MidnightDragon

Will you change your PSN ID?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. Will you change your PSN ID?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

On 10.10.2018 at 5:23 PM, MidnightDragon said:

Unless you've been under a rock, you would know Sony announced that PSN ID name changes will begin beta testing soon with full rollout in early 2019. My question is this: will you change it? I probably won't. Like my PSN ID.

Haha, no. I've started over three times since 2008 and I think German_Atheist is the greatest, coolest, fanciest, and most bad-ass user name in the history of user names. Hands down. You know it's true. ;) I'd probably change the names of a few of my alts, but only if it's free.

Edited by Portnoy

I definitely won't. I feel like I'm not alone in saying that most people tried changing their name months ago, if not years ago. If you badly wanted a name, you did what people like me did and just created another profile to secure it. Like Lorajet said, so many great names are taken. I feel like, outside of those who have truly embarrassing names (and they've probably created a different profile already) it won't matter to many. 

Might not even be worth doing if the rumors of not all games supporting the name change are true. 

• Like 1

My honest feelings about Sony and PSN name changes.

Sony could have done this years ago. Many years ago.

They have known since forever that you cannot simply change your name on their server and thats it, but they did know that if you added a 'layer' onto any PSN account and then allowed that new layer to have a new name then this would work.

The PSN server would know that A = A even if A was changed to B. Everyone else would now see A as B, but PSN server would still see A as A even though it was publicly displayed as B, and this is why no one else can ever have 'A' as their new name, as it is perma-locked to the account that created it.

So why didnt Sony act on this sooner? Have they just recently discovered this way around it??

No, In all honesty they simply didnt care enough to do it, it isn't a major task, financially or otherwise, they just simply couldn't be bothered, but since (in my opinion) Xbox are starting to get their house very much in order and Sony can see this that they are now starting to do a few things too, albeit always a lot later than they could have done them.

Console competition keeps each format on its toes. Long may that continue.

Edited by CyberJapanGamer

On 10/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, Lance_87 said:

I'll change it if they guarantee 100% compatibility with old-gen content, both offline and multiplayer. Which is unlikely anyway, so screw it lol.

They already said it won’t be ? compatible. But ALSO aren’t very clear what happens when you “revert” back to your old PSN name. Do you lose the new name you changed too? @Playstation has been silent on this question since announcing name changes

• 3 weeks later...

Unless I can toss a ~ at the end, probably not. Can't remember if I tried that or not, I think it didn't allow that kind of character but it's been awhile. Or if the person who doesn't use the name I wanted... Elvick obviously, changes his name or something. But they don't seem to play much at all so I doubt it. I'm concerned how it really will affect older games though.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:58 PM, CyberJapanGamer said:

My honest feelings about Sony and PSN name changes.

Sony could have done this years ago. Many years ago.

They have known since forever that you cannot simply change your name on their server and thats it, but they did know that if you added a 'layer' onto any PSN account and then allowed that new layer to have a new name then this would work.

The PSN server would know that A = A even if A was changed to B. Everyone else would now see A as B, but PSN server would still see A as A even though it was publicly displayed as B, and this is why no one else can ever have 'A' as their new name, as it is perma-locked to the account that created it.

So why didnt Sony act on this sooner? Have they just recently discovered this way around it??

No, In all honesty they simply didnt care enough to do it, it isn't a major task, financially or otherwise, they just simply couldn't be bothered, but since (in my opinion) Xbox are starting to get their house very much in order and Sony can see this that they are now starting to do a few things too, albeit always a lot later than they could have done them.

Console competition keeps each format on its toes. Long may that continue.

I think you give Sony's team too much credit in how they built PSN. It's got a lot of problems. And... Sony was losing during the PS3 era so if it wasn't a "major task" and that Sony is only doing this to "win" they would've done it then. Shu said last gen that it would require a huge amount of work to do, just like fixing sub-accounts which they only just did earlier this generation. It was a matter of determining when to dedicate manpower to this specific issue, or new features because people always want new features too.

Edited by Elvick_

• 2 months later...

No. I was reading the manga Bunny Drop at the time I picked my PSN ID and Daikichi Kawachi is a character in the book. It certainly wouldn't be the username I would pick now and if I had been given the option to do so long ago, it would have changed probably countless times. But now I see it as a time capsule of that time and the fateful decision, few of us knew we were making. I would kind of miss it now.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Classic-DSP said:

There's really no reason to change it, i mean if you don't like your PSN name, you could just simply make another one.  I just don't see the point.

Yeah, there's just the small matter of losing all of your purchases, trophies, and everything else that comes along with starting fresh on a new account. That's just not a practical solution for anybody who's invested a lot of time and money into their accounts, so I don't understand why people keep bringing it up.

• Like 2