Achievements for Nintendo games, good or bad?

DragonQuest238

1 hour ago, SkyMason said:

I'd rather they have them than not, as it encourages you to really get the most out of the games

Let me re-iterate: If Nintendo decided to have a trophy network like Playstation does and have games give you trophies, I am not going to ban them and just go back to my PC and The Sims 4. In fact,  The Sims 4 on PC has achievements but I usually ignore them because I know I would slit my wrists if I tried to get everything since some are so difficult(having everyone in your lot die and become a ghost, for example). But I have been trying to rehab after suffering from OCD of the worst sort with earning platinum trophies and trying to keep my profile up and I hate certain games even though playing them isn't bad, per se.

It depends on who you are, and that's why I put up this thread, I wanted to encourage discussion about it. Whatever we say won't affect what happens and if the Switch online gets a new feature to track game's achievements in the future(remember, Sony did not have trophies until year 3 of the PS3 when they updated the servers with a new update).

18 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

Let me re-iterate: If Nintendo decided to have a trophy network like Playstation does and have games give you trophies, I am not going to ban them and just go back to my PC and The Sims 4. In fact,  The Sims 4 on PC has achievements but I usually ignore them because I know I would slit my wrists if I tried to get everything since some are so difficult(having everyone in your lot die and become a ghost, for example). But I have been trying to rehab after suffering from OCD of the worst sort with earning platinum trophies and trying to keep my profile up and I hate certain games even though playing them isn't bad, per se.

It depends on who you are, and that's why I put up this thread, I wanted to encourage discussion about it. Whatever we say won't affect what happens and if the Switch online gets a new feature to track game's achievements in the future(remember, Sony did not have trophies until year 3 of the PS3 when they updated the servers with a new update).

I was just speaking for myself obviously, it's not a major thing for me either way.

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You could have said the same thing about the PS4 in its early year or two. True, Nintendo isn't cranking out first party games left and right, but there are plenty of games even beyond the indies. If those don't interest you, then maybe the system isn't for you.

Yeah it's definitely not for me, the 3rd party non exclusive games I might play seem to be more expensive then buying the ps4/xb1 counterpart. There is just no logic imo unless you really like handhelds. A suitable system for an over populated city with little space like Tokyo.

• Like 1

I would like to see Nintendo add achievements. I feel that they can only gain from it. Those that like them might well be compelled to buy games they wouldn't normally and those that don't like achievements could just turn off the notifications and ignore them. 

A big reason I rarely use my Switch or 3DS is lack of an achievement system. I'll still get the big exclusives but any thing that's multiplatform is getting bought on PS4. 

• Like 1

As a trophy hunter and trophies giving me motivation, its a good idea for me. Nintendo's lack of trophies/achievements have kept me away from them since Pokemon kind of simmered out. I only ever used Nintendo for pokemon, but when it came to the more "serious" gaming, I always stuck with PS as I saw it to be a waste of time to grind an RPG out on nintendo without a prize at the end. Hence I have refused to buy the Switch, I'd rather invest time on my ps4 and vita where I can enjoy games as well as be rewarded for efforts.