New patent heavily suggests PS5 Backwards Compatibility

Zenpai

https://gearnuke.com/sony-planning-backward-compatibility-for-ps5-rumor/

If this is indeed true, then it's great news.

Considering how Sony's realized with the PS4 that going with an easy-to-develop-for PC architecture was the way to go and that it's pretty much certain that the PS5 will use a very similar or even identical architecture, I would be extremely pissed if it didn't have backwards compatibility with at least the PS4. Then again, considering how much more powerful the PS5 will be in relation to all the other Playstation systems, backwards compatibility with all of them isn't a pipe dream, either.

I think it makes sense for them to release it now as well, the remaster craze seems to have died down a little and I think people wouldn't have taken kindly to yet another generation of remasters. Just give us backwards compatibility already so we can look forward to the future!

Personally, what do I want from BC on the PS5 if this rumor does indeed happen to be true?

• Disc-based backwards compatibility. Why have backwards compatibility if all of my old physical games are no good?
  • Backwards compatibility with ALL previous Playstations. That would be the dream. And, as stated before, should be entirely within the realm of possibility if Sony were to put their minds to it.
  • Backwards compatibility with our previous save data. Now THIS would be the icing on the cake. If I could just pick up right where I left off... now that would be the dream. I would like it if they at least have BC with saves from the PS3 and PS4. PS1 and PS2 might be a little harder considering they use a completely different system, but if they actually manage to have a memory card port, or at the very least sell a separate accessory... I'm probably going to get that bad boy day one.
  • Free online play for PS3 titles. If it was free on the PS3, then we should have the same experience on the PS5.

So, what do you guys think? Excited for the prospect of backwards compatibility (FINALLY)? And what do you personally want from it?

• Like 2

This is from 2016 and likely relates to the emulation tech for the ps1 and 2 games on ps4. Of course PS5 will certainly have back compact anyway. 

Personally I don't really care for it as I have so many games not yet played, but had far more time to play older games I wanted to as a kid. Plus I always keep my old systems anyway. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 2

The way I see it, Sony is going to have to do some major thinking and designing on their part if they're going to fulfill most of the objectives you listed here.

Personally, I don't see myself ever playing those Playstation 1 games. Most of those titles are extremely dated, have very jagged, blocky graphics and have several flaws in their gameplay. Playstation 2 games on the other hand I wouldn't mind playing some of them. Tony Hawk's Underground for example, along with others that will probably never see a release on the PS4.

Free online play is very unlikely to happen. What you missed on I think is Sony made a killing with the Playstation 2 generation. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time, but Sony ended up trying to sell their Playstation 3 console off for $599 during launch, which actually hurt them quite a bit. Microsoft and their Xbox 360 had the jump on them during 2006 - 2009 with such games as Halo 3 and Gears of War, they had a superior online experience and they had achievements, which Sony didn't pick up until a bit later. It wasn't until Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III that Sony started to make strides, after the Playstation 3 had an awful start.

With Playstation Plus making a shit ton of profit and being required for online gameplay on PS4, why would Sony just drop that entirely and make it free for the Playstation 5? That would be completely stupid from a business perspective.

I think history will repeat itself with Sony. Microsoft has gotten more lenient and willing these past couple years, because they have lagged far behind this entire console generation. Nintendo of course is doing their own thing, and I don't really see them to be a proper competitor.

Maybe they will implement a couple features that will have more backwards compatibility, I don't know. The last time Sony made a system that was backwards compatible was the first model Playstation 3, and that was 12 years ago. Even then it would only play Playstation 2 games. 

You're asking for a lot here, which is probably more than what Sony is going to end up doing.

Just like I've done with this generation and the last two, I'm going to wait it out for a couple years or so and then decide if I'm going to buy Sony's new console. I don't want to buy a brand new console and then realize I'm going to have to wait a year or two for it to be more functional and user friendly. Just look at the PS4 as it was in 2013 and look at it today. It pays to wait a while.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The way I see it, Sony is going to have to do some major thinking and designing on their part if they're going to fulfill most of the objectives you listed here.

Personally, I don't see myself ever playing those Playstation 1 games. Most of those titles are extremely dated, have very jagged, blocky graphics and have several flaws in their gameplay. Playstation 2 games on the other hand I wouldn't mind playing some of them. Tony Hawk's Underground for example, along with others that will probably never see a release on the PS4.

Free online play is very unlikely to happen. What you missed on I think is Sony made a killing with the Playstation 2 generation. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time, but Sony ended up trying to sell their Playstation 3 console off for $599 during launch, which actually hurt them quite a bit. Microsoft and their Xbox 360 had the jump on them during 2006 - 2009 with such games as Halo 3 and Gears of War, they had a superior online experience and they had achievements, which Sony didn't pick up until a bit later. It wasn't until Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III that Sony started to make strides, after the Playstation 3 had an awful start.

With Playstation Plus making a shit ton of profit and being required for online gameplay on PS4, why would Sony just drop that entirely and make it free for the Playstation 5? That would be completely stupid from a business perspective.

I think history will repeat itself with Sony. Microsoft has gotten more lenient and willing these past couple years, because they have lagged far behind this entire console generation. Nintendo of course is doing their own thing, and I don't really see them to be a proper competitor.

Maybe they will implement a couple features that will have more backwards compatibility, I don't know. The last time Sony made a system that was backwards compatible was the first model Playstation 3, and that was 12 years ago. Even then it would only play Playstation 2 games. 

You're asking for a lot here, which is probably more than what Sony is going to end up doing.

Just like I've done with this generation and the last two, I'm going to wait it out for a couple years or so and then decide if I'm going to buy Sony's new console. I don't want to buy a brand new console and then realize I'm going to have to wait a year or two for it to be more functional and user friendly. Just look at the PS4 as it was in 2013 and look at it today. It pays to wait a while.

He said the PS3 titles on PS5 should have free online play, not the PS5 itself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JEDEDIAH said:

He said the PS3 titles on PS5 should have free online play, not the PS5 itself.

What about server shutdowns? What good would it be to play PS3 games on the PS5 if a lot of them that have multiplayer have their servers gone?

Eventually only the mainstay games like Grand Theft Auto IV, Uncharted 2 & 3 and a few others will have working servers. So what's really the point, unless someone is going to try to reopen the servers which I strongly doubt anyone will for these games.

Someone tried to do that with Demon's Souls, I don't know how that went. I think it worked for Unreal Tournament 3.

Backwards compatibility doesn’t matter to me. I stopped playing PS1 and PS2 games a long time ago though I do still have the consoles and all the games I bought for them. By the time the PS5 comes out (or at least by the time I get a PS5) I want to have earned every trophy on my PS3 games that I want to so I can retire that as well. That just leaves the PS4. I won’t be getting rid of my PS4 (just like every other Playstation I’ve owned) so I’ll be happy to play my PS4 backlog on my PS4.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Unlikely to happen with all previous generations and unnecessary since I keep all of my old consoles anyways

So it's only unnecessary because you keep your old consoles? Not everyone does. People might want to experience old games.

11 minutes ago, Spaz said:

What about server shutdowns? What good would it be to play PS3 games on the PS5 if a lot of them that have multiplayer have their servers gone?

Eventually only the mainstay games like Grand Theft Auto IV, Uncharted 2 & 3 and a few others will have working servers. So what's really the point, unless someone is going to try to reopen the servers which I strongly doubt anyone will for these games.

Someone tried to do that with Demon's Souls, I don't know how that went. I think it worked for Unreal Tournament 3.

Most people will only play the mainstay games anyway. Personally I just want my favourite game, Modern Warfare 3.

5 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Backwards compatibility doesn’t matter to me. I stopped playing PS1 and PS2 games a long time ago though I do still have the consoles and all the games I bought for them. By the time the PS5 comes out (or at least by the time I get a PS5) I want to have earned every trophy on my PS3 games that I want to so I can retire that as well. That just leaves the PS4. I won’t be getting rid of my PS4 (just like every other Playstation I’ve owned) so I’ll be happy to play my PS4 backlog on my PS4.

I don't see the point, unless those old consoles are going to be collectors items at some point, just like how some elderly people hold on to antiques that are worth a fortune because they're rare and nobody makes them anymore.

The recent re-releases of such games as Shemnue 1 and 2 work in my opinion because of the time that has passed. Something like Assassins Creed Rogue Remastered I think is purely done to get some more cash out of people, but mainly to attract those who never got around to the game when it first released. But knowing Ubisoft, they probably did just as shitty of a job with the PS4 version of Rogue as they did with the Ezio Auditore Collection.

The one and only reason I still have a Playstation 3 is simply because there are a lot of games only for that system that will probably never see the light of day on Playstation Now. Same with the Vita, which is worse off because Sony has pretty much entirely abandoned that console. If these games were somehow put on the PS4, then yeah, I would of ditched the older consoles years ago. But even if they were on there, I probably wouldn't pay too much attention as most games I don't care about.

There's a lot to be grateful for on the PS4. People can never have enough.

9 minutes ago, JEDEDIAH said:

Most people will only play the mainstay games anyway. Personally I just want my favourite game, Modern Warfare 3

Which you can still do today.

I have no sympathy for those who wait until the last minute to get the online done, then wish their favorite PS3 games were put on the PS5 just for the sake of having free online gameplay.

Backwards Compatibility with the ps4 at least would be amazing

I still have sooo many ps4 games I still want to played but have not played yet, and loads of new games coming out I already know I want and I think a good chunk of them I will still not have played when the PS5 arrives. 

So disc Backwards Comp would be my favorite to continue them on the Ps5

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JEDEDIAH said:

So it's only unnecessary because you keep your old consoles? Not everyone does. People might want to experience old games.

Most people will only play the mainstay games anyway. Personally I just want my favourite game, Modern Warfare 3.

It's not my problem people sell away their older consoles and games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Well, there are always those who never got the chance to buy such old consoles when they were still sold in retail. My parents never allowed me any consoles while I lived with them. Got my first one (PS3) three years ago when I moved out. I'm still sad that I missed out on the older generations of games and it's hard for me to get a hold of old consoles, so yeah...

Backwards compatibility would be quite nice, I think. I know, there are some old PS1 and PS2 games, you can buy as emulations and there is PS Now for PS3 games but having the option of getting old games and putting them on my shelf to show off to friends and being able to talk about how I played them, would be way nicer as just saying, I bought those digital. But I think it would be quite over the top, if they really would make backwards compatibility for all prior generations. I think PS4 and maybeeee PS3 would be more realistical. And I think that would already be quite a lot to appreciate, if it were the case.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I wasn't even born when the PS1 and PS2 came out.

9 minutes ago, lagoonaris said:

Well, there are always those who never got the chance to buy such old consoles when they were still sold in retail. My parents never allowed me any consoles while I lived with them. Got my first one (PS3) three years ago when I moved out. I'm still sad that I missed out on the older generations of games and it's hard for me to get a hold of old consoles, so yeah...

Backwards compatibility would be quite nice, I think. I know, there are some old PS1 and PS2 games, you can buy as emulations and there is PS Now for PS3 games but having the option of getting old games and putting them on my shelf to show off to friends and being able to talk about how I played them, would be way nicer as just saying, I bought those digital. But I think it would be quite over the top, if they really would make backwards compatibility for all prior generations. I think PS4 and maybeeee PS3 would be more realistical. And I think that would already be quite a lot to appreciate, if it were the case.

I completely agree.

• Like 1

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

How is that my problem? OP asked for opinions and I gave mine, and all you've done is attack it

Don't really see where you were attacked. We just wanted to add that there are people who never got a hold of those consoles and so couldn't sell it to begin with and therefore would be happy, if there was a chance to catch up to those oldies.

39 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I don't see the point, unless those old consoles are going to be collectors items at some point, just like how some elderly people hold on to antiques that are worth a fortune because they're rare and nobody makes them anymore.

The recent re-releases of such games as Shemnue 1 and 2 work in my opinion because of the time that has passed. Something like Assassins Creed Rogue Remastered I think is purely done to get some more cash out of people, but mainly to attract those who never got around to the game when it first released. But knowing Ubisoft, they probably did just as shitty of a job with the PS4 version of Rogue as they did with the Ezio Auditore Collection.

The one and only reason I still have a Playstation 3 is simply because there are a lot of games only for that system that will probably never see the light of day on Playstation Now. Same with the Vita, which is worse off because Sony has pretty much entirely abandoned that console. If these games were somehow put on the PS4, then yeah, I would of ditched the older consoles years ago. But even if they were on there, I probably wouldn't pay too much attention as most games I don't care about.

There's a lot to be grateful for on the PS4. People can never have enough.

Which you can still do today.

I have no sympathy for those who wait until the last minute to get the online done, then wish their favorite PS3 games were put on the PS5 just for the sake of having free online gameplay.

I personally don't care about the free online gameplay. I'll pay for it. I just want to play my favourite games on the new console because it feels better and sleeker, and gets alot more players. MW3 has no online trophies, I just want to play online for fun.

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

How is that my problem? OP asked for opinions and I gave mine, and all you've done is attack it

I wasn't saying it is your problem. I was stating that because I never got a chance to have them. You said it was unnecessary just because you had the old consoles. I didn't or don't so for me it would be a good feature and is not unnecessary at all.

• Like 2

PS4 compatibility wouldn't surprise me and I'd dare say it's expected because of the simple architecture the PS4 uses and the PS5 likely will use. PS1 and PS2 there's no excuse but it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to not include it so it wouldn't take the thunder of PS Now. PS3 is tricky, you need CELL in a console to play PS3 games unless Sony has found a decent emulator. I will say that if PS4 BC is on the PS5, I better have access to every game I bought on the PS Store with no hassle.

Edited by majob
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

There are tens and tens of third-party games with working servers, not necessarily multiplayer, but even basic things like leaderboards. The list is not short.

Anyway IDGAF about backwards compatibility with home consoles if it's not total. It was never total before, and will probably never be in the future.

It is make sense to have all compatible on PS5 and that's explain why they are going to ditch ps3 support and replace with PS5 all in one store. I will be very happy that i cam still earn ps3 trophy and continue playing it. And that aldo the point of having digital library. Is to have forward compatability.

on PS3 they also sell old ps1-ps2 game so it's make sense. 

And i can see PS Now is going to transition to be like Game Pass and now let you downloading all game to play on system or if you choose to streaming it also able to do.

This also help transitioning people much easier from PS4 and have people play old game ehile waiting their favourite release.

Edited by FielVeredus

11 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

This is from 2016 and likely relates to the emulation tech for the ps1 and 2 games on ps4.

And yet it was renewed just this month.

11 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Unlikely to happen with all previous generations and unnecessary since I keep all of my old consoles anyways

I also keep all of my old consoles (and would still keep them even if full BC came to PS5), but's still a hell of a lot more convenient to be able to play all your games on a single machine instead of having to keep them all plugged onto your TV.

Unnecessary to you doesn't mean unnecessary to everyone.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

The last time Sony made a system that was backwards compatible was the first model Playstation 3, and that was 12 years ago. Even then it would only play Playstation 2 games. 

It could play PS2 and PS1 games. The PS3 itself had the hardware of a PS2 inside it, the games were not emulated. That is why all the future PS3s did not have backwards compatibility with PS2. But since the PS1 hardware is so simple to recreate, every single PS3 model was backwards compatible with PS1 games.