Sound Shapes Death Mode Tips Sharing Thread.

Soufwar

Hi fellow trophy hunters, 

Since we’re all on a timer bomb for Sound Shapes I figured we might get together and share tips that worked for us or are working for us to get this death mode done, honestly I fucking hate this mode since it’s so hard but i’ve been getting the levels done one by one and I would appreciate any tips or help from the community to solve these levels and get the platinum before October 15th. If you’re like me and are starting new or coming back to this dreaded mode, lets put our heads together and try and get it done :) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Titan said:

I played the game a few years back. Got sick of deathmode and uninstall the game. What's happening on Oct 15th?

Servers shut down, so you can't use the cross-save function anymore.

As for No Death Mode tips; it's mostly just luck. The circle-thingies appear randomly, and bad RNG will end most of your runs. The best advice I can give you is to keep trying and learn how to dodge the obstacles in each individual stage.

• Like 2

That's really disappointing. And I just got my Vita last week as well. Better do the cross save thing quickly.

As for the Death Mode thing, I think I only managed to beat 2 levels on Death Mode. I tried a variety of levels for hours on end and I just could never get it right. I'll give it a go again and see if I manage anything before 15 October. DAMN!

I'm guessing after 15 October, we will have to get the trophies individually on each system?

• Like 1

It's hard. It's unfair. But it's possible. You need luck, but you can work it out. I made it yesterday, and I'm a noop in such kind of games. Try to have a good start, with points close by. Listen to the music, very helpful in some levels. Try to find out the pattern of the points and learn for each level on what to put your focus on because sometimes it helped me not to focus on my figure. Also in most levels you need to speed up so use R1 whenever possible. Keep calm and retry over and over, because the game will usually punish you for every mistake. But there's that saying that from mistakes you learn the most. Most levels took me around 20-30 minutes to complete. Some a few minutes more. 

This is all mainly down to luck. Back in 2015 was the last time I played this and I only managed to get 1 of the Death Modes and I think it was by accident.

This past week, I was determined and I have now managed to get all except 4 of the Death Modes.

On top of it, I played all of the Death Modes with the sound off. So that's my tip for people struggling with Death Mode....Play with the sound off. It helped me a lot.

The last 4 Death Modes I am really struggling with are :-

Event Horizon #1 - I keep getting killed by those X lasers. I just can't seem to get around them. And if I play it safe, then the time runs out.
Event Horizon #2 - This one I can't wrap my head around, don't know if I am too slow or just not doing it right. 38 notes in 20 seconds? Am I missing something? That's nearly 2 notes per second. This seems more of a timing and luck thing.
Galaxanoids - This one I am definitely going to keep trying. I nearly got it last night after an hour, I was 1 note away before time ran out or I panicked and I played dumb and got killed. This is purely down to luck on where the notes spawn. This one I'll definitely get with a little more time.
Break-a-noids - This one is purely luck based, as this is very random and you basically have virtually no control over the ball. You're bouncing randomly and you've got two things from opposite sides shooting fireballs at you. This one is going to kill me!

Anyone got any tips or tricks that they can share for the above 4 Death Modes?

Thanks.

Edited by DysectorZA
  • Like 1

Apart from the usual "keep trying until you get lucky", which is the gist of much of the tips & tricks I find online, I think it's important to keep trying until you get lucky.

But seriously, in general:

• Watch some YouTube video's where people beat the level. Yes, they all got lucky spawns on that occasion, but you can still see how you could (or should) be going about the level. And when you know you are using the right method it gets easier to grind out the attempts until you finally get the luck you fully deserve by then.
  • Turn the sound off to see if that might help you. I have played muted for the last couple of days and I feel like it's helping me focus a lot more. I know the audio should probably be giving me clues on when to do what, but for a simpleton like me it is just distracting and the same tune over and over just gets me worked up and annoyed. Edit, just saw you added that tip yourself. Yeah, this is definitely a good tip ;)
  • If you can, switch between systems to play. I am going back and forth between Vita, PS3 and PS4 playing the same level. It will feel fresh even though you are still doing the same things, and some levels benefit from different controllers. For example: I love the click sounds of my Vita's X over the softer touch of the PS3 for levels where jump timing is important, but prefer a larger screen for levels where I have to squeeze through tight gaps sometimes.
  • Once you have got to know a level, try to zone out a bit. My best performances were when I was playing not really looking at anything specific on the screen but just at the thing as a whole. Look at everything and nothing at the same time I guess. Hard to explain.

Having said that, I have only 5 left now. I thought about 20 of these levels would be impossible for me, but I got a lot of them done anyway. Now however, 3 of my remaining 5 are on your list as well. The only one I do have is Break-a-noids. I did that one yesterday. At first I was going too fast from left to right and kept missing the platform. I got better at it when I took it a little more gentle. It's okay to sometimes use 2 or 3 jumps to get from left to right if it means you hit your platform and avoid the red guys. You also have air control in this one, so you can jiggle your blob a bit in the air to get around them when needed. It takes some time to get used to that, but the patterns are not too random. I watched this video, and it helped.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

• If you can, switch between systems to play. I am going back and forth between Vita, PS3 and PS4 playing the same level. It will feel fresh even though you are still doing the same things, and some levels benefit from different controllers. For example: I love the click sounds of my Vita's X over the softer touch of the PS3 for levels where jump timing is important, but prefer a larger screen for levels where I have to squeeze through tight gaps sometimes.

Thanks. That's actually a good tip. I've been trying on my Vita now for about 30 minutes and it does feel slightly different. Gonna try it a bit more now, but my hands are already starting to cramp after 30 minutes. ?

I saw a tip on one of the Youtube videos for Event Horizon #2 - There is a flash of red lightning at the top of the screen. Just after the red lightning hits, you must do a long jump to avoid the laser. This is good for when playing with the sound off.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 3:03 AM, SunnyCrappyYT said:

As for No Death Mode tips; it's mostly just luck. The circle-thingies appear randomly, and bad RNG will end most of your runs. The best advice I can give you is to keep trying and learn how to dodge the obstacles in each individual stage.

Late to this party, but I agree with this quite a bit. I'm no slouch at rhythm games, but beating the hardest levels of death mode really required just some lucky appearances.

I just did 2 of my last remaining 5 while I was waiting for my pizza. Both Event Horizon levels in under 15 minutes, I'm pretty stoked :)

Event Horizon #1: Watching the top for the red lighting is a good tip. I had heard it before but gave it another go because you mentioned it here. And I did get it to work this time! I used short jumps whenever I could to grab as many notes as possible, but leaving time to start a big jump whenever I saw the lighting. It's hard to keep focused on that thing on top of the screen for the whole duration of the level though. Especially because it jitters right before, so it's easy to mistake that for you cue to jump!

And yes, there are indeed a lot of notes, but what you should hopefully find is that sometimes there will be a couple spawning very close together. You can easily get 5 or 6 in 2 seconds that way. When you are really lucky that happens some more, and then it's just a case to take it safer and dodge the laser more than grab the notes.

Event Horizon #2: I did not look at a video for this one. First of all, I instantly killed myself when the first note was on the other end. If it was on my one, I gave it a try. I waited for the first lasers to fire and then sprinted to the first note with X. Then it all depends on where the next note is. Sometimes you will get lucky and there will be 4 or 5 spawning on the same pillar as where you are on yourself. You drop all the way down with square and sprint back to the top with X.

So bascally you are doing one of 4 things at any time: waiting for the lasers to fire, sprinting with x to the top, dropping down the pillar with square or jumping from one column to the next. I often killed myself by jumping up and not to the side when I wanted to go to the other pillar, and be careful when dropping down them because the deadly inside bit tapers out tpwards the bottom and it's easy to touch it,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I just did 2 of my last remaining 5 while I was waiting for my pizza. Both Event Horizon levels in under 15 minutes, I'm pretty stoked :)

Nice! Will try out your tips.

I managed to get Break-a-noids using my Vita. Took about 30 minutes of trying. Thought I'd never get it. The Event Horizon ones are a bother though.

I don't think it's hard - it's more luck-based and very patience testing. I remember once getting through almost all levels in one night, and that was on my first time ever seeing death mode. In most cases I wouldn't worry about being too careful - luck will ultimately decide whether you win or lose. Your use of stickyball makes a difference. Hard to give general tips - it would be much easier if someone asked me about a specific level. 

12 hours ago, DysectorZA said:

This is all mainly down to luck. Back in 2015 was the last time I played this and I only managed to get 1 of the Death Modes and I think it was by accident.

This past week, I was determined and I have now managed to get all except 4 of the Death Modes.

On top of it, I played all of the Death Modes with the sound off. So that's my tip for people struggling with Death Mode....Play with the sound off. It helped me a lot.

The last 4 Death Modes I am really struggling with are :-

Event Horizon #1 - I keep getting killed by those X lasers. I just can't seem to get around them. And if I play it safe, then the time runs out.
Event Horizon #2 - This one I can't wrap my head around, don't know if I am too slow or just not doing it right. 38 notes in 20 seconds? Am I missing something? That's nearly 2 notes per second. This seems more of a timing and luck thing.
Galaxanoids - This one I am definitely going to keep trying. I nearly got it last night after an hour, I was 1 note away before time ran out or I panicked and I played dumb and got killed. This is purely down to luck on where the notes spawn. This one I'll definitely get with a little more time.
Break-a-noids - This one is purely luck based, as this is very random and you basically have virtually no control over the ball. You're bouncing randomly and you've got two things from opposite sides shooting fireballs at you. This one is going to kill me!

Anyone got any tips or tricks that they can share for the above 4 Death Modes?

Thanks.

Someone else already gave tips for the first two.

Galaxanoids: I wouldn't recommend turning off the audio - it tells you when the enemies are going to shoot. You will mostly be using sticky ball throughout. Do not fight the movement of the wheels unless a note is really right next to you - go with it, so you can be much faster. Practice jumping from one wheel to the other - it can be done from various positions, and you can unstick the ball to go faster if needed. Finally, if there are too many wheel changes required, you will simply need better RNG. Don't be hesitant at any moment or waste time looking at the timer. You can be quite reckless, you just have to rely on RNG.

Break-a-noids: Unlike the other level, there is no harm in turning off audio and playing a bit more carefully. The bat moves automatically, do not worry about it. You should have reasonable control of the ball. Eliminate the dangers of incoming fireballs by going behind them, rather than letting them chase you. Such manoeuvres should be easy at the ball's peak height. I once finished this level with 10 seconds to spare.