Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

Deathon6

Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?   

420 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

• I have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy.
    • Yes I have cheated in one way or another.
  2. 2. Have you ever used mods or have ever asked a modder to unlock trophies for you.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever used a glitch or exploited a bug in the game to earn a trophy?

• Yes
    • No

Yes. Yes. Yes.

1. Using trophy guides, cheats/codes and boosting are technically cheating so yep. My Naruto UNS2 titles were me and a PSN buddy passing wins for 100 matches (though we did do the first 5 matches legit for bragging rights -- I lost 2-3...). Minecraft also, I guess, since I shared a world with myself.

2. Picked up infinite fire AKs during multiplayer on Dead Island. I hated every second of the game (hate FPSs), but I accidently unlocked a trophy so I had to complete it. In hindsight, I'm glad I rented it & ran over the disc with my car 1 or 17 times... wish the disc would've cracked.

3. Glitched the Energy Cycle ones & accidentally glitched the 2 Arkham Origins ones. I also used the greatest glitch on Slyde: just paused , played back the captured video and wrote down the moves.

Edited by MySenkai
Typo

11 hours ago, djb5f said:

Technically most here have cheated by boosting, trading kills in multiplayer, etc.

i’d say a large percentage boosting sessions could be argued as cheating as they aren’t the way the games are intended to be played.

I agree, in it's purist definition this is cheating. I completely agree with this line of thinking when there is an active gamer population for a title. 

HOWEVER when you pop in a game and the MP is dead should a gamer sacrifice their ability to unlock trophies due to low/non existent populations? Fuck that.

As someone who has played his share of MP I fucking hate boosting but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

• Like 2

An oscillating fan and a turbo controller earned my 30k enemy kill battle trophies for Edge and Arumat in SO4.  Made up for all that time I lost with the game crashing in the Wandering Dungeon while grinding other battle trophies.

Used the alteration magic glitch in Skyrim to boost levels quickly and earn all perks in a short amount of time.  One of the few times grinding could be minimized.

If I want to cheat, that is what Steam is for (single player only).  To play as many games as possible and eliminating the grinding or to play some mods.

Edited by hunterseekeralgo
Added additional comments

3 hours ago, I need more BIOSHOCK said:

No

No

Yes

I've used a few in game expoloits and glitches to get some trophies, and I've boosted the hell out of lots of games because FUCK online trophies!

Amen! (To your last 3 words)

• Like 1

1) Yes

While I'm not proud of it, I'm not ashamed either. I played through most of the Destroy All Humans! with cheats on, since the game was really boring and frustrating. I remember playing demo on PS2 and it was unironically best part of the game. There was even a trophy where you had to play with cheat on, so... ? Other than that, I don't really recall any other game, maybe because cheats aren't really a thing these days. Not counting boosting of course.

2) No

...and I frown upon those who do. Cheats are part of the game and devs can disable trophies if cheats are on if they want, mods are not. If you encounter modder online "accidentaly" and use his weapon like MySenkai said for example, that's not that bad I guess, but still.

3) Yes

I have no problem with this. Last time I exploited bug big time was God of War III Remaster, I completely skipped the difficulty trophy, but since I already plat'd original GoW3 legit, I think this one gets a pass. Planning to "skip" Bioshock Remaster the same way, I think I finished it on PC as well. I'm also big fan of uploading saves in games with permadeath, that's pure bullshit imo. Same as cheats, it's part of the game, so I don't really see why shouldn't I use them if the game is not fun.

Edited by czDante92

To me, glitches aren't necessarily cheats. They can be, I suppose, but this whole "playing the game the way it was meant to be played" thing is a very grey area. For example, in Uncharted 1, there's a section called the blue room that is extremely difficult to beat on Crushing/Brutal. I remember using a glitch that prevents enemy spawns in that room, and I happily took advantage of it. Is that cheating? Probably. But also in Uncharted 1, you can peek around corners and shoot at enemies without them being able to shoot back at you. Now, is that how the game was intended to be played? Probably not (since I'm pretty sure they fixed that in future games), but is it cheating? In games against the AI, you're CONSTANTLY trying to take advantage of your environment to get the upper hand. At what point do you constitute something as a glitch or bug instead of a feature?

I also don't see how boosting is cheating. Again, I think it could be, but you're generally encouraged to work together in MP games to achieve some sort of objective, and I don't see how trophies are any different. For example, if there's a trophy for killing 10k opponents, and your buddy lets you shoot him in the head over and over again until you get it, is that really any different than killing a bunch of rabbits or mice in a game against the AI that also requires you to kill 10k enemies? In both cases, aren't you simply taking advantage in an oversight on the developer's part?

Not saying that it's right, but I think just about everybody who plays video game has "cheated" by somebody's definition.

I have never cheated or asked a modder to unlock trophies, but I did use a glitch to earn the Shopaholic trophy in Tomb Raider. I'm also seriously considering using the debug mode to get at least some of the trophies in Jak II. I earned the plat in the first Jak legit, but I have no interest to continue the second one and I'd like to just get it done.

12 hours ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

Yes, I've cheated to earn trophies. I use trophy guides, boosting sessions and in game exploits to help me get trophies. I also watch YouTube videos to help me get trophies and I copy what the person did in the video. However, I've never used illegal software to help me get any trophies.

I second that. Well put.

After reading some of the posts here I’m guessing I’m a “cheater accomplice” as well? Cuz I’ve helped close friends/family with trophies via SharePlay many times.

2 hours ago, Bos10George said:

Here are some games/scenarios that are up for debate on if its cheating or not. 

1) Trophy - Play for 100 hours.

Solution - Fast forward the game clock 100 hours.

2) Trophies - Do X, Y, and Z.

Solution - Buy the trophies using in-game currency (Nier Automata).

3) Trophy - Win 50 online battles

Solution - Boost with a partner alternating wins and losses

4) Trophy - Earn $50,000,000 in game currency

Solution - Have a modder spawn millions in cash for you to pick up.

5) Trophy - Obtain an item that is guarded by the games hardest optional boss

Solution - Crouch/Jump into a certain portion of the wall that allows you to bypass the boss completely.

Nothing is black and white, and the definition of what is cheating varies from person to person. I believe there is a limit where everyone agrees there is "the line" and is absolutely considered cheating such as number 4. However, there are people that would say all 5 are cheating. In my opinion, using a glitch to benefit yourself in game and earn a trophy is not considered cheating. The game was designed a certain way and a glitch can just as easily make trophies harder or impossible as well.

These are pretty black and white, actually.

1-  Gameplay time doesn't work like that, but you can leave the game idle overnight. It's not cheating because you are not using any unauthorized device or mod to do it.

2- The game itself is giving you the option to buy its trophies. It's not cheating because you are not using any unauthorized device or mod to do it.

3- Unless the ToS of the game say anything against trading wins it is fine. It's not cheating because you are not using any external device or mod to do it (no, finding a partner using the sessions is not considered "an unauthorized device")

4- The other player is using a mod, so it is cheating.

5- You are taking advantage of an oversight by the developers, something that is in the game by default. It's not cheating because you are not using any unauthorized device or mod to do it.

See? It is pretty clear to me.

Edited by AndresLionheart
  • Like 2

If everyone is cheating to get the speed run trophies in UC series for example, why wouldn't I do the same too ? Why others earn it easily and I make it hard on myself ? But I'll tell you when I do it I'm actually not happy, because there's no longer a sense of challenge.

Using debug mode in Jak series, on the other hand, is going too far from just using exploits and glitches .. it's like hacking the trophies, so I would never do that.

if this includes the broad spectrum from boosting to glitches, yes...yes, but never to unlock trophies on a public account...yes, certainly have...

have no violations with regards to the rules of unlocking trophies that apply to psnp leaderboards so all is well...playing by the same rules as everyone else here = not cheating as far as I'm concerned...disagree?...all good...

Edited by ProfBambam55

In my view, using a bug/exploit in the game isn't really cheating. It's the developers own fault for not patching it if they wanted to keep people from earning the stuff, and some bugs are just hilarious. I know in Rogue Warrior you can unlock the trophy for not dying in a single player mission just by playing a multiplayer match (seriously how does that happen), and in Batman Arkham Origins you can accidentally unlock trophies for a DLC you don't even own. In my experience, exploits like these usually only prevent frustration anyway.

I used an invincibility glitch to beat God of War 3 on the hardest difficulty, along with Black Ops 3's combat simulator on realistic difficulty. That's about the only cheating I can think of that I've done.

Although, if someone finds a glitch to do Wolfenstien 2's "Mein Lebin" I will use that without a second thought. Fuck that trophy

5 minutes ago, palmersib said:

Would people consider cloud syncing as cheating?

If people consider that as cheating then I guess I have as I did it with Sound Shapes just like everyone else did with the game.

If not then no I've never cheated to get trophies

Nope or I wouldn't think so. No outer party helped you and cloud saving is not only a feature of the game, it was one of it's main selling points. It is also not a glitch since it is by design.

10 hours ago, Max_Playne said:

Pretty ironic on OP's part to ask such questions when just yesterday he almost begged for anyone to send him a save file of twisted metal with warthog already unlocked to his email....

At some point I did see him say he did get someones save and also said he would mod to get it too,

I beat Uncharted 1 crushing mode using the glitches....and it's honestly some of the most fun I've had, seeing how you can force your character to go places they weren't meant to and bypassing huge chunks of frustration. I loved it. 

1. It's a single player game

2. Trophies are my own measure of progress. I'm not competing with anyone.

3. Seriously who cares. It wasn't even on this profile I'm using currently but if I do play the game again, you bet your butt I'm doing those glitches again.

On one of my old profiles I did use saves I found online for Drakengard 3 and Minecraft, but I felt so bad about it after because I was going for completion but it wasn't my completion and it's one of the reasons I gave up on that profile. My current profile is legit, only in game glitches and boosting are acceptable to me now. 

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever cheated, mainly because I've the games I've played so far didn't have a bug/ way to cheat/ were already patched, except maybe Nier Automata where I just bought all the remaining trophies from the trophy shop as I couldn't be bothered to earn it the legit way. I used to cheat a lot with action replays and exploit all the glitches in the old pokemon games but those aren't PS anyway. 

I have done various things to make the trophies easier, like tying rubber band to earn those "walk a x~thousand steps".

Auto leveling with the Jelly's in FFXII is probably the biggest "cheat" I've done that I can remember. 

2 hours ago, NightRusticDawn said:

You can't be a member on PSNP if you haven't at least cheated some of the trophies you've gotten.

Every game ever, nothing but hacks and cheats! :)

So I guess you can't be legit unless you earned every multiplayer trophy the 'normal' way (which is usually when the game comes out), used no exploits whatsoever (Jak 2 and Jak 3 come to mind with their orbs) and you haven't asked any friends to help you online.

Okay. I guess we're all cheaters in some respect or another.

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I don't think I've ever cheated, mainly because I've the games I've played so far didn't have a bug/ way to cheat/ were already patched, except maybe Nier Automata where I just bought all the remaining trophies from the trophy shop as I couldn't be bothered to earn it the legit way. I used to cheat a lot with action replays and exploit all the glitches in the old pokemon games but those aren't PS anyway. 

I have done various things to make the trophies easier, like tying rubber band to earn those "walk a x~thousand steps".

Auto leveling with the Jelly's in FFXII is probably the biggest "cheat" I've done that I can remember. 

Using a cheat code to get a trophy is debatable in terms of what people think is outright cheating.

When I was growing up in the 1990s and early 2000s I used a number of cheats just to have fun, usually after I beat the game. The old Turok games on the Nintendo 64 for instance, I don't remember if Goldeneye 007 had any particular cheats but that game was so fun to play I didn't mind playing it on hard difficulty (007 mode) anyway.

The rubber band trick I used for Mafia II's Explorer trophy (drive 1000 miles in a DLC pack) and obtaining the one million bolts in the original Ratchet and Clank (glitching the environment and standing in a particular spot on a racetrack). Most of everyone used the orb glitch in both Jak 2 and Jak 3 because obtaining those orbs back on the Playstation 2 was extremely difficult as far as I remember.

Cheating to me is hacking the trophies, using the USB save trick to auto pop trophies and paying someone on a trophy service to obtain a trophy for you. In one of the Final Fantasy games there is a trophy for dodging lightning for hundreds of times or whatever number it is, I'm sure most people would take advantage of an exploit if there was one to make that a lot easier to get.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

So I guess you can't be legit unless you earned every multiplayer trophy the 'normal' way (which is usually when the game comes out), used no exploits whatsoever (Jak 2 and Jak 3 come to mind with their orbs) and you haven't asked any friends to help you online.

Okay. I guess we're all cheaters in some respect or another.

I wasn't that serious in my post ;)

To be completely honest I don't know what you mean with "normal" anyway, not everyone play online/offline games the same way or in an identical fashion to someone else.

Legit is a bad word too, what does it mean really? Something some bad youtubers and trophy hunters from the olden days made up to stand above the rest in an elitist fascist way.

(Yes I know, Facists lol.) Not that I haven't uttered the phrase now and again, only to know that it's probably the stupidest thing one can say.

Everything in this thread comes down to definition; What does Cheating mean, it certainly is not the same on PSNP as on other gaming sites. That was my original stab at it.

giphy.gif

As long you are not using someone elses progress (you downloaded or bought) or that you used third party software or hacking tools. Every trophy should be considered "legit"

PSNP consider playing with friends cheating and something that is reportable but I don't know about you, I would like nothing else then to keep playing video games with people I like.

Keep that in mind the next time you play Borderlands 2 with someone on the couch, as long as you do record everything, keep files of both audio and video recordings. Having a selected member or priesthood sit and watch you play it; Then you should be safe but if not then sadly you are cheating and hacking. Sorry MMDE and Sly but your rules here is are bullox :D

Boosting is also the worst term ever made up too from this site and the trophy community, trying to explain it to someone you know that does not go for trophies

and the only thing you can compare it too is how prostitution works in real life lol "You are using people you don't know for personal satisfaction" Derp.

7bGg.gif

Just make sure your boosting partner is tested for not being flagged and is approved by the mods! DERP.

TL:DR Not serious. Maybe.

• Like 3