Best way to get ship/weapon materials?

For things like wood and metal in particular (fur isn't so bad to collect), what is the best way to go about collecting these for the ship in particular? Though getting more metal to keep upgrading my legendary sword will be useful too.  But the ship in particular is starting to ask for a lot more wood and metal and I'm not certain what the best course in doing so would be in regards to obtaining said materials.

For now with the ship, I am focusing more on arrow damage, the hull and the bracing armour, mostly to fortify it a bit more and do more damage with my arrows.

I’ve found that sinking ships is a very efficient way to collect wood. I can farm thousands of wood in no time at sea. My strategy is to sink a few ships...and then a bounty will be placed sending a low-level epic ship. Loot the chests on the epic ship and collect all the wood. Then pay off the bounty and start the cycle over again. You’ll also make a ton of cash to purchase metal from blacksmiths. Metals will also drop from ships. You’ll also collect stray drifting wood at sea quite frequently. 

Edited by bigrake1

I wouldn't pay attention to materials because when you are higher level you will get more resources than on lower levels.

in comparison on level 1-5 you get somewhere around 2-3 piece of iron from ore, and on level 40-50 you will get 16-20 of iron from the same ore. I actually ended with 15K wood and 7K iron at the end.

Just now, Sebax55 said:

I wouldn't pay attention to materials because when you are higher level you will get more resources than on lower levels.

in comparison on level 1-5 you get somewhere around 2-3 piece of iron from ore, and on level 40-50 you will get 16-20 of iron from the same ore. I actually ended with 15K wood and 7K iron at the end.

Really? That is interesting, I'm about level 25 right now and each small tree, around 7 or so wood, same with the iron ore.  So I guess when I'm leveled up some more, I'll be getting more wood and ore in particular.

3 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Really? That is interesting, I'm about level 25 right now and each small tree, around 7 or so wood, same with the iron ore.  So I guess when I'm leveled up some more, I'll be getting more wood and ore in particular.

I've found I get a ton of resources from enemy war ration things (the purple things u burn in camps and forts) if u loot them before burning u get a ton of stuff, and buying from blacksmith is also good as well as sinking ships but on land the war supplies is best other than the blacksmith

7 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I would focus more on skins because you need a lot of them like a lot to upgrade your legendary set to level 50. I think a breastplate costed me somewhere around 1500 of skins to get it from level 45 to 50 

Just now, Sebax55 said:

I would focus more on skins because you need a lot of them like a lot to upgrade your legendary set to level 50. I think a breastplate costed me somewhere around 1500 of skins to get it from level 45 to 50 

The only legendary thing I'm upgrading for now is my sword.  I'll upgrade some armour later on.

Remember that you can loot those war chest things before you burn them.

At this point I just buy all wood and stone and often soft leather whenever I find a blacksmith.

Also, I don't upgrade weapons, it's expensive and I'm finding many new good ones. I'm upgrading armour since it is less expensive and I have a few favourites.

I'm not going out of my way yet to find resources. Yeah I'll sink a ship if one attacks me but I didn't find it necessary to focus on it.

14 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Remember that you can loot those war chest things before you burn them.

At this point I just buy all wood and stone and often soft leather whenever I find a blacksmith.

Also, I don't upgrade weapons, it's expensive and I'm finding many new good ones. I'm upgrading armour since it is less expensive and I have a few favourites.

I'm not going out of my way yet to find resources. Yeah I'll sink a ship if one attacks me but I didn't find it necessary to focus on it.

Yeah, I didn't realize I could, so I'm going to loot them from now on before burning them :D

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone else figured this out, but my loading screen just said something about tier rewards on the mercenary screen. Couldn't see anything but I checked online, and there's indeed rewards for reaching each tier. The biggie for this thread: from tier 4 onwards, ship upgrades are reduced by 20%!

• Like 1

I also found this yesterday, tier rewards are as follows:

• Tier 8 – Blacksmiths reduced their prices by 20%
  • Tier 7 – War Contracts and Bounties Provide 20% more rewards
  • Tier 6 – Engraving items costs 20% less
  • Tier 5 – Removing a bounty costs 20% less
  • Tier 4 – Ship upgrades cost 20% resources
  • Tier 3 – Item upgrades cost 20% less
  • Tier 2 – 10% better chance of finding better quality loot around the world