PSN Online ID Change feature enters PlayStation Preview Program soon

HusKy

Didn't think i'd be doing this in a long time but: Sony actually did something benevolent/not greedy here: £3.99 for PS+ users after the first change. That is very low, was expecting £11.99 or £15.99. 

I won't be using the feature but it's still a very sincere price, I must admit.

Edited by Potent_Delusions

5 minutes ago, HusKyCode said:

Preview program to kick off soon, with full rollout for all PS4 users planned for early 2019

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10/10/psn-online-id-change-feature-enters-playstation-preview-program-soon/

Seems like there will be certain transitioning period where some games will and some won't support the new naming system.

I'd wager PS3 would have most difficulty with this. 

2 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Didn't think i'd be doing this in a long time but: Sony actually did something benevolent/not greedy here: £3.99 for PS+ users after the first change. That is very low, was expecting £11.99 or £15.99. 

I won't be using the feature but it's still a very sincere price, I must admit.

$5 not bad. Not great either, but at least I can finally fix my username after 7 years 

• Like 1

This is cool and all... but I will wait a while before doing absolutely anything. If this messes up my old saves or downloads... I mean, I don't really like my current username, but it sure beats losing everything you've done up to this point.

• Like 3

I'll wait until it's confirmed that none of the games I want to play will have issues allowing me to play with a new PSN ID. The last thing I want is for half the games I want to play to become unplayable due to my choice to change my ID. I'm just looking forward to all you people who change your ID to an anime oriented ID instead of the generic one you probably have right now. 

• Like 2

Very interesting. So apart from the "most played games" on PS4, anything released prior to the 1st of April 2018 isn't compatible. I'm assuming this doesn't work at all on Vita and PS3. It's not perfect of course, but I guess this is the best solution they could come up with, and it's better than nothing.

The thing that most confused me when reading that blog post is this:

When you change your online ID, you will have the option to display your previous ID with your new ID, so your friends can recognize you. Once you decide to display your old ID or not, you won’t be able to adjust this after completing the online ID change process.

There should have just been an option to view a user's previous names by default. I don't understand why it's either displaying it or not and there's no way to reverse the decision. Now it's going to be incredibly hard to figure out who people are after a name change if they don't display their old ID... And speaking of, I wonder what exactly it means to "display your previous ID with your new ID". How will that look?

It definitely seems wise to hold off changing your name until we know the full extent of what it will break in regards to older games and Vita/PS3.

• Like 4

While it’s nice to finally have this feature it sucks to have it attached to such a huge asterisk. A sizeable portion of the games i play came out before last April and i don’t really want to risk any incompatibility business. I’ll just wait and see how well it works for now.

I always expected to come here to PSNP and see this news on the front page and now it’s happening. We waited for so long for this! This is a reminder that we should always stay positive and that patience usually pays off.

I’m definitely going to change my ID. I’m not worried about my friends not knowing who I am, because I think my profile is easily recognizable. However, considering that I love MP, I want to be sure that my favorite games will be fully compatible and playable. I hate my PSN ID and I want to get rid of it so bad, but my love for certain games, like Uncharted 3, is more important. I don’t want to get locked out of my profile in games that I invested a lot of time into.

We’ll see. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly. Regardless of everything, this is awesome news.

• Like 1