New patent heavily suggests PS5 Backwards Compatibility

Zenpai

You know how from time to time these threads keep popping up and people are concerned the PS3 and Vita are gonna get disconnected from the PSN so they won't be able to earn trophies on those systems anymore? Regardless of whether those concerns are reasonable or not, this would nip those threads in the bud if it turns out to be true. Just get a PS5 and move on.

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2018 at 3:17 AM, jrdemr said:

I have yet to know why people want even more powerful hardware. I mean... the PS4 is perfectly fine. I don't really see how gaming can improve significantly from here on out. If we get backwards compatibility with all previous consoles and a guaranteed butter-smooth 60 fps on every game (I don't even care about 4K, that's only for people with huge freaking TV sets), then I can see the use, but if we're not going to get any of that... then what's the point?

If I'm going to trade in my PS4 for a 'better, more improved' PS4 it would be for performance, not graphics.

I personally think mid-generation consoles are just a way to sucker people into buying the same shit. It's like that guy who collects Blu-Ray discs for a hobby to switch out his collection for a 4K Blu-Ray collection. For most people, the regular Blu-Ray discs are already good enough, so why would they bother to get slightly better graphics that are only really seen on a big TV flatscreen?

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

I believe it when I see it.

Microsoft has been humbled by their downfall and reportedly has pretty decent backwards compatibility now. If there was a rumour like this about Microsoft, I'd believe it.

But Sony is very much on their high horse right now. Doing backwards compatibility would be uncharacteristically decent of them. It would be one of the best ways to ensure another win over Microsoft next generation though.

On 13/10/2018 at 0:17 PM, jrdemr said:

I don't really see how gaming can improve significantly from here on out.

Just saying, this post will be hilarious thirty years from now.