Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

Deathon6

Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?   

420 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

• I have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy.
    • Yes I have cheated in one way or another.
  2. 2. Have you ever used mods or have ever asked a modder to unlock trophies for you.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever used a glitch or exploited a bug in the game to earn a trophy?

• Yes
    • No

How many of you guys can honestly say that you have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy? 

How many of you guys can honestly say that you do not have any trophies that were unlocked by a modder whether you wanted them to unlock them or not? 

How many of you guys can honestly say that you have never exploited a bug or glitch in the game to help you earn a trophy. 

If you answered yes to any of the questions in the poll you are a cheater. 

No, No and Yes.

Happy?

And yes, using the save of other people to unlock trophies you can't due to ANY reason is considered cheating on PSNP. Don't try to twist around the facts, it's the rule and if you break, PSNP Staff will reinforce it.

Just to make this point clearer:

Things that are not flaggable:

• In-game glitches/exploits - These are considered mistakes not found or fixed by the developer by the time of the release of the game and due to them being able to be found by accident by anyone, it's not considered cheating. Additionally, deleting update data to use a glitch on a previous version of the game is also allowed and not a flaggable offense. Online glitches and exploits possible in-game are also allowed.

Things that are flaggable:

• Using a save file to auto-unlock trophies - If you use an external save file to auto-unlock trophies or advance you further into the game and the impossibility of normal circumstance can be proven via the timestamps, it's flaggable. This includes using your own save file to unlock trophies at an impossible time frame, be careful with this, always sync your trophies, and do not use your save file to earn trophies impossibly out of order.

All of this is here:

Edited by Otonio_Bruno
  • Like 1

I got this super quick Slyde Trophy (shaaaame) and people still saying it is a glitch that you get ALL the trophies after one puzzle but I don't know really

Other than that I used the amin-console for the Ark Platinum, but this is a legitimately ingame tool fora sandbox game so does that count? 

Never used any third party software or stuff like that 

I mean, I reloaded my safe file twice to pop the trophies for reaching level 8 with good/neutral/evil karma in Fallout 3. Certainly not a flaggable offense, don't think this could be considered an in-game glitch either since I'm just reloading to the point before I leveled up to change my karma :P Certainly cuts down number of playthroughs, and I'm definitely legitimately fulfilling trophy obligations each time they pop.

Other than that (if it could even be called exploiting), nope. Everything is 300% legit. Granted, I only have 3 games, but I'm definitely focused on being as legitimate as possible. If I cheat to earn a trophy, the trophy loses value to me, and then what's the point of having it? I see the Fallout 3 level trophies using the save reload to be a fair and legitimate way of unlocking the trophies for respective karmas, it's simply reloading a checkpoint to do the same action over again a different way.

1 minute ago, MMDE said:

Depends on definition.

Cheater- Someone who doesn't play fair or doesn't earn the trophy on how it was meant to be done. An example: Beat Wolfenstien Old Blood final level on uber  to unlock the uber trophy. It's a glitch. That's cheating. Yes I know it's not the players fault for there being a glitch, but if the player doesn't care and just wants to get the trophy, he can just earn it without having to beat the entire game on uber. 

• Like 2

Depends what you mean, for example some players would consider using two controllers to be cheating. I've done that a lot lol. I've also boosted online wins and such. I figure everyone here would'nt count that as cheating lol but well it happens.

I did once on the 360 see that a glitch can give you around 500G on X-Blades so course I did it. 

I also once had the entire 1000G unlock on a game once, was weird. I transferred my save over to a new profile (my old profile was shared with family, so I decided I wanted to get my own profile) and when to transered my save, the entire 1000 popped. Was weird, as I'd actually only earned 500G originally. So that was through a glitch but not on purpose. 

So I guess the most cheat was intentionally using a glitch once in X Blades.

Although I did get my brother to get me one trophy once, the final one for BlazBlue CTG. That shit was too hard 

Also, I suppose using cheat codes in Lego games count lol but like, thats what theyre there for anyway lol

Also I suppose reloading and using alt save files for missables and such counts too in a way. EG, get an ending, reload, get a different ending etc. 

Edited by Muur1993

21 minutes ago, The Titan said:

Cheater- Someone who doesn't play fair or doesn't earn the trophy on how it was meant to be done. An example: Beat Wolfenstien Old Blood final level on uber  to unlock the uber trophy. It's a glitch. That's cheating. Yes I know it's not the players fault for there being a glitch, but if the player doesn't care and just wants to get the trophy, he can just earn it without having to beat the entire game on uber. 

Going by speedrun definitions, a glitch is something that wasn't intended, but is possible without changing anything in the game. A cheat is something that requires outside interference, such as a cheat device or manipulating the game's code. People also take issue with debug stuff left in the game, but that's neither and can be chalked up to developer carelessness when removing access to them. I'll give an example using Super Smash Bros Melee, since it's such a popular game.

Glitch: the infamous black hole. Requires some effort to execute, but can be done without any sort of manipulation to the game.

Cheat: unlocking everything or completing all events upon the game's startup.

Debug: Master Hand being playable.

• Like 2

A modder was dropping hundreds of money bags in GTA online one day. I didn't ask for it but i sure as hell was racing against the rest of the randoms in the lobby to pick up the most. Got around 10mil :lol:

Edited by Gibbo_0113
  • Like 1

I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't see using bugs or exploits as cheating. You're not playing the game the way it was meant to be played and are taking advantage of something that shouldn't be there to gain an advantage. Ergo, cheating. But those who hop on that high horse of 'who cares about others, don't judge' aren't adding anything to this discussion at all.

The only thing I've cheated at is using the 'glitch' in Energy Cycle. I'll prob use the debug mode in Jak & Daxter games too, but I don't really care about that. The bugs were left in the game, why not use them? I guess you could also count reloading my cloud save for Slain as cheating because it's a workaround having to do a no-death run legit. I don't really have a problem with taking advantage of this stuff lol As long as you're not hacking/modding I don't care.

Edit: Only just saw what this thread was a reaction to lol Yeah, you asking people to send you their save game is cheating. No question about it.

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 2