no one in the country can touch Alabama this year. 

From Ohio born and raised!! GO BUCKEYES!!!! 

27 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

There was bad calls both ways in that game and I hate aurburn. But seriously  there is only 2 teams that can win it all this year: Alabama and Ohio state. But as long as Alabama stays healthy especially tua at quarterback then even Ohio state doesn't really stand a chance. I'm not being biased. I watch almost every game on Saturdays and believe me no one in the country can touch Alabama this year. 

You honestly never know. Any team, especially top contending teams, can be knocked off on any given day. Can be due to injuries, a injury that happened at THE WORST TIME (we've seen those happen), or a underdog coming out of nowhere and running the table. That's one of the main reasons why I love sports. 

• Like 1

Just now, kidson2004 said:

From Ohio born and raised!! GO BUCKEYES!!!! 

You honestly never know. Any team, especially top contending teams, can be knocked off on any given day. Can be due to injuries, a injury that happened at THE WORST TIME (we've seen those happen), or a underdog coming out of nowhere and running the table. That's one of the main reasons why I love sports. 

While I can agree for the most part but Alabama under nick Saban only loses to teams with once in a life time players (deshaun Watson, johnny manziel, cam newton, Ezekiel Elliot) and the only team with that type of player this year is Alabama. Tua is by far the best player in the country and Alabama was already great without a quarterback like this and with him they are honestly as close to unbeatable as you can get. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

While I can agree for the most part but Alabama under nick Saban only loses to teams with once in a life time players (deshaun Watson, johnny manziel, cam newton, Ezekiel Elliot) and the only team with that type of player this year is Alabama. Tua is by far the best player in the country and Alabama was already great without a quarterback like this and with him they are honestly as close to unbeatable as you can get. 

That I can give you for the most part. But also (like Ohio State for example) I've seen them lose to teams that they no business losing to. So while they "look" unbeatable (and I'm no hater by any means) they're not immune to being beaten. That goes for any team. 

14 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

That I can give you for the most part. But also (like Ohio State for example) I've seen them lose to teams that they no business losing to. So while they "look" unbeatable (and I'm no hater by any means) they're not immune to being beaten. That goes for any team. 

Ohio almost always loses a game they have no business losing though. Alabama never loses a game to team like Iowa or Syracuse(Clemson). They only lose to elite teams. I'm not saying it's impossible but the chances of that happening are so small it might as well be. The reason for that is why Nick Saban is the greatest college football coach  of all time.

Edited by rolltideroll157

1 hour ago, rolltideroll157 said:

There was bad calls both ways in that game and I hate aurburn. 

100% agree but that no-call stood out, Browning was straight speared in the head by the crown of the defenders helmet... right in front of an official too.

Anyways, I'm right there with you about 'Bama, don't really see anyone taking them down this year, even if they lose one, they'll still make the playoffs and go to the championship.  Also makes me wonder how long it'll take before they expand the playoffs to at least 8.  Easy answer seems like the major conference champions are auto-included and maybe two vote-in teams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

100% agree but that no-call stood out, Browning was straight speared in the head by the crown of the defenders helmet... right in front of an official too.

Anyways, I'm right there with you about 'Bama, don't really see anyone taking them down this year, even if they lose one, they'll still make the playoffs and go to the championship.  Also makes me wonder how long it'll take before they expand the playoffs to at least 8.  Easy answer seems like the major conference champions are auto-included and maybe two vote-in teams.

I agree it was a bad miss call but the refs were atrocious across the board that game. Nobody on Alabama's schedule stands a chance against them. They will probably win each game by at Least 2-3 touchdowns including the lsu game. They won't have a chance to be beat until the sec championship against Georgia but they aren't as good this year so they may destroy them as well. The playoffs is the where the only chance they could be tested really depending on who makes it of course. If it's Notre dame or Clemson then once again Alabama will roll easily against them. Ohio state and Oklahoma are the only teams that could possibly keep up with bama but Oklahoma has a terrible defense so that could turn bad for the sooners fast.

18 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Ohio almost always loses a game they have no business losing though. Alabama never loses a game to team like Iowa or Syracuse(Clemson). They only lose to elite teams. I'm not saying it's impossible but the chances of that happening are so small it might as well be. The reason for that is why Nick Saban is the greatest college football coach  of all time.

Ole Miss was not elite and happened more than once IIRC.

9 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Guess I spoke too soon about the Texas Oklahoma game, didn't expect Texas to blow a 21 point 4th quarter lead, but, here we are all tied up.

Texas had it the whole time, lol.  How do they always lose to lowly Maryland though?

4 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Oh yay, a new college football thread!

Oh boo, it has an obnoxious Bama fan...some things never change. :pimp:

How am I being obnoxious? Tell me what I said is wrong? I'll give you stats all day to back up what I'm saying. Telling the obvious truth isn't being obnoxious. Sorry you're salty that Alabama is better than your team ?

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

Ole Miss was not elite and happened more than once IIRC.

Ole miss had bamas number and had elite players on both side of the ball for those years. They never were able to become an elite team but they had the type of players and ran a spread offense that gives bama problems.

Edited by rolltideroll157

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

As much as I love a good upset, it's not great when Auburn, the team that needs to look like world beaters so the loss by the Huskies doesn't look as bad, is the team being upset.  Hopefully the rest of Washington's schedule will help their case.

I saw the end of the UW game and I feel bad they lost. Their QB did an incredible job of leading them down the field, only to see the kicker blow a chip shot. I'm of the school of thought that you don't call timeouts to ice the kicker, but it sure worked in the Ducks' favor today. 

My favorite Saturday moment was seeing Nebraska shit themselves...again. 

30 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

I saw the end of the UW game and I feel bad they lost.

It's what they do.  It's to the point of being a thing now, UW just can not seem to win the "big ones".  Ever since they lost to Alabama in the playoffs a couple/few years ago they've choked in every important game they've played.

Seems like several top ten teams had a rough go of it today too... and the damn Dodgers won, gross.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, no love for college football, huh? Only 18 posts?

Anyway, my beloved Volunteers are nowhere to be seen when it comes to the postseason, but I really enjoyed the Bammer-UGA game. People gave Smart hell for the fake punt. I didn't love the call, but honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as Smart's decision not to bring the house against Hurts. Georgia was the first team to really shut town Tagovailoa, and just dominated Bammer's offensive line, even late in the 3rd. Smart already should have remembered the burn of going conservative in the title game last year, but he did it again.

Also, it's amazing how much impact a missed field goal has. Georgia was dominating Bammer in the 3rd, but once they failed to score on that deep drive, that was it. Bammer found the way to win.

Oklahoma would have been my pick over Ohio State for the playoff, too, but boy - do they feel like the weak link here. Bammer overtops all, Clemson has the athletes to run with them, but probably not the coaching, Notre Dame has really picked up steam of late, and Oklahoma has one of the worst defenses I've seen in a potential NC team since maybe BYU bac in the 80s.

What has happened to the Pac-12, BTW. They were always pretty much the 2nd best league (next to the SEC), with USC as the main power, but also UCLA, Washington, and later Oregon and Oregon State. Arizona State maintained a presence for many years. Stanford had a great run. Now - they all suck. I really wanted Mike Leach to take Wazzou to the Pac-12 title game, but that snowy Apple Cup kind of ruined that. They're just terrible right now.

The Big 10 has always been overrated, but lately, even I've been overrating them. Ohio State's defense was just dreadful this year, and they were head and shoulders above everyone else in the league. What a disappointing season for Michigan.

The ACC continues to improve, but they need a counter to Clemson. FSU is on its way to a slump (bad coaching hire). I think Richt could make Miami into that team, but they really disappointed this year. Teams like Syracuse and Boston College can't be a consistent presence. Georgia Tech might be a possible foil once Paul Johnson is gone, but it's so hard for them to recruit against UGA.

The Big 12 is now the WAC. Seriously - watching those games makes your head hurt. 

And of course there's the SEC. I actually think the SEC is the worse for Alabama's dominance. Kudos to the Tide (well, not really - I hope they all fall into the abyss), but the other teams just aren't stepping it up. Georgia is certainly good, but they fold in the clutch so often. Auburn is never good when they're expected to be - they always surprise you one way or the other. LSU needs to get rid of Orgeron - that guy's an idiot. Florida should rise again soon; Mullen is a solid coach. A&M also has a good coach, but the West is so competitive right now. teams like Missy State, Ole Mrs., Mizzou are fringe top 25s, and UK will certainly fail again.

And my Vols? Well, we'll see how a former Alabama assistant does this time around. Last time? Let's not even talk about that.

• 1 month later...

Even though the score was maybe a little disproportionate because 'Bama was playing from so far behind they had to go for TD's instead of getting the easy 3's, Clemson still got the stops one more than one occasion and kept the Tide out of it.  Nice seeing Vader take out the Emperor, with a true freshman behind center too.

Well Clemson showed how dominant they can be whilst they have Trevor Lawrence, completely destroying the Dominant Alabama and making Tua look like someone he hasn't been. I do wonder how many teams in the NFl will tank for Lawrence :hmm: 

• Like 1