Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

Deathon6

Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?   

420 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

• I have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy.
    • Yes I have cheated in one way or another.
  2. 2. Have you ever used mods or have ever asked a modder to unlock trophies for you.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever used a glitch or exploited a bug in the game to earn a trophy?

• Yes
    • No

21 minutes ago, NightRusticDawn said:

I wasn't that serious in my post ;)

To be completely honest I don't know what you mean with "normal" anyway, not everyone play online/offline games the same way or in an identical fashion to someone else.

Legit is a bad word too, what does it mean really? Something some bad youtubers and trophy hunters from the olden days made up to stand above the rest in an elitist fascist way.

(Yes I know, Facists lol.) Not that I haven't uttered the phrase now and again, only to know that it's probably the stupidest thing one can say.

I referred to normal to getting multiplayer trophies without any boosting, usually depending on randoms who aren't into trophies anyway.

Legit is playing the game the way it was intended without using exploits. For example most people including myself used an exploit to play through the remastered Uncharted games on the PS4 on Brutal difficulty. Brutal difficulty is a very difficult and extremely frustrating mode where enemies can two shot you in an instant who have dead on sniper accuracy, regardless of what weapon they're using.

Having a difficulty that is extremely unfair was something that I think Bluepoint Games just shoehorned in, since neither Uncharted 4: A Thief's End nor The Lost Legacy have a Brutal difficulty.

Nobody plays games in the exact same fashion as someone else does. But I think people are taking the whole boosting thing far too seriously, because you still have to earn those trophies yourself. And that is pretty much a necessity as these older Playstation 3 and Vita games are all having their online servers gradually shut down.

27 minutes ago, NightRusticDawn said:

As long you are not using someone elses progress (you downloaded or bought) or that you used third party software or hacking tools. Every trophy should be considered "legit"

Hacking, modding and outright using tricks like the USB save method to autopop trophies shouldn't be allowed at all. Games are much more fun and immersive when you experience them for yourself and get your money's worth. Using cheating to get trophies in very quick succession isn't good in any form.

One may argue getting a bunch of trophies as you would by transferring saves from one version to another for both Sound Shapes and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time isn't legit to begin with. Most games you have to earn trophies normally even if you're going to stack, but I haven't been here long enough to remember when Sound Shapes first came out and people started autopopping those trophies. That was six years ago, and we're at the point where nobody really cares as long as you got those trophies fairly the first time, then autopopped on the other platforms and regions.

31 minutes ago, NightRusticDawn said:

Just make sure your boosting partner is tested for not being flagged and is approved by the mods! DERP.

Unfortunately it's possible to get flagged on games like Call of Duty: World of War because from what I've read a lot of modders dominate the online. This is a problem I've seen with a lot of older games that still have functional servers as most of the players who played the online have long moved on from them.

I don't know if you can still get flagged for getting the Run Like the Wind trophy in GTA V, since Rockstar removed the ability to place a bounty on another player in the PS3 version around a year ago. If you still do, that's a shame, because you have to hide that game from your profile if you want to be ranked on the leaderboards.

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I referred to normal to getting multiplayer trophies without any boosting, usually depending on randoms who aren't into trophies anyway.

Legit is playing the game the way it was intended without using exploits. For example most people including myself used an exploit to play through the remastered Uncharted games on the PS4 on Brutal difficulty. Brutal difficulty is a very difficult and extremely frustrating mode where enemies can two shot you in an instant who have dead on sniper accuracy, regardless of what weapon they're using.

Having a difficulty that is extremely unfair was something that I think Bluepoint Games just shoehorned in, since neither Uncharted 4: A Thief's End nor The Lost Legacy have a Brutal difficulty.

Nobody plays games in the exact same fashion as someone else does. But I think people are taking the whole boosting thing far too seriously, because you still have to earn those trophies yourself. And that is pretty much a necessity as these older Playstation 3 and Vita games are all having their online servers gradually shut down.

Hacking, modding and outright using tricks like the USB save method to autopop trophies shouldn't be allowed at all. Games are much more fun and immersive when you experience them for yourself and get your money's worth. Using cheating to get trophies in very quick succession isn't good in any form.

One may argue getting a bunch of trophies as you would by transferring saves from one version to another for both Sound Shapes and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time isn't legit to begin with. Most games you have to earn trophies normally even if you're going to stack, but I haven't been here long enough to remember when Sound Shapes first came out and people started autopopping those trophies. That was six years ago, and we're at the point where nobody really cares as long as you got those trophies fairly the first time, then autopopped on the other platforms and regions.

Unfortunately it's possible to get flagged on games like Call of Duty: World of War because from what I've read a lot of modders dominate the online. This is a problem I've seen with a lot of older games that still have functional servers as most of the players who played the online have long moved on from them.

I don't know if you can still get flagged for getting the Run Like the Wind trophy in GTA V, since Rockstar removed the ability to place a bounty on another player in the PS3 version around a year ago. If you still do, that's a shame, because you have to hide that game from your profile if you want to be ranked on the leaderboards.

I think you took my post a little to much literal with the "?"'s lol, it was just there to make one think and question the stupidity of trophies and the "rules" people have put in place.

The only rule that should apply is "As long as YOU did the accomplishment/requirement in a game while playing alone or with a friend" but we are not even close to that anymore.

I don't completely disagree with you but:

tumblr_nhw0ecSEAe1rx3q30o1_500.gif

Everyone is a hacker, cheater and uses every short-cut imaginable to get some haphazard notification on the screen. By definition of the "rules".

In regards to the Boosting thing; Why do we even call each other something so demeaning as that, really? Why not make friends and play games with people online.

Nah put a label on someone just to get instantaneous satisfaction.

This thread will get me in trouble as I'm thinking outside the box, Runaway!

tenor.gif?itemid=4781322

52 minutes ago, NightRusticDawn said:

In regards to the Boosting thing; Why do we even call each other something so demeaning as that, really? Why not make friends and play games with people online.

Nah put a label on someone just to get instantaneous satisfaction.

How is the word "boosting" so demeaning?

There is nothing offensive about that name.

And the fact is a lot of people who boost play with their friends online.

21 hours ago, The Titan said:

Cheater- Someone who doesn't play fair or doesn't earn the trophy on how it was meant to be done. An example: Beat Wolfenstien Old Blood final level on uber  to unlock the uber trophy. It's a glitch. That's cheating. Yes I know it's not the players fault for there being a glitch, but if the player doesn't care and just wants to get the trophy, he can just earn it without having to beat the entire game on uber. 

yeah but I'm not so sure the Wolfenstein Uber difficulty thing is a glitch.  It was never patched and it was available from day one.  Also, you could do the same thing in both of the games old blood and New Order.  Technically saying to beat the game on Uber Difficulty could mean to beat the final level or boss in the eyes of the developer and maybe that was how it was intended.  Either way everyone had the same advantage so to speak so I don't view it as cheating.  I'm not even positive it was playing the game in a manner unattended because if it wasn't meant to be that way why would they make both games the same way?  In most, but not all cases, if you can beat the final chapter/mission/boss on the hardest difficulty you should be able to beat them all.

• Like 1

I think the context of "cheating" is too broad in this discussion.  

Technically, if you are viewing secret trophies when you look at trophy lists, you're cheating.  If we're going to say that is just as bad as someone that hacks/mods their trophies, I think that is unreasonable.

I'm of the school of thought that: guides, youtube videos, boosting sessions, second controls, etc. are not cheating.  In those scenarios, you're simply robbing yourself of some of the fun that the game offered.  I've played games where I've legitimately earned the online trophies and there have been games that I boosted the online trophies due to poor servers, or just not really liking the online experience.  I don't feel more proud of one method over the other.  However, I tended to have more fun when I wasn't boosting.  As soon as I stop having fun with a game, I'll look to boost.  An example is Arkham Origins.  I have all of the online trophies but two.  I have earned them all by playing through the multiplayer as I really enjoyed it.  Now, the servers are pretty dead and my only hope of platinuming that game is going to be through boosting.  I can tell you now, it won't feel like cheating.

People that have others play for them, use hacks/mods and other player's save files make no sense to me.  I don't see the fun in that.  I think when you eliminate your participation in the game, that is when you've crossed over into the cheating realm.  Ultimately, doesn't matter though.  They are the ones that are buying games and not playing them.

Edited by JaneAusten69
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JaneAusten69 said:

Technically, if you are viewing secret trophies when you look at trophy lists, you're cheating.  If we're going to say that is just as bad as someone that hacks/mods their trophies, I think that is unreasonable.

This makes no logical sense at all.

When it comes to story related trophies I don't spoil myself the experience of seeing the ending ahead of time. I play a story from beginning to end and depending on how it went, I either liked it or didn't like it.

How exactly are you cheating by looking at a miscellanous and/or random trophy that is a secret trophy?

If you classify looking at secret trophies as cheating then you may as well consider those who use walkthroughs to cheat. Because both can spoil the game and the experience you may have, in fact I used a walkthrough to get through some Legend of Zelda games and that made the journey a lot less immersive.

Plus, I don't think people would have as high of completion percentages on their trophy profiles if they didn't look at secret trophies.

13 minutes ago, JaneAusten69 said:

I'm of the school of thought that: guides, youtube videos, boosting sessions, second controls, etc. are not cheating.  In those scenarios, you're simply robbing yourself of some of the fun that the game offered.  I've played games where I've legitimately earned the online trophies and there have been games that I boosted the online trophies due to poor servers, or just not really liking the online experience.  I don't feel more proud of one method over the other.  However, I tended to have more fun when I wasn't boosting.  As soon as I stop having fun with a game, I'll look to boost.  An example is Arkham Origins.  I have all of the online trophies but two.  I have earned them all by playing through the multiplayer as I really enjoyed it.  Now, the servers are pretty dead and my only hope of platinuming that game is going to be through boosting.  I can tell you now, it won't feel like cheating.

People have used guides and Youtube videos for a long time. I myself have used both PowerPyx and Brian's (PS4Trophies) videos to help me obtain some trophies I was having trouble getting. You can argue that yes, you may rob yourself of the fun the game offered but then again, walkthroughs have been around since forever and from my experience they tend to ruin much of the story and immersion you may of had if you didn't consort a walkthrough.

57 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

No to all 3.

As for using a glitch... like I said, no, but I'm not going to judge anyone who does- because it's in the game.  The developers are responsible for the glitch, not some hacker/modder.  I'll just say it wouldn't be as satisfying as taking down that optional boss guarding the item.

There's a game called "Red Dead Redemption (RDR)" I assume many of you have probably heard about it? Perhaps maybe even played and have it platinumed? 

It's said the reason there are people on the ground that you can shoot and get 2 xp per second is because someone hacked the game. So anyone who ever got to level 50 in 10 minutes on RDR has used a glitch that was made possible by a hacker. 

I also assume many of you are going to say it's the developers fault for not fixing their game and because it's the developers fault for not fixing it then it's not considered cheating. 

Back in the era of offline gaming many use to call using a game guide or walkthrough classed as cheating... So using a trophy guide would be classed as cheating or watching a video guide for a certain setup would be classed as cheating :D

Edited by fisty123

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

This makes no logical sense at all.

When it comes to story related trophies I don't spoil myself the experience of seeing the ending ahead of time. I play a story from beginning to end and depending on how it went, I either liked it or didn't like it.

How exactly are you cheating by looking at a miscellanous and/or random trophy that is a secret trophy?

If you classify looking at secret trophies as cheating then you may as well consider those who use walkthroughs to cheat. Because both can spoil the game and the experience you may have, in fact I used a walkthrough to get through some Legend of Zelda games and that made the journey a lot less immersive.

Plus, I don't think people would have as high of completion percentages on their trophy profiles if they didn't look at secret trophies.

People have used guides and Youtube videos for a long time. I myself have used both PowerPyx and Brian's (PS4Trophies) videos to help me obtain some trophies I was having trouble getting. You can argue that yes, you may rob yourself of the fun the game offered but then again, walkthroughs have been around since forever and from my experience they tend to ruin much of the story and immersion you may of had if you didn't consort a walkthrough.

I don't think we disagree at all.  I think maybe you just misunderstood my sentiment.  All I was saying is that people are being too broad with what they are declaring as cheating.  

As for guides and walkthroughs, I use them all the time.  I think they just reduce the amount of fun that you could have with a game.  Personally, I just don't have the amount of free time I had as a kid, where I would spend countless hours on every game finding every secret.  

Edited by JaneAusten69

2 hours ago, Deathon6 said:

It's said the reason there are people on the ground that you can shoot and get 2 xp per second is because someone hacked the game. So anyone who ever got to level 50 in 10 minutes on RDR has used a glitch that was made possible by a hacker. 

Now that would cross the line into cheating, because it's a 3rd party hack instead of a glitch.  I haven't played RDR, but this is one thing I would not do.

Take the leaderboards on Time Crisis: Razing Storm (video from 2014) where some clearly illegitimate scores have shown up in arcade mode.  All the 8-figure scores in ranks 1-9 on arcade aren't right- WILD_LOSE should be in 1st, not 10th.  I can't see anyone scoring much higher than WL's 4.46M unless they cheat.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, The Titan said:

Cheater- Someone who doesn't play fair or doesn't earn the trophy on how it was meant to be done. An example: Beat Wolfenstien Old Blood final level on uber  to unlock the uber trophy. It's a glitch. That's cheating. Yes I know it's not the players fault for there being a glitch, but if the player doesn't care and just wants to get the trophy, he can just earn it without having to beat the entire game on uber. 

Wait wait wait... You could do that? Oh well, it wasn't hard anyway. The hard part were the challenges.

It is cheating to boost multiplayer trophies and to use a glitch that makes something incredibly simple and goes against what was intended on the game. But these are things that developers of the game should have made sure to test and avoid happening. If it's still within the game environment and anyone with that copy of the game can do it without someone else's save files or modding, they aren't doing anything wrong. A trophy like "earn 10,000 kills in multiplayer" is the same trophy on a profile that got those 10,000 kills against random players in public matches without boosting and a profile that boosted the entire trophy from start to finish. When you do a glitch or boost a game, you're still fulfilling the requirements that the game expects and the game awards you with the trophy upon doing that, but when you use another person's save file you skip ahead to the point that the trophy unlocks without performing any of the method required to acquire the trophy in the game environment. 

I'll say it would be insufficient evidence to convict people if they did vote "Yes" to everything and the voters were visible, as some people have probably clicked "Yes" to everything just to troll the poll results without actually having done any of these things. But pretty much every trophy hunter who has their fair share of platinums has used one of the things mentioned in this poll. I personally will glitch or boost trophies if that's an option and saves time, but I won't use another person's save file to acquire the trophy. I do believe joining a modded lobby with the public search option shouldn't be something people are condemned for, but I've not done that myself and I hope if it ever comes to PS4 I'm not unlucky enough to find myself in one of those lobbies. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

How is the word "boosting" so demeaning?

There is nothing offensive about that name.

And the fact is a lot of people who boost play with their friends online.

They are not your friends. They are people you play games with online.

Five years from now, you won't remember their names.

Normally people don't say "Let's boost BF3 online", people say "Hey you wanna play something?"

Trophy Hunters are so jaded and indoctrinated.

f5e0e3a27dd23612ec36a37afc87394c.gif

well, this thread has certainly become interesting with the idea of "what do you consider as cheating in video games?"...i think if we look at video game history and gamers' philosophy they have evolved a lot over time and particularly with the innovation of online play and technology, the appearance of trophy tracking sites like this that try to display a reasonable version of stats/leaderboards, and the ability to share all kinds of tips, tricks, and thoughts...

yes, there are many types of people that play games in a variety of manners, with a variety of ideologies on what is considered satisfying...i think psnp does its best to apply a set of rules that respects and covers what a majority of players consider to be fair...the main concept seems to be that allowing timestamps that most, if not all, of us can achieve with as little outside software/hardware use as possible is completely reasonable...i think the site does its best to not dictate how or why we should play what we play...it's fine to disagree with the leaderboard rules, suggest alternatives/modifications or to take their numbers more or less seriously...i think it's fun to share differing opinions but, in the end, that it's important to also recognize that the stats and layout here do in fact represent what a majority of us want in combination with what the site owner deems inclusive, fair, and possible...i like that we often question the boundaries in threads like these as they can sometimes lead to change...

not so much a post about the topic at hand...this thread has been somewhat thought-provoking and reminded me of why I like psnprofiles and the community here and felt a need to voice my appreciation...cheers...

Edited by ProfBambam55

On 10/8/2018 at 7:54 PM, fisty123 said:

Back in the era of offline gaming many use to call using a game guide or walkthrough classed as cheating... So using a trophy guide would be classed as cheating or watching a video guide for a certain setup would be classed as cheating :D

Wasn't that simple either. Being a Nintendo kid I usually had to consort Nintendo Power for hints and help.

GameFAQs was the first website to really put out gaming walkthroughs for games, and since then I've relied mostly on guides and walkthroughs to get me through parts I am having stuck on.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:04 PM, JaneAusten69 said:

I don't think we disagree at all.  I think maybe you just misunderstood my sentiment.  All I was saying is that people are being too broad with what they are declaring as cheating.  

As for guides and walkthroughs, I use them all the time.  I think they just reduce the amount of fun that you could have with a game.  Personally, I just don't have the amount of free time I had as a kid, where I would spend countless hours on every game finding every secret.  

What I said was looking at secret trophies isn't cheating. Unless they're story related I don't see any reason to not just look them up anyway if you're going to go for the platinum.

Yeah I mean, that's probably true, but if you're somewhat of a completionist like myself it is nearly impossible to play through most games these days without consorting a walkthrough or guide of some kind because of all the missables.

The games that were around when I was growing up were a lot more basic and simple, today those games would be considered low budget indie titles in this age of Spider-Man and Assassins Creed Odyssey where it's pretty much essential to follow a guide.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:53 PM, ryan32289 said:

Lol might as well consider the whole site of PSNProfiles cheating because of the forums, gaming sessions, guides, etc. If it weren't for those things, the plat rarity for a lot of games would go down drastically guaranteed.

There's a reason why PSN has very low percentage rates while this website has rates much higher.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:24 AM, Sergen said:

It is cheating to boost multiplayer trophies and to use a glitch that makes something incredibly simple and goes against what was intended on the game. But these are things that developers of the game should have made sure to test and avoid happening. If it's still within the game environment and anyone with that copy of the game can do it without someone else's save files or modding, they aren't doing anything wrong. A trophy like "earn 10,000 kills in multiplayer" is the same trophy on a profile that got those 10,000 kills against random players in public matches without boosting and a profile that boosted the entire trophy from start to finish. When you do a glitch or boost a game, you're still fulfilling the requirements that the game expects and the game awards you with the trophy upon doing that, but when you use another person's save file you skip ahead to the point that the trophy unlocks without performing any of the method required to acquire the trophy in the game environment. 

I'll say it would be insufficient evidence to convict people if they did vote "Yes" to everything and the voters were visible, as some people have probably clicked "Yes" to everything just to troll the poll results without actually having done any of these things. But pretty much every trophy hunter who has their fair share of platinums has used one of the things mentioned in this poll. I personally will glitch or boost trophies if that's an option and saves time, but I won't use another person's save file to acquire the trophy. I do believe joining a modded lobby with the public search option shouldn't be something people are condemned for, but I've not done that myself and I hope if it ever comes to PS4 I'm not unlucky enough to find myself in one of those lobbies. 

You are being far too technical and analytical here.

Exploits and glitches have been around since forever, and usually the fault lies at the developers who didn't bother to patch them.

Most casual players wouldn't ever bother with killing 10,000 players in multiplayer so boosting is pretty much essential to getting those kind of trophies in a timely manner. Using another person's save file, using the USB save trick to autopop trophies or paying someone on a trophy service website to earn a trophy or platinum for you is outright cheating. Those people deserve to be flagged and removed from the leaderboards.

It's debatable whether someone who got a trophy from a modded lobby or server should be flagged. That's why Grand Theft Auto V for the PS3 is often mentioned because Rockstar removed the ability to put a bounty on another player. Modders can do it, so for those people who do earn the trophy even long after the fact it was removed, should they be flagged? Call of Duty: World at War from what I've heard has modders on there too, but I wouldn't bother with either game at this point if the situation comes down to that.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:25 AM, NightRusticDawn said:

They are not your friends. They are people you play games with online.

Five years from now, you won't remember their names.

Normally people don't say "Let's boost BF3 online", people say "Hey you wanna play something?"

Trophy Hunters are so jaded and indoctrinated.

That's pretty much every single person you will meet outside of a few friends I have in real life who play on the PS4 on occasion.

This argument was dead from the word go. I'm just going to drop this conversation with you because you clearly didn't understand the point I was bringing up.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

That's pretty much every single person you will meet outside of a few friends I have in real life who play on the PS4 on occasion.

This argument was dead from the word go. I'm just going to drop this conversation with you because you clearly didn't understand the point I was bringing up.

I understood the point but it made no sense and added nothing of value to your first point, you pointed out the same thing twice : )

I made the argument that most terms and concept of trophy hunting with rules and the community is/can be "bullox", you explained what they where and what you thought of them. I got it!

2 minutes ago, NightRusticDawn said:

I understood the point but it made no sense and added nothing of value to your first point, you pointed out the same thing twice : )

I made the argument that most terms and concept of trophy hunting with rules and the community is/can be "bullox", you explained what they where and what you thought of them. I got it!

I get it, I take things far too literally at times.

I don't agree with the rules all the time either.

• Like 1

if we count bugs and exploits like in borderlands 2 with sal's gunzerking where you can use a rocket launcher in the right hand a slag pimp in the left as cheating yeah i've done it as i can't be arsed fighting cap scarlets raid bosses fair as screw em. hyperious is just wow this is like a constructor but worse and master gee is just a time sink of nothing theres zero skill needed on him. i also did the same for the 4 dragons of destruction but more so because i was farming gear from them.

All trophy hunters here in this site including me are in some way or another cheaters,for example going and watching in youtube or in sites explaining how to earn a trophy is cheating,its simple 

people that win trophies by not looking at videos and sites and discovering all by they self how to earn trophies THEY ARE NOT CHEATERS,

thats my opinion 

Squarevii87.png