I think I found an account activation glitch on PlayStation Network.

Deathon6

So at first I had 2 ps3s activated. My main ps3 and my alt ps3. My cousin got a ps3 and I wanted to share my bo2 zombie maps with him. But in order to do this I had to deactivate one of my ps3s. I ended up deactivating my main ps3 thinking I was on my alt ps3. I then went over to his house and activated my psn account on his ps3 and downloaded all the bo2 zombie maps for him.

When the announcement that Twisted Metal was going to be taken offline I wanted to play it. I went on to my main ps3 to start up the game and it said I needed to activate it first in order to play. That is when I realized I had deactivated my main ps3 and not my alt ps3 I wanted to reactivate it again so I could play Twisted Metal.

I then went on to my alt ps3 and deactivated it. Then I tried going on my main ps3 and activating it. Unfortunately it said I already had 2 ps3s activated. How could this be I asked. I should only have 1 ps3 activated which is my cousin's ps3. 

I also wanted to boost twisted metal with my alt ps3 so I wanted to activate that one as well and I wasn't going to be able to go over to my cousin's house for a week to deactivate my account on his ps3 so I decided to get on the psn website and deactivate all ps3s to see if that would finally let me activate my main ps3. 

Once the deactivation was complete I then went and activated my main ps3 and alt ps3 and the activation was successful on both ps3s. 

A week later I went over to my cousins house and we played zombies together. Since I had deactivated all ps3s that my account was on which included his. That should of meant that all those maps that I gave him should had been unavailable to him since my psn account was no longer active on his ps3 system. 

However when the game loaded and I went to choose a map all of them were there. Nuketown, MOTD, Buried, Origins, Die Rise, all of them. And we were able to play on all of them.

How could this be? Those map packs are registered to my account and my account was deactive on his ps3 system and I know he didn't buy them using his psn account. I also know that there is no other psn account active on his ps3 system that would have those map packs. 

So how is it that my cousin is still able to use content that I had purchased despite the fact that my psn account is deactive on his ps3 system? 

Did I somehow manage to get my psn account active on 3 ps3 systems? It says I have 3 activated on the PlayStation Website. 2 for game and 1 for video. But I am not sure if one of the 2 for game is the same ps3 activated for video. When I go to devices it says I have 3 ps3s activated. All 3 have the music icon and 1 has the video icon. But it does not tell me which of the 2 of the 3 are activated for games. 

Did the system glitch when it deactivated my psn account on all ps3s systems and my cousin's ps3 system didn't get deactivated but somehow the system thinks it is? 

I would really like to look further into this and see if there really is a glitch on PlayStation Network that lets you have more than 2 activated systems or if there could be another reasons behind this. 

If you think you know what could be causing this then please leave your feedback below. I would really like to see if we can replicate this and fully understand exactly how to get this to work. 

Yes, this is a well-known method to get an "extra" activation of sorts. If you try to log in on your cousin's PS3, however, you should lose that functionality. Furthermore, you can really only take advantage of this once every 6 months or however frequently they let you do the "reset all," so it's not that helpful, unfortunately.

AFAIK, this is totally legit, just a bit convoluted.

EDIT: Google "gameshare on 3 ps3s" and check the top link (you can actually use if for up to 4 PS3s), I think that describes the same thing you are. I won't link it directly since it's a bit of a grey area, but considering that games purchased prior to a certain date actually let you gameshare up to 5x by default, I don't think it's that big a deal myself.

Edited by RNumbers

37 minutes ago, Deathon6 said:

So at first I had 2 ps3s activated. My main ps3 and my alt ps3. My cousin got a ps3 and I wanted to share my bo2 zombie maps with him. But in order to do this I had to deactivate one of my ps3s. I ended up deactivating my main ps3 thinking I was on my alt ps3. I then went over to his house and activated my psn account on his ps3 and downloaded all the bo2 zombie maps for him.

When the announcement that Twisted Metal was going to be taken offline I wanted to play it. I went on to my main ps3 to start up the game and it said I needed to activate it first in order to play. That is when I realized I had deactivated my main ps3 and not my alt ps3 I wanted to reactivate it again so I could play Twisted Metal.

I then went on to my alt ps3 and deactivated it. Then I tried going on my main ps3 and activating it. Unfortunately it said I already had 2 ps3s activated. How could this be I asked. I should only have 1 ps3 activated which is my cousin's ps3. 

I also wanted to boost twisted metal with my alt ps3 so I wanted to activate that one as well and I wasn't going to be able to go over to my cousin's house for a week to deactivate my account on his ps3 so I decided to get on the psn website and deactivate all ps3s to see if that would finally let me activate my main ps3. 

Once the deactivation was complete I then went and activated my main ps3 and alt ps3 and the activation was successful on both ps3s. 

A week later I went over to my cousins house and we played zombies together. Since I had deactivated all ps3s that my account was on which included his. That should of meant that all those maps that I gave him should had been unavailable to him since my psn account was no longer active on his ps3 system. 

However when the game loaded and I went to choose a map all of them were there. Nuketown, MOTD, Buried, Origins, Die Rise, all of them. And we were able to play on all of them.

How could this be? Those map packs are registered to my account and my account was deactive on his ps3 system and I know he didn't buy them using his psn account. I also know that there is no other psn account active on his ps3 system that would have those map packs. 

So how is it that my cousin is still able to use content that I had purchased despite the fact that my psn account is deactive on his ps3 system? 

Did I somehow manage to get my psn account active on 3 ps3 systems? It says I have 3 activated on the PlayStation Website. 2 for game and 1 for video. But I am not sure if one of the 2 for game is the same ps3 activated for video. When I go to devices it says I have 3 ps3s activated. All 3 have the music icon and 1 has the video icon. But it does not tell me which of the 2 of the 3 are activated for games. 

Did the system glitch when it deactivated my psn account on all ps3s systems and my cousin's ps3 system didn't get deactivated but somehow the system thinks it is? 

I would really like to look further into this and see if there really is a glitch on PlayStation Network that lets you have more than 2 activated systems or if there could be another reasons behind this. 

If you think you know what could be causing this then please leave your feedback below. I would really like to see if we can replicate this and fully understand exactly how to get this to work. 

As long as you don't remove the user or attempt to log in, you'll be fine. I got some of my BO1 dlcs gameshared to me, and even though the person has long since changed their info and deactivated consoles, I can still play the maps whenever I want. Though I did it back when you could have 5 activated consoles. 

Edited by Armored Squirrel