PSN Online ID Change feature enters PlayStation Preview Program soon

HusKy

11 minutes ago, Midnightwards666 said:

I think trophies are pretty much the only motive. If it comes at the expense of trophies and gamesaves, then what's the point in even doing the update... 

I don't know, but I just got a feeling that this feature will pose problems to (many) users.

6 minutes ago, Alex_R-13 said:

Why are people acting like you won't be able to play older games/lose savegames. Your original ID is still tied to your account, because you can revert to your original ID at any time. Unsupported services/games will most likely show up your old ID then and not be unusable forever that's absurd.

imo this is really more about existing ingame records of some games (like most kills / best round and idk what else). if this is the only problem I'm ok with it since I'm not really good at anything xD

my only concern is how this site will manage that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, damage_6-9 said:

Tread very carefully if deciding to change your name .....  as it is not compatible with everything, you may be saying goodbye to a large chunk of your digital library

What?! They say some MP games would be affected, but I don't see why entire titles would be rendered useless.

2 hours ago, DPatriot said:

So pay money for changing name. Why not just create new account? 

Well its definitely nothing for me. 

Coming from someone who has 109 Platinums I thought this would be obvious - TO KEEP YOUR TROPHIES? To keep all your purchased games? Hello?

1 hour ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

Trophies can be earned again while names can't be changed (not counting the new name changing), I've made new accounts because I wasn't happy with my name and overall it works out better. Sometimes its good to have a fresh start. ^_^

"Trophies can be earned again." Yeah, because re-earning 89 Platinums doesn't take several years.

• Like 3

the unsuportted games may be related to online games where you bought something on their market and attached the purchases to your old ID.

It could be a problem in case you uninstalled the game and installed it again, and wanted your purchases back

game saves, digital library, trophies, it's all on PSN and should not be affected, Sony is not THAT stupid

• Like 2

I'm a bit confused with something. They said games before April 2018 could have issues, does this refer to games that you've played or any game in general? I mean if I have a 100% complete on every game, change my name and then play any game before April 2018 after changing my name, Will I get issues?

1 hour ago, Mikoto_railgun01 said:

i like this idea but the incompatibale with games before april of this year sounds kinda crap as i play games online that came out a few years back like diablo 3, payday 2 and killing floor 2.

Seems risky, since I like playing BO3 :/ 

12 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

What?! They say some MP games would be affected, but I don't see why entire titles would be rendered useless.

Coming from someone who has 109 Platinums I thought this would be obvious - TO KEEP YOUR TROPHIES? To keep all your purchased games? Hello?

"Trophies can be earned again." Yeah, because re-earning 89 Platinums doesn't take several years.

Depends on the person, plus if you aren't happy with your name some people would rather start again. I've known people who've started again with 100 platinums because they wanted a fresh start, most people have easy platinum anyway so it's not really that hard for them to earn them again.

11 minutes ago, bercoelho said:

the unsuportted games may be related to online games where you bought something on their market and attached the purchases to your old ID.

It could be a problem in case you uninstalled the game and installed it again, and wanted your purchases back

game saves, digital library, trophies, it's all on PSN and should not be affected, Sony is not THAT stupid

trophies and saves are signed to a user's account id, not necessarily their username, so I doubt they would be affected at all. 

Is it possible that people use this feature to cheat certain trophies where you check on online leaderboard to find out if a trophy has been earned legitimately or not?

edit: By that I mean cheating a trophy, then changing your ID (and hiding it) so nobody can tell if your old ID really is in the leaderboard for given game.

Edited by GTRP_Lancerlover

Hmmmm... no wonder Sony is shutting down all their old games' servers. Changing PSN name would most likely have a problem with those games and they just don't want to deal with it. And they're also ending IGC for PS3/Vita in March. Something is afoot at Sony. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think all this could be related.

Either way I'm not gonna change my name, but anybody else who does, it's a "do it at your own risk" thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DPatriot said:

So pay money for changing name. Why not just create new account? 

Well its definitely nothing for me. 

You'd lose games that are tied to the old account (plus trophies)

Not for me either, I honestly never saw the commotion over this. Even if you had an embarrassing name do many people even see it or care? Guess it's something that should have been in from the start though.

Actually, I wonder how this will affect all the hackers that have already disputed.  If they change their name, would their account show back up on the leaderboards?  Not that I care all that much, more or less just curious. 

4 hours ago, Midnightwards666 said:

As for people changing their name with malicious intentions... well, can that not already be done? Multiple accounts? In fact, one would have to be quite daft to change their name and pretend to be someone else - their trophy list and message history would be exactly the same as before. They'd likely have far more trolling success if they just created a new account, just like they can today. 

4 hours ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

Yeah you have a point with people can just make a new accounts, it's just more hassle. Also saying people would be daft thinking they could get away with it, there's some really stupid people in this world so I wouldn't put it pass some. At the start it'll be problematic, mainly because it's so late in the PlayStation life but over time it'll die down, Xbox do fine with name changes so hopefully PlayStation will be the same.

You rang? :P

• Like 1

I think the issues will have to do with game saves especially the older generation like ps3 and vita and anything else that use saves. But playing a game fresh should be ok. We will see.

Remember: an account isn't solely tied to a username. Think email address and/or phone number in some cases with two-factor auth. It would make no sense for an account to be limited or disrupted by a username change alone. When you sign up for PSN, the first thing they ask for is an email address - and I believe you can change your email addy with no problems on PSN.

I don't think digital purchases will be rendered useless once you change your PSN name. It'd be absolutely ridiculous if Sony were to tell me the games I bought & were receipted TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS still attached to my account (with a new username) were unplayable. Same with trophies earned on an account with the same email address attached to it. Username changes seem artificial, much like an avatar change.

Perhaps some PS3 multiplayer display settings might have issues, but I don't see a reason for gameplay or the ability to use multiplayer features being disrupted. Then again I'm no expert - just seems daft to assume. (Of course, tech experts, pls feel free to educate and prove me wrong haha!)