PSN Online ID Change feature enters PlayStation Preview Program soon

HusKy

I love to see the reaction of some of you.. 

I'm not surprised that it will be implemented in this way, and it really shows how integral our Id's are in their system, as well as how hard it was for them to implement it. That's why there's all this potential "issues". But at least those that really want to change it, can change their ID. 

Also, I believe this is 1 more step forward on Sony abandoning their legacy systems, since this is clearly made for their newer players that started with ps4 and for their hardcore playerbase that keeps up with the AAA flavor games, since older games aren't really what they play nowadays. 

I personally don't care much, since I'm not changing my name and even without name change, I already don't recognize about 1/3rd of the people in my friends list... 

I personally never wanted this to happen, I think it'll cause more problems than good. The main thing which concerns me is not knowing who someone is after the name change, there will be people who change their names constantly (which will also mess with my friends list order) and when searching for them I can't find them. I'm also curious to how websites will deal with all the name changes.

It's more of a wait and see thing but I never understood why people complained in the first place, it said you can't change your username when making your account so anyone who made a name they hated/regreted is their own fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DPatriot said:

So pay money for changing name. Why not just create new account? 

Well its definitely nothing for me. 

If you care about your trophies... you dont wanna create a new account! 

I will be happy to change my ID... even if i have to pay; the price for PS+ user its good (cost less than a Twitch subscription) 

Edited by SeaDragon777

3 minutes ago, SeaDragon777 said:

If you care about your trophies... you dont wanna create a new account! 

Trophies can be earned again while names can't be changed (not counting the new name changing), I've made new accounts because I wasn't happy with my name and overall it works out better. Sometimes its good to have a fresh start. ^_^

• Like 1

Just now, LuciaRosethorn said:

I personally never wanted this to happen, I think it'll cause more problems than good. The main thing which concerns me is not knowing who someone is after the name change, there will be people who change their names constantly (which will also mess with my friends list order) and when searching for them I can't find them. I'm also curious to how websites will deal with all the name changes.

It's more of a wait and see thing but I never understood why people complained in the first place, it said you can't change your username when making your account so anyone who made a name they hated/regreted is their own fault.

A price or a limit can easily solve the constant name-changing problem. You might even get a notification if a friend changes, I don't know... PSN is sophisticated enough. Why did people complain? Well, imagine choosing a name at age 7 and still wanting the same name at age 20. Firstly, that would be worrying... secondly, it would require that a 7 year-old child has an ability to look 13 years in advance, which is simply impossible. 

However, please note not all games and applications for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita systems are guaranteed to support the online ID change, and users may occasionally encounter issues or errors in certain games.

Like Serious Sam said in Serious Sam II... "i knew it, i knew it". So yeah everyone watch out or expect lot of disputes due to savegame resigning issues.

1 minute ago, Midnightwards666 said:

A price or a limit can easily solve the constant name-changing problem. You might even get a notification if a friend changes, I don't know... PSN is sophisticated enough. Why did people complain? Well, imagine choosing a name at age 7 and still wanting the same name at age 20. Firstly, that would be worrying... secondly, it would require that a 7 year-old child has an ability to look 13 years in advance, which is simply impossible. 

But at the end of the day they chose that name, it also doesn't effect anything besides what people see you as. Hopefully we'll get notifications or if you were friends with them before hand you can always see the old name. 

I'm also concerned about block lists, will they still block the person if they change their name? I'm also certain people will change their name just so they can talk to particular people and pretend they're someone different, having your old name should be mandatory to stop things like that and any confusion.

10 minutes ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

Trophies can be earned again while names can't be changed (not counting the new name changing), I've made new accounts because I wasn't happy with my name and overall it works out better. Sometimes its good to have a fresh start. ^_^

I have a lot of games [digital] i don’t want a fresh start/i just can’t do it. 

• Like 2

Even though it's such good news, it's quite concerning considering the side effects that come with it. After all these years we finally see some light in regards to this long awaited update to the network yet it still feels kind of pointless still given the huge repercussions that come with deciding to change your ID. Let's just hope after a while of this update being out Sony can tweak it and hopefully make it better than what it seems we're getting. I won't be changing my name, but this will be a good update to those who need it. 

1 minute ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

But at the end of the day they chose that name, it also doesn't effect anything besides what people see you as. Hopefully we'll get notifications or if you were friends with them before hand you can always see the old name. 

I'm also concerned about block lists, will they still block the person if they change their name? I'm also certain people will change their name just so they can talk to particular people and pretend they're someone different, having your old name should be mandatory to stop things like that and any confusion.

No one wants a name misrepresenting of who they are. I wouldn't be against their display name history being visible somewhere in their "About me" though, in order to avoid confusion. 

As for people changing their name with malicious intentions... well, can that not already be done? Multiple accounts? In fact, one would have to be quite daft to change their name and pretend to be someone else - their trophy list and message history would be exactly the same as before. They'd likely have far more trolling success if they just created a new account, just like they can today. 

• Like 1

It's nice that they finally doing it after people have been asking for it for years.

and even if some kind of error happens at least they're letting you reset the your name for free.

If for any reason you experience issues after changing your ID, you can revert back to your original ID for free at any time (you will only be able to revert once during the preview program). Reverting back to an old ID will resolve most issues caused by the ID change. In addition, when this feature officially launches, a list of compatible games published before April 1, 2018, will be provided on PlayStation.com for reference before you make a change.

Edited by soultaker655

Guys, guys, guys: the main issue is:

How PSNProfiles.com will work then when you will change your ID? ;).

Maybe it will double you on the Leaderboard? :D.

How about internal High Score results in some games? How the servers will react?

This whole thing is just unsure.

I've always wanted to change my username, since I made this account when I was a teen and didn't expect to be using it much, till I started actually buying some digital games/DLC for it, then it seemed pointless making another account. Definitely regret my username now though.

However, the "not all games and applications may support the ID change" is concerning. I don't want to be locked out of my PS3 and Vita, or digital games I've purchased because they no longer recognise my username, so I may just end up not even changing it at all. A username change isn't worth it at all if that turns out to be the case. If it's more so a case such as "this old CoD game no longer has your saved online stats because your username is now different", I can live with that, since I don't play any PS3 games online any more anyway. Not to mention a lot of servers have been shut down at this point anyhow. That being said, I don't know how this would affect PS4 games released before April 2018.

This is definitely going to be a "wait and see how it turns out" before I do anything.

Also I'm sure it's probably been questioned several times already, but I wonder how this site will handle PSN username changes.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Smashero said:

Guys, guys, guys: the main issue is:

How PSNProfiles.com will work then when you will change your ID? ;).

Maybe it will double you on the Leaderboard? :D.

How about internal High Score results in some games? How the servers will react?

This whole thing is just unsure.

let some brave folks try it first (that's what I'm going to do :P)

despite the uncertainty this is awesome news

Just now, Midnightwards666 said:

No one wants a name misrepresenting of who they are. I wouldn't be against their display name history being visible somewhere in their "About me" though, in order to avoid confusion. 

As for people changing their name with malicious intentions... well, can that not already be done? Multiple accounts? In fact, one would have to be quite daft to change their name and pretend to be someone else - their trophy list and message history would be exactly the same as before. They'd likely have far more trolling success if they just created a new account, just like they can today. 

True but as I said it was their choice and most of the time people will just start again, I'm not against this by any means but I like to look at the problems more due to the fact they're more important then the positives. 

Yeah you have a point with people can just make a new accounts, it's just more hassle. Also saying people would be daft thinking they could get away with it, there's some really stupid people in this world so I wouldn't put it pass some. At the start it'll be problematic, mainly because it's so late in the PlayStation life but over time it'll die down, Xbox do fine with name changes so hopefully PlayStation will be the same.

Something else which I'm interested in. For example, if I change my name to Rose or something then searched LuciaRosethorn, I'm curious to see if it'll still come up with the account or if you have to use the new name. Again that could be a problem at the start since you won't know everyone's new name. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

If this new feature comes at the expense of my trophies, games et cetera (as it implicitly states), I'm not looking forward to it at all. :rolleyes:

I will not risk something bigger for a trivial thing like a name change. :hmm:

I think trophies are pretty much the only motive. If it comes at the expense of trophies and gamesaves, then what's the point in even doing the update... 

• Like 1

Well they say all PS4 games since April 1st will be good to go. And they are going to release a list of compatible games that released before April 1st so that we are not guessing which games are good and which won't be. I'm personally more concerned about the Vita games as I still use that thing from time to time.

And if I'm reading everything right, it won't be nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Trophies are tied to an account which is tied to the ID Name. Once the ID name changes, the trophies are going to follow. Essentially trophies are tracked through account holders on the Playstation Network as a whole and have no ties to any individual game. You shouldn't lose any trophies. If anything, I'm picturing the opposite could occur for those games that don't for say support change. You might be able to get duplicate games on your PSN trophy count. The initial one that had your original ID, and if the game can't follow your ID change and sees a new ID, it might unlock more trophies and send that to your account, thus adding another copy of the same game to said account. 

For those currently worried they won't be able to download their games on their library, again I wouldn't worry about that. That's a Playstation Network issue, not an individual game issue. Everything from the PSN as a whole should be fine, so trophies and libraries. They only say individual games might have an issue and that's while your are playing said game. Says nothing about not being able to play anything anymore. 

But anyway, in the end, right now everything is just speculation. The only thing we know for sure is that you will be able to change your ID and that it'll have no effect on any game post April 1st, 2018. After that it's a crap shoot and we'll have to see how it goes when it actually comes out.  

• Like 4

Why are people acting like you won't be able to play older games/lose savegames. Your original ID is still tied to your account, because you can revert to your original ID at any time. Unsupported services/games will most likely show up your old ID then and not be unusable forever that's absurd.

Edited by Alex_R-13