Real-name Requests

bigrake1

I don't see a thread on this issue, but I was wondering how comfortable everyone was with receiving real-name requests on PS4. I received one today from an individual on my friend list who I don't know all that well, and I have mixed feelings about that. Thoughts?

• Like 2

It's funny seeing a lot of you people who probably have incredibly common American/British names that are afraid of telling people your name. Sergen is my real name and everyone knows that by default, if anyone should be afraid of saying their real name to someone, it's me because I don't share a full name with a minimum of 10,000 different Facebook users like a lot of you would. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sergen said:

It's funny seeing a lot of you people who probably have incredibly common American/British names that are afraid of telling people your name. Sergen is my real name and everyone knows that by default, if anyone should be afraid of saying their real name to someone, it's me because I don't share a full name with a minimum of 10,000 different Facebook users like a lot of you would. 

People can get my first name from my username, too. But combining my first and last name results in very few results on Facebook. I'm not all that comfortable accepting them from complete strangers, either, because of this.. But I'm sure it's out there somewhere, if someone searched hard enough for it. :dunno: Just don't know what knowing my last name gets you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

People can get my first name from my username, too. But combining my first and last name results in very few results on Facebook. I'm not all that comfortable accepting them from complete strangers, either, because of this.. But I'm sure it's out there somewhere, if someone searched hard enough for it. :dunno: Just don't know what knowing my last name gets you. 

I don't often ask for people's full name, but I find it funny how people will say all this stuff about how they're afraid for their own privacy when they withhold it, although their full name is incredibly common and shared by thousands of people. I will say that to be "friends" with someone, I'd have to at least know their first name and if they're afraid to tell me that, our friendship won't last that long. 

• Like 1

You know you can change the name on there to what you want to show right. Just remove your last name and replace with some just as awesome name. I still just keep my first name on there, there is probably a billion "Alex"....my show last name is Senpai....

The issue I have is not others knowing my name its me knowing theirs....because some people like using a bunch of ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' in their real name, because it places them first on friend list. It really annoys me, in the end I have to remove them. Or! their real name profile picture is damn ugly. I cant stand those who put pictures of themselves up with dog nose and dog ears or animal add-ons whatever they do with their phone.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

12 minutes ago, Sergen said:

I don't often ask for people's full name, but I find it funny how people will say all this stuff about how they're afraid for their own privacy when they withhold it, although their full name is incredibly common and shared by thousands of people. I will say that to be "friends" with someone, I'd have to at least know their first name and if they're afraid to tell me that, our friendship won't last that long. 

I can kind of get it, if your name is unique and makes you easy to find. But otherwise, I'd have to agree. Giving out your first name isn't a big thing. There are millions of Robs out there, I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

You know you can change the name on there to what you want to show right. Just remove your last name.

I should probably do that, and not have to worry about it anymore. Or I could just continue to let them sit there, like random friend requests. :ninja:

• Like 1

To be clear, in my case, he knows my first name, which is common. He's been asking after my last name, which is uncommon. Reading these responses has been very helpful...So he's followed up on this interest by sending a real-name request today.

Edited by bigrake1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bigrake1 said:

To be clear, in my case, he knows my first name, which is common. He's been asking after my last name, which is uncommon. Reading these responses has been very helpful...So he's followed up on this interest by sending a real-name request today.

Admittedly, it is a bit weird and creepy for someone to keep asking you what your last name is

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlindMango said:

I never do it because I like the idea of referring and knowing people by their gaming name when I play games, I don't want my PlayStation experience to be some kind of Facebook style profile system with a bunch of random peoples real names - hard to explain but it makes it less fun when you delete the emphasis on gaming usernames

I agreed with this, don’t know why but even if I know someone’s first name I still refer to them by their gamer tag, unless it’s requested to use their name.

• Like 2

I've gotten a request for that and I haven't accepted it. I would probably give only my first name to someone I feel comfortable with and talk to a lot. Don't see the point of giving my name to someone if they've got about 1k or more followers, either.

Edited by Intoner_Zero
  • Like 2