Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

Deathon6

Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?   

420 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

• I have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy.
    • Yes I have cheated in one way or another.
  2. 2. Have you ever used mods or have ever asked a modder to unlock trophies for you.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever used a glitch or exploited a bug in the game to earn a trophy?

• Yes
    • No

I used a gameshark to get super powerful weapons, cause man its just damn fun to blow shits up to smitherins in borderlands or watch zombies explode in Dead Island.

I've used nearly everything other than actually modifying the game to get trophies.

If you count boosting and using walkthroughs as cheating... well, you're hardnose as fuck.

Other than that, I've used exploits and even asked people to get trophies for me, but even that's really rare.

I've only used exploits with the Uncharted Remastered games, considering Brutal difficulty is hard to the point of being unfair.

I've also only asked someone else for help with a trophy once. Since I don't have PS Plus, I've asked a friend of mine to get one of the online trophies on Dragon Ball FighterZ for me.

But other than those specific cases, I'm pretty legit.

• Like 1

I cloud synced for Motorstorm RC

On my Playstation Vita and PS3

Sue meee, sue meeee.

Used an exploit for Cycles of Energy

Bothered with that game I could not be

Sue meeee, sue meeeee

With hard mode glitch the plat trophy

Of Far Cry Classic came to me

Sue meee, sue meee!

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

Here's my past history of using exploits, glitches & controversial game features to earn trophies:

• I used the much discussed Debug Mode for Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy and Jak II (I don't plan on using it for Jak 3) to earn a lot of trophies. I have zero regrets!
  • I used the Sound Shapes cloud sync to auto pop many, many trophies (even though it is not real cheating, some people will forever consider this a cheap manner of earning trophies. However I'd like to believe it's not cheating as you will have to earn every trophy legitimately once before being able to earn the same trophies again for a different stack of the game).
  • I performed the 1 million bolts trophy exploit for Ratchet & Clank (PS3 & Vita HD ports of the PS2 gem).
  • I used the Energy Cycle Time Attack / Infinite Mode glitch (which many people believe was an intentional feature aimed at trophy hunters). If it wasn't for this exploit I would never have considered playing this game. Now look at me! I am one of the first 50 platinum achievers for both the PS4 & Vita European stacks of this game!
Edited by Skeptical69

Never cheated a trophy as I don't see the point. When I earn a trophy I want to feel like I truly earned it.

I generally like to do things the intended way, but if a trophy is very unreasonable (like LEGO World's billionaire), I'll use glitches to get it.

5 hours ago, MMDE said:

Depends on definition.

Actually the 1st question is redundant, since it includes the other 2 (but I know that cheating doesn't limit to those 2 things). 

As for me, technically I do cheat frequently, since I have no problems taking advantage of glitches in most games (even if it ends up being redundant, like me cheating Zone Zeus on Wipeout HD and doing Mach 1.5 on Wipeout 2048 legit.. If I can do one legit, there's no way I wouldn't be able to do the other legit too), + I boost many online trophies, and a lot of people also see this as cheating.. 

7 hours ago, Deathon6 said:

How many of you guys can honestly say that you have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy? 

How many of you guys can honestly say that you do not have any trophies that were unlocked by a modder whether you wanted them to unlock them or not? 

How many of you guys can honestly say that you have never exploited a bug or glitch in the game to help you earn a trophy. 

If you answered yes to any of the questions in the poll you are a cheater. 

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find people who didn't use an in-game exploit to make the completion easier. But nobody's going to admit to modding their game. 

• Like 1

wow roflmao...

Well yeah I boost dead only modes, I sometimes use guide, and OMG I used the crossfile in sound shapes. damnit but the most evil thing I ever did?

I had FUN with my best friend trying to beat devil Jin in tekken 6 (this train thing) she tried, I tried, she tried again and we laughed together and beefed about it and OMG again, the trophy popped by accident when it was her turn and not mine.

WOW I am a cheater having fun with a game.

• Like 1

The only thing I disagree in this OP’s topic is the way he immediately judges people for cheating if they answered Yes to any of those questions...

If you use in-game cheats that doesn’t affect trophies it’s different from downloading a save file or ask someone in share play to do it.

Where’s the question “Have you bought any game just for the trophies and not the game itself?” I rather see how many people actually enjoyed Sound Shapes or Energy Trilogy :) The only game I did this was Aabs Animals, where I could smoke a cigarette for 5 minutes and unlock all trophies naturally :D

A lot of people started Jak II And Jak III (those I don’t like at all) because they found the debug mode code. Some had a really hard time through some story missions and used the exploit at the end... 

Share play should disable any trophies. They don’t, so why thinking too much about it?

• Like 3

I mean. Yes to 1 and 3, but as for 2, I did get help from a dude to pop the Minecraft trophies. He had one of them worlds with everything primed to go, never know, he could have been using a mod, but to the best of my knowledge anyway, I have not.

1 hour ago, TurtlePM said:

The only thing I disagree in this OP’s topic is the way he immediately judges people for cheating if they answered Yes to any of those questions...

If you use in-game cheats that doesn’t affect trophies it’s different from downloading a save file or ask someone in share play to do it.

This entire topic is the OP throwing a tantrum and going "No, you" because he was called out for requesting a save to unlock a character. I didn't know that coming into this, but after seeing some mentions I was curious enough to check those posts myself. The rest of the thread is people not knowing that either and taking him seriously.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NamoPh said:

This entire topic is the OP throwing a tantrum and going "No, you" because he was called out for requesting a save to unlock a character. I didn't know that coming into this, but after seeing some mentions I was curious enough to check those posts myself. The rest of the thread is people not knowing that either and taking him seriously.

I knew this but it's always nice to get at least something out of the wreckage right?

• Like 1

Here are some games/scenarios that are up for debate on if its cheating or not. 

1) Trophy - Play for 100 hours.

Solution - Fast forward the game clock 100 hours.

2) Trophies - Do X, Y, and Z.

Solution - Buy the trophies using in-game currency (Nier Automata).

3) Trophy - Win 50 online battles

Solution - Boost with a partner alternating wins and losses

4) Trophy - Earn $50,000,000 in game currency

Solution - Have a modder spawn millions in cash for you to pick up.

5) Trophy - Obtain an item that is guarded by the games hardest optional boss

Solution - Crouch/Jump into a certain portion of the wall that allows you to bypass the boss completely.

Nothing is black and white, and the definition of what is cheating varies from person to person. I believe there is a limit where everyone agrees there is "the line" and is absolutely considered cheating such as number 4. However, there are people that would say all 5 are cheating. In my opinion, using a glitch to benefit yourself in game and earn a trophy is not considered cheating. The game was designed a certain way and a glitch can just as easily make trophies harder or impossible as well.

No, no and no.

Hacking, Glitching or using bug exploitations is paradoxical to the purpose of achieving trophies. What do you gain by unlocking one instead of earning it properly?

I see it on Steam a lot now too. Users with 300+ perfect games with near 100% completion ratio and identical timestamps.

Completely pointless 

• Like 1