Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

Deathon6

Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?   

420 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever cheated at a video game to earn a trophy?

• I have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy.
    • Yes I have cheated in one way or another.
  2. 2. Have you ever used mods or have ever asked a modder to unlock trophies for you.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever used a glitch or exploited a bug in the game to earn a trophy?

• Yes
    • No

On 10/8/2018 at 8:46 PM, JaneAusten69 said:

I'm of the school of thought that: guides, youtube videos, boosting sessions, second controls, etc. are not cheating.  In those scenarios, you're simply robbing yourself of some of the fun that the game offered.

I think when you eliminate your participation in the game, that is when you've crossed over into the cheating realm.

Keeping the relevant parts.

Using guides and videos are eliminating your participation in the game for however long you use them. Otherwise, you'd solve whatever issue the game presented you with by yourself. Sure, how much your participation is removed depends on the game and genre, but when you're no longer looking for collectables, found a way to beat the boss/level you're stuck on, or any of that, you're meeting the definition of what you consider cheating.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:34 PM, Spaz said:

Lengthy response

I will say that boosting and glitching are cheating, because they allow people to do things that were not intended in-game. I'd say they're forms of acceptable cheating, because they are only done in the game environment without use of external tools or another person's save file. I think if a person can use the public search function on a game to randomly be put in a lobby with modders without doing anything to their save file or console, they shouldn't be flagged because it can happen to anyone who has a copy of that game who wants to play the game online. 

17 hours ago, Midnightwards666 said:

Cheating is a hard word to define. I've never used mods. I do occasionally use exploits if they mean a trophy will require less effort and time, but I don't use them if they completely detract from the gameplay.

That's the whole problem with threads like this. The definition is fluid, and is generally motivated by whatever the OP hopes to convey.

In order to cheat, you must first have an agreed-upon standard. The rules of PSNP are one such standard. The OPs ethics are another. The problem is that the OP wants to conflate the two, and expects everyone to agree with the joining.

I boosted King of the Hill in SHIFT 2.

I did have my follower pick up stuff for me a lot in the beginning of Skyrim to bypass carry limits. And reloaded my save frequently of my horse or an NPC I liked died to a random attack. And there was a glitch that wiped the stolen tag I used on a few things after getting hit with a bug that marked them as stolen when they weren't. Pretty sure those are the only glitches I used though. (Did discover a weird item duplication glitch too but didn't pick up any of the duplicated things after the first time when I realized that's what had happened). Nothing directly tied to a trophy. 

I have also reloaded saves to get the both ending trophies at one go, or looked up solutions in puzzle games when I got stuck and frustrated, and sometimes I have checked walk through to be more efficient at long things, but I am the one who did the actual work. 

Oh, and I did get someone to get a bronze qualifying run for me on one of the Trials in GT5, but only after I had unlocked it on his account by accident and then was unable to repeat the feat on mine. My time on his was still better than his time on mine. And a friend unlocked a trophy on Rocket League when I let her try it out but I would have gotten that one naturally eventually anyway, it was just a luck based thing. 

Pretty sure that's it. 

On 08/10/2018 at 10:33 PM, Spaz said:

Using a cheat code to get a trophy is debatable in terms of what people think is outright cheating.

When I was growing up in the 1990s and early 2000s I used a number of cheats just to have fun, usually after I beat the game. The old Turok games on the Nintendo 64 for instance, I don't remember if Goldeneye 007 had any particular cheats but that game was so fun to play I didn't mind playing it on hard difficulty (007 mode) anyway.

The rubber band trick I used for Mafia II's Explorer trophy (drive 1000 miles in a DLC pack) and obtaining the one million bolts in the original Ratchet and Clank (glitching the environment and standing in a particular spot on a racetrack). Most of everyone used the orb glitch in both Jak 2 and Jak 3 because obtaining those orbs back on the Playstation 2 was extremely difficult as far as I remember.

Cheating to me is hacking the trophies, using the USB save trick to auto pop trophies and paying someone on a trophy service to obtain a trophy for you. In one of the Final Fantasy games there is a trophy for dodging lightning for hundreds of times or whatever number it is, I'm sure most people would take advantage of an exploit if there was one to make that a lot easier to get.

FF games seem to have quite a few exploits to make the trophies easier.. In FFX there was a specific spot you just run around in circles to dodge the bolts, and in FFX-2s gunners gauntlet, there is a spot just by the waterfall where you can stand and infinitely shoot enemies without them ever seeing you, instead they just run past. FF12 had the auto leveling exploit. I've used these kinds of things, but never hacked trophies using USB save tricks and none of my games seem to have cheat codes like games often did in the nineties where literally everyone had an action replay or game shark. 

5 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

FF games seem to have quite a few exploits to make the trophies easier.. In FFX there was a specific spot you just run around in circles to dodge the bolts, and in FFX-2s gunners gauntlet, there is a spot just by the waterfall where you can stand and infinitely shoot enemies without them ever seeing you, instead they just run past. FF12 had the auto leveling exploit. I've used these kinds of things, but never hacked trophies using USB save tricks and none of my games seem to have cheat codes like games often did in the nineties where literally everyone had an action replay or game shark. 

Yeah.

The biggest problem I have with Final Fantasy is how long most of the games take. I don't like spending upwards of 100+ hours on games unless I really enjoy them. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is my favorite game this generation and probably one of the best RPGs of all time. Spent 133 hours on Witcher and loved every minute of it.

I definitely understand using exploits such as the one in Final Fantasy 12, because that cuts the time by several hours if not more.

Personally I don't know what to think about the debug exploit in the Jak and Daxter trilogy. That's not even an exploit in my opinion, that's just being handed trophies for literally no work. At least with the orb glitch you still had to beat the entire game (both Jak 2 and Jak 3), collect those Skull Gems naturally and go through some story missions that proved rather annoying. The debug option is completely safe on this website, you won't get flagged or anything. But I see people use that when they haven't even played the Jak games before, and I would say because of the debug menu they are some of the easiest platinums you're going to find.

May pick up Final Fantasy 7 at some point. I definitely wanted to grab Final Fantasy 15 but there is so much DLC for that game now it just feels a bit overwhelming.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:23 PM, Deathon6 said:

How many of you guys can honestly say that you have never cheated at a video game to earn a trophy? 

Unfortunately, I am not in that minority. I used the debug mode in Jak II and Jak 3 to get their platinums without playing the story... and I used the Assist Mode in Celeste to avoid having to do the platforming. (To be fair, though, the Jak 3 collectible trophies took a little longer than in Jak 2, and Assist Mode doesn't work in the PICO-8 version of Celeste so I had to bulldoze through some really crappy 8-bit platforming levels.) I also used the Broken Dagger glitch in Dark Cloud to get the best weapons without the long grinding for levels.

• 4 years later...

If boosting counts as cheating then yes multiple times to earn some difficult trophies for online competitive games. As for bugs or gliches maybe a couple. The one I remember for sure is Jak 2 which would have been a nightmare without the orb exploit.

No to cheating. 

Yes to using exploits and glitches. Some games have a terrible grind that takes many many hours to complete and I'm all for using exploits to lessen them, for example the bolt glitch in Ratchet and Clank (it would take multiple playthroughs otherwise wasting MANY HOURS of time) and the W-Item exploit in FF7.

I would never use exploits for challenges or something difficult, I always do them legit. I like overcoming challenges and using exploits to do that is unsatisfying and dirty.

I'm not sure what to say: yes I did use occasionally cheats INGAME to get something done, keyword being "ingame" because I never used hacks or anything to get me flagged - because why would I do that in the first place anyway?

So no, stuff like mods to unlock trophies hasn't been a thing for me. I used mods on pc for several games - still do sometimes - but after a long time I just decided to play vanilla because it can be boring after a while. Played skyrim with hundreds of mods for years and never finished because I wanted more mods, but now I just want to play it normally.

Probably the closest thing to something like that was in BL1 where someone came to my lobby and gave me extra skill points to my mordecai so I was basically able to specc in all 3 trees...didn't help me to get through Moxxi's Underdome anyway so it was pretty  useless as I needed help from someone anyway.

Edited by Darghel
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Another day on PSNP, another dead thread rises from the grave.

With an edited comment. I have no problem with these threads being dug up as some are good, but why is every comment immediately edited, even one word/number comments. Genuinely curious. 

Just now, GUDGER666 said:

With an edited comment. I have no problem with these threads being dug up as some are good, but why is every comment immediately edited, even one word/number comments. Genuinely curious. 

In my defense, I make silly typing mistakes and occasionally I like to add more to the context. My bad on that!

Also double woops didn't know this was an old thread, it came out on me, and thought to give my commentary as well. 

• Like 1