New patent heavily suggests PS5 Backwards Compatibility

Zenpai

That news article is a bit bogus as far as I can tell. The quote that is used hardly holds any relation to backwards compatibility. From the quote alone it's far more likely to be an inventive way to quickly remaster a game without having to really touch the original at all. It seems to be about a method whereby:

- You have a bunch of new assets like textures

- The original textures are identified by some unique identifier

- Based on that identifier, old textures are replaced by new ones on the fly, probably inside some sort of emulator.

So then you're looking at new (probably much higher resolution) textures and not at the original ones. This - I think - is called a remaster?

But you be the judge, this is the quote:

Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it. The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers. The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

Edit: I took a look at the patent itself. It's called "Remastering by emulation". Case closed. But yeah, backwards compatibility would be nice.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 3

I don't know about the article but if the PS5 did not have backwards compatibility it would be a major flaw that would be capitalised on my Microsoft.

So many re-masters this generation, players would not accept re-mastered re-masters on the PS5. If we could enjoy digital and physical games from the previous generation(s), the console would make a killing and what a library it would have!

Personally I have a PS3 and PS4 set up, always worried in case my PS3 suddenly dies and I'm left with incomplete games. How good it would be to retire both systems and just have one and continue gaming where I left off.

I've still got a 15 year backlog of games and I don't want to have to switch through potentially 3 separate consoles to play them.

• Like 1

I don't care much about PS4 backwards compatibilty sine I keep my consoles. But I would like PS3 compatibilty so I can record gameplay more easily. That stupid HDCP that should have been patched out years ago is still there...

Not to mention that the PS3 is so slow to go to the XMB and sync trophies, and the controller is not as comfortable as the DS4 (which I recently learned I can use on PS3, although not all games are compatible).

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Further, that was only the earlier version. The later 80 GB model in NA had emulation, just like EU.

To take it even further:

NA

60GB (4 USB slots) - PS2 hardware, up to full compatibility

20GB (4 USB slots) - PS2 hardware, up to full compatibility

80GB (4 USB slots, early version) - emulation, high compatibility (unless updated to a certain firmware version it seems)

80GB (2 USB slots, late version, DualShock) and all other (2 USB slots) models - no compatibility

EU

60GB (4 USB slots) - emulation

All other models (2 USB slots) - no bc

?

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 4:49 AM, JEDEDIAH said:

I personally don't care about the free online gameplay. I'll pay for it. I just want to play my favourite games on the new console because it feels better and sleeker, and gets alot more players. MW3 has no online trophies, I just want to play online for fun.

There's some Special Ops trophies which I hear are much easier to do with a partner. MW3 is essentially like MW2 in this regard. Possible to do them yourself, but usually when trophies were designed around co-op they are usually pretty difficult to do solo.

22 hours ago, DEADLOCKED11 said:

It could play PS2 and PS1 games. The PS3 itself had the hardware of a PS2 inside it, the games were not emulated. That is why all the future PS3s did not have backwards compatibility with PS2. But since the PS1 hardware is so simple to recreate, every single PS3 model was backwards compatible with PS1 games.

True, I missed out on that detail.

Still wouldn't play the vast majority of Playstation 1 games. They're too dated and a lot of them haven't aged well at all.

Playstation 2 games would still be effective if more have a proper release on the PS4/PS5. Shemnue 1 & 2 were released fairly recently and both have gotten praise from a lot of people who have played through them. Though technically they were initially Sega Dreamcast games, which predates the Playstation 2.

On 10/7/2018 at 4:52 AM, JEDEDIAH said:

I wasn't saying it is your problem. I was stating that because I never got a chance to have them. You said it was unnecessary just because you had the old consoles. I didn't or don't so for me it would be a good feature and is not unnecessary at all.

Hopefully if there is such a hardware feature there is also a seperate release without the feature. I dont want my PS5 to be priced higher because it can BC ps1 ps2 games or even ps3. Im happy enough if it is just BC PS4. 

4 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Hopefully if there is such a hardware feature there is also a seperate release without the feature. I dont want my PS5 to be priced higher because it can BC ps1 ps2 games or even ps3. Im happy enough if it is just BC PS4. 

The only way it would cost more is if backwards compatibility was done via hardware emulation (like how launch model PS3's basically had a PS2 built into them). That isn't going to happen. The PS5 is going to be more than powerful enough to accurately run PS1 & PS2 games via software emulation. I'm sure they would rather forgo PS3 emulation entirely if it's only possible by including extra hardware in the box. It didn't work out so well for them last time...

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Still wouldn't play the vast majority of Playstation 1 games. They're too dated and a lot of them haven't aged well at all.

Playstation 2 games would still be effective if more have a proper release on the PS4/PS5. Shemnue 1 & 2 were released fairly recently and both have gotten praise from a lot of people who have played through them. Though technically they were initially Sega Dreamcast games, which predates the Playstation 2.

I think this is true for the majority of the people on the site considering there arent trophies and most of us have a huge backlog of PS3 and 4 titles to go through first. But I definitely wouldnt agree about PS1 being too dated for every type of gamer out there. There are tons of games that have aged well or hold up on their own from gameplay alone. All the castlevanias, most JRPGs and a good portion of the platformers (oddworld, megaman, spyro and crash) and I am sure that the list would change greatly depending on who you ask.

About half my PS3 and 4 library consists of PS1 and 2 remakes/remasters , love replaying them all with trophies, and not everyone cares about trophies.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:19 AM, SnowxSakura said:

It will in a year or two, the ps4 is 5 years old and they usually announce new hardware halfway into the 10 year lifespan

Calling it now. It really isn't going to be announced until like 3 years maybe. Just because ps4 is 5 years old doesn't mean it's going to be outdated in a year or two. There are a lot of games on the way.

25 minutes ago, The Titan said:

Calling it now. It really isn't going to be announced until like 3 years maybe. Just because ps4 is 5 years old doesn't mean it's going to be outdated in a year or two. There are a lot of games on the way.

it was the same way with the ps1 ps2 and ps3

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-10-09-sony-confirms-playstation-5-but-doesnt-call-it-playstation-5

11 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Times have kind of changed. Hardware is getting more and more expensive. I have high doubts ps5 will be here by 2020. If it does it should look much better than ps4 graphics. Like night and day. And I don't see it happening by 2 years from now.

Advantages:

- I would have a 3rd "ps4" to boost games with

Disadvantages:

- No more remasters, which would suck a lot. No more trophy stacks to replay games playing improved versions

Conclusion:

- I hope there's no backwards compatibility again. The disadvantage is not fixable for myself, while I could always buy a 3rd ps4 for further boosting. Remasters are always a good extra option and whoever wants to play ps4 games could keep their systems.

7 hours ago, The Titan said:

Times have kind of changed. Hardware is getting more and more expensive. I have high doubts ps5 will be here by 2020. If it does it should look much better than ps4 graphics. Like night and day. And I don't see it happening by 2 years from now.

Not really, in the 90s had some of the most expensive game consoles going anywhere from 700 dollars to a little over 1,000.

At this point in technology graphical standards aren't going to increase by much, the main focus will probably be 4k and 60fps on the highest settings at a reasonable pricepoint

On 10/10/2018 at 3:39 AM, SnowxSakura said:

the main focus will probably be 4k and 60fps on the highest settings at a reasonable pricepoint

if that's seriously the price point then I'll vomit. I really hate 4K. It's such a gimmick. That's my opinion honestly. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 8:25 PM, The Titan said:

Very unlikely.

The video game industry is starting to hit a plateau when it comes to graphics, I don't think there is much hi tech companies can do other than make the graphics and the characters ever more realistic like they've been doing the past two to three years.

Spider-Man on the PS4 Pro looks good enough. But that isn't adequate enough for some people, who want the latest and greatest in graphics and technology. Which the PC market has already beaten the PS4 Pro and Xbox One Scorpio in.

I stopped buying physical games and movies about 4 years ago now so i'm not too fussed about disc based backwards compatibility and the way things are going, we'll eventually have access to the entire back catalog of Playstation games anyway.

For the time being at least - I'd expect a PS5 to be able to run all of the digital games I purchase on the PS3 & PS4 though.

I'd actually like Sony to produce two versions of a PS5, one with a disc drive for folks who prefer physical copy-based gaming and movie watching. And one without a disc drive that could potentially be more compact and slimmer. It's all about the aesthetics! haha

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

On 10/11/2018 at 9:20 PM, MMDE said:

That's until you play 4k on a 55"+ screen...

4K looks great. But 1080p is good enough. I'm not going to spend money on shit that looks almost identical to 1080p. Especially since 1080p is good enough already.  

On 10/11/2018 at 11:13 PM, Spaz said:

Very unlikely.

The video game industry is starting to hit a plateau when it comes to graphics, I don't think there is much hi tech companies can do other than make the graphics and the characters ever more realistic like they've been doing the past two to three years.

Spider-Man on the PS4 Pro looks good enough. But that isn't adequate enough for some people, who want the latest and greatest in graphics and technology. Which the PC market has already beaten the PS4 Pro and Xbox One Scorpio in.

Then what's the point of ps5? A faster UI? Lmao. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Titan said:

4K looks great. But 1080p is good enough. I'm not going to spend money on shit that looks almost identical to 1080p. Especially since 1080p is good enough already.  

4K actually looks significantly better than 1080p on a big enough screen.

Edited by MMDE

13 minutes ago, The Titan said:

I don't like the fact that video games are becoming more like movies. That was the thing I enjoyed video games the most back when I was a kid and when I was a teenager in high school. That you can immerse yourself in a world that isn't like those Hollywood esque movies and blockbusters that have to have shiny cinematics, 4K video quality and lots of explosions.

Nowadays, they are very much like those Hollywood movies and Netflix television shows you've been watching.

Plus I think they're following the tried and true path too much. They need to take more risks, which is only something I see primarily in indie games and some niche games that few people know about. I mean sure, Assassins Creed Odyssey looks great in 4K when played on a PS4 Pro and Ultra 4K TV. But it's to the point where the graphics are the big sellers.

31 minutes ago, MMDE said:

4K actually looks significantly better than 1080p on a big enough screen.

To me it looks good. But not mind blowing. Maybe 8k and 60fps would be cool. And the graphics are way better. If not then I don't see why the fuck PS5 would come out less than 3 years from now. Sounds like a waste of money. 

I was looking to stop this generation as I don’t have anywhere near the free time to keep up to date with gaming anymore, I was looking to go back to retro gaming but if the PS5 could play and upscale PS2 games then I would buy into it

I still have my old consoles but the PS2 and N64 are the ones which do not look decent on HD TVs, hopefully the N64 mini (once hacked) will take care of that but I have too many PS2 discs im looking to replay so I would very much welcome disc based backwards compatibility, I’m keeping my PS3 and PS4 so not personally fussed about those being back compatible

3 hours ago, The Titan said:

I have yet to know why people want even more powerful hardware. I mean... the PS4 is perfectly fine. I don't really see how gaming can improve significantly from here on out. If we get backwards compatibility with all previous consoles and a guaranteed butter-smooth 60 fps on every game (I don't even care about 4K, that's only for people with huge freaking TV sets), then I can see the use, but if we're not going to get any of that... then what's the point?

• Like 2