New patent heavily suggests PS5 Backwards Compatibility

Zenpai

11 minutes ago, DEADLOCKED11 said:

It could play PS2 and PS1 games. The PS3 itself had the hardware of a PS2 inside it, the games were not emulated.

Not completely true.

NA - hardware

EU - emulator

11 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Backwards compatibility doesn’t matter to me. I stopped playing PS1 and PS2 games a long time ago

I'd return to playing 1 and 2 games in a minute. Only things I'd need were upscaling and trophy support.

• Like 1

I’m expecting it to be backwards compatible with PS4 games.

But I have mentioned before that if they could make it fully backwards compatible with every generation of PS console (never going to happen)... but if you could play all PS1,2,& 3 games also.. they would not only wipe the floor with any competition, but they’d also open up a huge area of profit. 

The amount of games they they could add to the digital marketplace from the 4 previous generations would be insane. (Obviously a lot wouldn’t be added due to licensing)

I’m a collector and I’d love to be able to play all my old games on one console, instead of having to unpack a different console or use an emulator on my PC..

like I said, it’s never going to happen. But I can dream

• Like 1

Backwards compatibility with the PS4 is pretty much certain given the move to x86 architecture and the excellent work Microsoft has been doing with BC on the Xbox One (pretty much the only thing that console has going for it). Sony would look extremely bad in comparison if their next console didn't have it, there's no way. 

I'm far more interested in seeing what they're going to do in regards to PS1, PS2, and PS3 emulation. I think it's incredibly silly how PS1 classics and the vast majority of PS2 classics are stranded on the PS3 (at least PS1 classics are playable on Vita). I know PS3 emulation is a whole different beast due to the Cell processor, but now that we're going to be two generations removed from that, surely there's got to be a way. The engineers over at Xbox figured out how to emulate Xbox 360 games on Xbox One despite at one point saying it was impossible. I'm no expert, but surely it would be possible to emulate PS3 on the PS5 if they tried hard enough. And yes, I know about the current state of PS3 emulation on PC, but the people doing that don't have a team of engineers at Sony to help them.

It's a pipe dream, I know, but it would be HUGE if the allowed you to play your entire library of PlayStation games on PS5, even if it's digital-only for the systems prior to PS4. It's honestly the only thing that would convince me to buy a PS5 close to launch. Otherwise I'm probably just going to wait a few of years for the next iteration of the console.

• Like 3

Maybe it is truly not possible on PS4 (Damn you Cell!  If it were, I think they'd have done it by now), but PS5 should be powerful enough to emulate PS3.  CD support should be brought back so it can play PS1/2 discs also.  I don't think Sony needs to stop at digital for PS3 titles, if PS5 can read Blu-ray discs.  Full BC means you could more easily sell earlier PS systems (your PS3 & PS4/Pro) to help pay for the new one.

I wouldn't mind digital PSP & Vita game support, but not having this wouldn't kill the deal.  Sadly Vita games would suffer the same limitations as they did with PSTV (if a Vita game uses the rear touch pad, good luck with that).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Maybe it is truly not possible on PS4 (Damn you Cell!  If it were, I think they'd have done it by now), but PS5 should be powerful enough to emulate PS3.  CD support should be brought back so it can play PS1/2 discs also.  I don't think Sony needs to stop at digital for PS3 titles, if PS5 can read Blu-ray discs.  Full BC means you could more easily sell earlier PS systems (your PS3 & PS4/Pro) to help pay for the new one.

I wouldn't mind digital PSP & Vita game support, but not having this wouldn't kill the deal.  Sadly Vita games would suffer the same limitations as they did with PSTV (if a Vita game uses the rear touch pad, good luck with that).

PS4 doesn’t use the Cell processor, I think you confused the PS3 with PS4, cage the PS3 had a Cell processer, it’s Far more likely that we’ll be able to play PS4 games on PS5 then PS3 on PS5

Edit: Nvm, Sorry misunderstood what you were saying lol.

I am really hoping for PS4 Backwards compatibly at least.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

Backwards compatibility with the PS4 is pretty much certain given the move to x86 architecture and the excellent work Microsoft has been doing with BC on the Xbox One (pretty much the only thing that console has going for it). Sony would look extremely bad in comparison if their next console didn't have it, there's no way. 

How is BC a given when even Xbox One doesn't have real BC? You have to wait for MS to decide what games to add to their emulation list before their brand of "BC" works. 

It's likely that PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 and that would be a good selling point for me. My PS4 has had so many issues that I wouldn't mind putting it back in it's box and using the future PS5 for both games. I would personally rather play my PS3 games on my PS3 and my PS2 and PS1 games on my PS2 but I would welcome the addition if this really happens

2 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

How is BC a given when even Xbox One doesn't have real BC? You have to wait for MS to decide what games to add to their emulation list before their brand of "BC" works. 

The X360 games' executables need to be recompiled into X86 before a game is compatible. That's why it downloads something when you start playing an 360 game on X1, even if you're using the retail version.

about fucking time, all the games in my library, crying for not being able to run in the latest hardware. backwards compatibility should always be a priority in the making of new consoles.

• Like 2

These days I don’t really care about backwards compatibility.  Not planning on getting rid of my ps4 so don’t really see the value unless it goes belly up.  So while that is a possibility eventually, backwards compatibility almost feels like a relic of the past.

I question any legal department that would tell Sony it's a good idea to file a patent for such a groundbreaking competitive advantage under their actual company.

Most companies would have a spin-off company file the patent so they can keep the advantage and competitors don't have a glaring clue of what Sony's next steps will be. 

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

The X360 games' executables need to be recompiled into X86 before a game is compatible. That's why it downloads something when you start playing an 360 game on X1, even if you're using the retail version.

That isn't real BC and is limited to the games MS updates. 

Xbox One and X86s aren't reasons that mean BC on PS5 is a given.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

Backwards Compatibility with digital vita games would be cool, but highly unlikely.

Don't really see why not since Sony did release the PS TV after all. You wouldn't be able to play a game with touch screen support but I don't think it'd be really hard add support for the rest of the Vita library. 

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

That isn't real BC and is limited to the games MS updates. 

Xbox One and X86s aren't reasons that mean BC on PS5 is a given.

True.  Real BC would mean every 360 & original Xbox game playable.  We can forget any licensed games being ported (It really doesn't deserve to be called BC) to X1.  A lot of good games that didn't sell so great will probably not be touched by MS either.

majob- I'd be glad if Sony did put Vita BC into the PS5.  They could keep selling Vita games that way, & PS5 might even be able to play them in higher resolutions than 540p.  One idea I had until Sony killed the Vita was to use a Bluetooth-paired Vita as a controller to play the game on PS5.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dual Shock 5 get a rear touchpad.  Not just for BC with the Vita, but surely they could use it for PS5 titles.

I'd like to see the touchpad used for aiming in FPS.  You could use short movements for precise aiming, or a fast swipe to turn quickly.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Wouldn't backwards compatibility kill PS Now?  From what i understand PS Now is a cash cow Sony wants to get ringing pretty badly.  I think backwards compatibility is a dream on the part of the consumer and something Sony has no intention on doing.

Except it transform itself to be like Game Pass. The download technology is there and if PS5 is all BC. It's make sense now. 

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

The way I see it, Sony is going to have to do some major thinking and designing on their part if they're going to fulfill most of the objectives you listed here.

Personally, I don't see myself ever playing those Playstation 1 games. Most of those titles are extremely dated, have very jagged, blocky graphics and have several flaws in their gameplay. Playstation 2 games on the other hand I wouldn't mind playing some of them. Tony Hawk's Underground for example, along with others that will probably never see a release on the PS4.

Free online play is very unlikely to happen. What you missed on I think is Sony made a killing with the Playstation 2 generation. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time, but Sony ended up trying to sell their Playstation 3 console off for $599 during launch, which actually hurt them quite a bit. Microsoft and their Xbox 360 had the jump on them during 2006 - 2009 with such games as Halo 3 and Gears of War, they had a superior online experience and they had achievements, which Sony didn't pick up until a bit later. It wasn't until Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III that Sony started to make strides, after the Playstation 3 had an awful start.

With Playstation Plus making a shit ton of profit and being required for online gameplay on PS4, why would Sony just drop that entirely and make it free for the Playstation 5? That would be completely stupid from a business perspective.

I think history will repeat itself with Sony. Microsoft has gotten more lenient and willing these past couple years, because they have lagged far behind this entire console generation. Nintendo of course is doing their own thing, and I don't really see them to be a proper competitor.

Maybe they will implement a couple features that will have more backwards compatibility, I don't know. The last time Sony made a system that was backwards compatible was the first model Playstation 3, and that was 12 years ago. Even then it would only play Playstation 2 games. 

You're asking for a lot here, which is probably more than what Sony is going to end up doing.

Just like I've done with this generation and the last two, I'm going to wait it out for a couple years or so and then decide if I'm going to buy Sony's new console. I don't want to buy a brand new console and then realize I'm going to have to wait a year or two for it to be more functional and user friendly. Just look at the PS4 as it was in 2013 and look at it today. It pays to wait a while.

Dont forget how long it took for the ps4 to have some actually decent exclusives, hell even a decent game for the new console took like 2 years before quality games came rolling in.... atleast imo

Backwards compatibility would obviously be a nice thing to have. It doesn’t really matter to me all that much since i still own my PS3/4 and don’t really intend on throwing them away either way. 

On top of that i don’t see the industry just giving up on another generation of easy remasterbucks.

5 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

Wouldn't backwards compatibility kill PS Now?  From what i understand PS Now is a cash cow Sony wants to get ringing pretty badly.  I think backwards compatibility is a dream on the part of the consumer and something Sony has no intention on doing.

Even if Sony didn't want to add PS1-3 support, it would be absolutely foolish to at least not add PS4 BC if only to let adopters keep playing their current PS4 games until the PS5 game library grows. Now and BC can exist side by side, MS is doing it just fine.

The only reason I'd want backwards compatibility is if Sony decides they want to shut PSN for PS3. I will retire from PSN entirely if they shut the whole network for the PS3 unless they can offer full backwards compatibility for the games that were on PS3. If PS Now is their answer for playing games and getting trophies on them for PS3 games then that's pathetic when Microsoft has put a lot of effort into backwards compatibility for games that people own physically. I'd hope this "backwards compatibility" applies to download lists as well, because they'd be scamming millions of their PS3 customers out of thousands of downloads from the PS3 era. I'm keeping the old consoles, but if they decide to no longer support the network for old consoles, I want something in place that allows me to play those games and get the trophies, as well as access my digital library from the PS3. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

Not completely true.

NA - hardware

EU - emulator

Further, that was only the earlier version. The later 80 GB model in NA had emulation, just like EU.

Anyway, getting back to the thread, great news if it holds up. I have a lot of digital games on the PS4 that I haven't had the opportunity to play. It will be great to have those games for PS5...and not play them there, either.