Achievements for Nintendo games, good or bad?

DragonQuest238

So I just found this podcast video where the podcasters discussed possible ideas for Nintendo to have an achievement network system like Sony's trophies and Microsofts acheivements. The video is below if you want to watch it.

So I wanted to promote heavy discussion on this. While I am sure Nintendo is probably never going to have a trophy system for their games(that hasn't stopped Playstation - anyone remember the time when games didn't have trophies before they implemented a trophy network? I know a few games that don't have trophy lists from the PS3 era), I'd like to hear thoughts on whether you think Nintendo should have a trophy network like Playstation or not.

My thoughts: At first I thought it was cool, but realized how bad an idea that would be. The reason I created so many accounts in the past was because I felt bad for having unfinished games on my profile but couldn't finish them. (I love the Witness's graphics and sound bytes and the Challenge's music was a classic, but I never get more than 90% on that game because of that f'king Challenge and i won't play it until they undo the patch that lets you pause the challenge to check your notes.) I can rent games for the Switch on GameFly, play them until I complete the story and do anything I want to do in post-game(if there is one) and then send it back without regrets. If Nintendo has their own trophy system, I would probably just sell my Nintendo Switch and use the money to repurchase Miitopia before the Nintendo store no longer supports 3DS. :(

The table is open for discussion, give your thoughts. ;)

• Like 2

To be honest I like the idea. I mean Microsoft has achievements for the Xbox consoles, we have trophies, so I think it's only fair Nintendo gets a crack at having their own system implemented. Maybe not have it as an achievement or trophy system but their own take on it which makes it exclusive for them. I'd like to see games like Zelda having an achievement type system, and for the hardcore fans out there I think they'd appreciate it an update like this which gives them more incentive to complete games to it's entirety and give a sense of challenge to them. I myself am not too familiar with the newer products of Nintendo so I don't completely have much else to say. But I do know Nintendo has always been the only company not having a system in place like this for their products which seems like such a loss. So many great games on their platform which deserves an achievement/trophy list. 

Maybe a system called Ninchievements? ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

Honestly this is your problem 1f611.png. As marketing and developing of services is a good idea to add new features to their systems, it could also convince other people to play games they usually wouldn't (wich means more money 1f4b8.png). But if you just want to play the games for fun just do it, if you want to star over and over a new profile just because you can't complete a game it's not up to Nintendo (or any other company) it's just up to you 1f644.png

You're right, I honestly have a problem with being OCD and no game company should have to cater to my whims. xD

I am not totally adverse to Nintendo having an online trophy system(basically because I probably will never purchase an online plan for the Switch even though it's dirt cheap) but my gym trainer buddy and I discussed it and he said that Nintendo will never do it because they won't utilize a feature their competitors have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DragonQuest238 said:

my gym trainer buddy and I discussed it and he said that Nintendo will never do it because they won't utilize a feature their competitors have.

I think that is a really silly reason not to do something, and honestly, a bad business move. It happens all the time. If something works, you should definitely take advantage of it.

As for Nintendo having achievements, I am for it. I don't think I would get into it, but it would be cool to see what kind of system they put in place.

• Like 1

I'm neither here nor there. If they implemented achievements you can damn well bet I'm going to go for them. But if they don't, I still play but without the pressure I sometimes feel about trophies. I think Nintendo did patent an achievement type system some years ago, but of course that doesn't mean they're going to do anything with it.

Since the Nintendo line is more 'family friendly' focused I'd love to see them implement an achievement system but in the form of a sticker book. Like the achievements are stickers and we can paste them in our sticker book/achievement panel lol

• Like 2

This isn't the first time I've seen the statement "I don't want Nintendo to have achievements/trophies, because it's where I play games when I don't want to hunt trophies". So... don't hunt trophies then, and let the ones you get naturally unlock. I think too many people are concerned with trophy completion rates. Who cares? I'm not a serious trophy hunter by any means so I guess my opinion isn't the norm here, but I hunt trophies on a case by case basis. I'm not going to force myself to get 100% of the trophies in every game I play, even for the games I do like. I play Nintendo games the same way I play Playstation and Xbox games. Some games I'll try to complete all the side content, and others I don't need to. I have no desire to play every single side quest in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Playing the ones I come across on my way through the main story is fine with me.

Anyway, long story short I don't care if Nintendo implements achievements/trophies or not. I kind of like the sticker idea though, it's something fun that puts a Nintendo spin on the feature.

I personally think this could be great, and I really love the sticker book idea floated by someone else (I had always hoped for a PSHome sort of castle where I could hang my trophy tiles on the walls like paintings).

But hasn't Nintendo said multiple times that they don't want achievement systems (despite the fact that many of their games, such as Smash Bros., have them internally)?

I think it would make sense for them to do so.  It's worked out well for Playstation, Xbox, and Steam.  A lot of people don't care about achievements/trophies that much, but it's nice to have it for those that do.

21 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

I can rent games for the Switch on GameFly, play them until I complete the story and do anything I want to do in post-game(if there is one) and then send it back without regrets. If Nintendo has their own trophy system, I would probably just sell my Nintendo Switch and use the money to repurchase Miitopia before the Nintendo store no longer supports 3DS. :(

If you really feel that trophies/achievements have a negative effect for you, then stop going for them.  Turn off trophy notifications, set your trophies or account to private, whatever you need to do.  There's nothing wrong with renting a game and playing through the story and returning it.  If that's what you want to do, it's really messed up to regret that.

Well, they have a shot at making the best achievements on the market if they just want to look at mistakes other systems made. Wouldn't be surprised to see achievement cabinet on Nintendo system before Sony, which some reason decided that a music player is a good idea to have between the game I'm playing and my trophy count.

54 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

If you really feel that trophies/achievements have a negative effect for you, then stop going for them.  Turn off trophy notifications, set your trophies or account to private, whatever you need to do.  There's nothing wrong with renting a game and playing through the story and returning it.  If that's what you want to do, it's really messed up to regret that.

Totally agree with this.  This is my profile, if I can get trophies for a game great. If I can't get em fuck it. If I want to game without trophies I go to my Pandora or Raspberry Pi and play vintage games.

Bottom line, gaming is supposed to be fun!

I've always wanted Nintendo to jump on the bandwagon. Even though I don't trophy hunt much anymore, it'd be nice to have that option on any console.

I understand why they don't though. It can very easily pull away from the experience, and dictate what you do and how you play a game.

My switch is going down the same path as the Wii U, Gathering dust. Seriously need something for this system, trophies would definitely help but a decent library that's not dominated by indie games would be great. With that said it's either hack or ditch for me at this stage.

Also, the Raspberry Pi does have Achievements for certain emus.

Achievements system has always been one of my biggest wishes for Switch and Nintendo consoles in general! I've been a huge Nintendo fan for years but after getting into Playstation consoles and trophies I just think trophies/achievements often adds something more to the game. Sure, games are fun just by themselves too and some games have in-game achievements which are also just as fun, but having them on your profile would be even better (and minor complaint, not a fan of the system in some games where you have to talk to a character over and over and get awarded one achievement/medal/ect. at a time - why not just get them right away without having to talk to someone?)

Anyway, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed

Edited by Zanreo

I don't see a problem if they had an achievement / trophies system, seriously it will not gonna hurt them if they do so, Nintendo fanboys trying to sound it like it's a bad thing, you have the freedom to collect them or ignore them it's not a thing you must do to fully enjoy the games or required so you can fight the final boss or something, would be cool that if they had a trophy system to added a feature to hide them and not let them pop on screen like the ps4 does so those whose complaining about them to enjoy their Nintendo's games just like the old days.

every gaming system nowadays have an achievement system even VR headgears when hooked to Steam, Windows Store or PSN, mobile games have them too, only Nintendo's platforms is the one doesn't.

Edited by yellowwindow7

If they do it, I wish they would have had them from the beginning on Switch. Now it's the same shitty situation as with the PS3, where some older games don't have them and some got a patch.

Overall it doesn't really add anything that I have missed when playing Nintendo games, but it could be fun.

I'm mostly curious what requirements Nintendo will add to a game like Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, the NES games or if they will add anything post-release at all.

If they add some to the NES games, it will probably similar to Sega's Mega Drive collection or Capcom Arcade Cabinet than Retro Achievements: https://retroachievements.org/game/1995

edit: OK, I thought they were coming but this is purely wishful thinking and speculation.

On 11.10.2018 at 1:45 AM, syumisan said:

Technically some Nintendo games do have it. 

Well only example I have is Fire Emblem Warriors where they have in-game badges for what your doing. That's the closest I can come up with.

Metroid Prime 3, and later the Wii collection, also had these badges in the game.

I guess, overall, you could assume that every game of theirs with a progress tracker would require 100% game completion to also achieve 100% of achievements.

Edited by soniq

I don't see why giving people the option to pursue a global trophy/achievement-esque system would be a bad thing.

Only downside I could see is if Nintendo lets their quality control go to hell and the digital storefront gets overloaded with 50 cent achievement spam games like Steam... but a. I can't picture any console getting that bad and b. I go after primarily physical copies of games so the state of the digital storefront would have little to no effect on me.

I personally wouldn't participate though.  Just like I gave up trophies/achievements on the Playstation and Xbox (they're fun to earn but ultimately not worth the frustrations associated with them).  As long as they give me the option to disable any immersion-breaking notifications I say follow your heart, Nintendo.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I can't picture any console getting that bad

Ooooh, check out the PSN store and you'll see how bad it can get. Obviously, you've never heard of Green Lava Studios. xD

But if you just play all your games on physical(even though some of the times that's more expensive), then more power to you.

3 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Ooooh, check out the PSN store and you'll see how bad it can get. Obviously, you've never heard of Green Lava Studios. xD

But if you just play all your games on physical(even though some of the times that's more expensive), then more power to you.

Had to look them up.  The My Name Is Mayo devs?

Trust me, the load after load of shovelware and asset flips on Steam makes My Name Is Mayo look like gold.

I'd rather they have them than not, as it encourages you to really get the most out of the games (provided the dev actually bothers to create a decent set of achievements). But honestly it isn't stopping me enjoying Nintendo games either way, it's never a deal breaker tbh.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:02 PM, Z1MZUM said:

My switch is going down the same path as the Wii U, Gathering dust. Seriously need something for this system, trophies would definitely help but a decent library that's not dominated by indie games would be great. With that said it's either hack or ditch for me at this stage.

You could have said the same thing about the PS4 in its early year or two. True, Nintendo isn't cranking out first party games left and right, but there are plenty of games even beyond the indies. If those don't interest you, then maybe the system isn't for you.