Thumper Bitching Thread... Or help thread? Maybe both

AiManiaTrophyhuntres

Hi... I started thumper after I tried the first 2 levels and almost immediately finished them with rank s so I thought it can't be that tough.

I was naive.

Fun fact in level 5. Almost everyone seem to have problems with the laser. But you don't have to do anything different for them so I had no problems from the beginning with it. My problem is something else:

There is a blue bow, followed by a red wall followed by several blue bows again. I know I have to 'jump'or press up to get the bow. And I know how to get a perfect curve. But I never ever get the bows after the curve since there is no new 'jumping point'

I managed a few times to get them but when I try again I can't do it again.

Everytime I think I know what button to press, the next time it won't work..

I thought I have to jump, press the direction against the curve like every curve and slide my finger back to the up button (i can't play with the stick it's to slow)

Sometimes that works but most of the time it doesn't.

Im so frustrated right now...

• Like 1

First of all, DO NOT GIVE UP ON THUMPER! It's a super awesome game and a great challenge through the frustration! 

I got the platinum a while ago, but I think I know what you're talking about. If you want to stay flying after a curve you need to perfect the tilt at the curve. If you do a regular tilt (regular timing) your flight will end, but as soon as you keep hitting perfect tiltings (there is a sharp metallic sound to them) you will stay in the air and collect the blue rings. 

You don't need to try any other thing, just time the tilt against the curve and hit a perfect one, you'll stay in the air ^_^ 

EDIT: I found this clip I uploaded when I was playing, you can actually hear the sound tilts make when they're perfectly timed on the first ones!

Edited by Omar
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Omar said:

First of all, DO NOT GIVE UP ON THUMPER! It's a super awesome game and a great challenge through the frustration! 

I got the platinum a while ago, but I think I know what you're talking about. If you want to stay flying after a curve you need to perfect the tilt at the curve. If you do a regular tilt (regular timing) your flight will end, but as soon as you keep hitting perfect tiltings (there is a sharp metallic sound to them) you will stay in the air and collect the blue rings. 

You don't need to try any other thing, just time the tilt against the curve and hit a perfect one, you'll stay in the air ^_^ 

Thank you so much! I thought of everything but this wasn't even near my ideas but explains a lot xD

If that's all I should manage to beat this level :)

• Like 1

Well today I felt like beating this game xD and while I decided to not s rank the levels for now to take the pressure out of it I used the coming levels to practice this flying thing. Around the end of level 7 I achieved for the first time to get all the blue bows in a sequence with 3 or 4 curves between them, Yay xD

Well and then the boss of level 7 happened and now I need a break ^^'

This creepy guy just kills me. I have to fly and than stamp on a thump for this power attack to break this silver find thing. but this time it's on another rail. Okay I managed to do that. But to top it, in the end there are 3 silver discs to break and a few very fast points to jump and stamp... Oh man xD

I think I know what to do but still...

Tough game so far.

I have my s rank until level 4, level 5 I screwed up bc I had to turn off the ps4 and it accidently saved after a checkpoint and couldn't go back later but now doing it without s rank since is really supporting the learning process...

• 9 months later...
On 10/13/2018 at 11:01 AM, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

Well today I felt like beating this game xD and while I decided to not s rank the levels for now to take the pressure out of it I used the coming levels to practice this flying thing. Around the end of level 7 I achieved for the first time to get all the blue bows in a sequence with 3 or 4 curves between them, Yay xD

Well and then the boss of level 7 happened and now I need a break ^^'

This creepy guy just kills me. I have to fly and than stamp on a thump for this power attack to break this silver find thing. but this time it's on another rail. Okay I managed to do that. But to top it, in the end there are 3 silver discs to break and a few very fast points to jump and stamp... Oh man xD

I think I know what to do but still...

Tough game so far.

I have my s rank until level 4, level 5 I screwed up bc I had to turn off the ps4 and it accidently saved after a checkpoint and couldn't go back later but now doing it without s rank since is really supporting the learning process...

I just finished the game last night, but no S Rank on all of them yet.

My gosh, I was totally in the zone. Levels 7, 8 and 9 are RIDICULOUSLY INSANE! My X thumb is SOOOO numb and sore this morning.

I know exactly what you mean above by the level 7 boss. When I first saw that, I was like what the hell. I'm supposed to jump and change lanes and thump at the same time. Thought it would be impossible, but I eventually did it. I have no idea how I am going to be S ranking this, but I will give it a shot.

I never thought I would get through all of the levels, but last night started from the beginning and powered through all the levels in PSVR. Told myself to forget about the S ranks for now and will do them later.

I had a blast doing this, it was so intense at time, I did not know how I even got through them. Even when I went to bed last night, I kept having flashes in my mind of all the levels and I was trying to play them in my sleep.

Edited by DysectorZA
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DysectorZA said:

My gosh, I was totally in the zone. Levels 7, 8 and 9 are RIDICULOUSLY INSANE! My X thumb is SOOOO numb and sore this morning.

I know exactly what you mean above by the level 7 boss. When I first saw that, I was like what the hell. I'm supposed to jump and change lanes and thump at the same time. Thought it would be impossible, but I eventually did it. I have no idea how I am going to be S ranking this, but I will give it a shot.

I never thought I would get through all of the levels, but last night started from the beginning and powered through all the levels in PSVR. Told myself to forget about the S ranks for now and will do them later.

I had a blast doing this, it was so intense at time, I did not know how I even got through them.

It's a fantastic game, for sure :) I had a blast playing this. Level 7 is probably my favorite one :D

If you really wanna go for S-ranks... playing in VR is already a good step. I played the first 2 worlds without VR and then switched (bought my VR right then), and I think it makes a big difference. Other than that, my approach was to replay any subsection until getting S-rank. That way you only need to know what's coming for the next 2-3 minutes. 

Good luck.. and more importantly, have fun! :D

Edited by Arcesius

Just now, Arcesius said:

It's a fantastic game, for sure :) I had a blast playing this. 

If you really wanna go for S-ranks... playing in VR is already a good step. I played the first 2 worlds without VR and then switched (bought my VR right then), and I think it makes a big difference. Other than that, my approach was to replay any subsection until getting S-rank. That way you only need to know what's coming for the next 2-3 minutes. 

Good luck.. and more importantly, have fun! :D

That's exactly how I S Ranked levels 1, 2 and 3. I just kept restarting the sub level check point each time or the previous checkpoint, but I didn't want to do that for the entire game as I knew it would have been impossible or irritating doing a level over and over again until I got the S Rank. But now I will give it a go and see how I manage.

Also been playing the + levels as well which are a slight challenge, but at least no trophies tied to them.

I’ll just list my personal experience of platting the game without any VR at all. 

It’s not unusual to start out the game and feel like some of the later levels are an unclimbable wall. It’s okay if you’re not immediately able to S-rank everything as long as you stay confident that you eventually will be. Pattern memorization and building up muscle memory are two things that our brains are actually quite good at and you will be surprised at how quickly you’ll be completing tasks that you thought to be extremely difficult before.

I think it’s also important to keep in mind that Thumper is a very mentally demanding game. It requires 100% of your attention almost all of the time and this can be quite tiring. For this reason i personally mostly stuck to shorter playing sessions. This helps with keeping the game from being overly frustrating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DysectorZA said:

I had a blast doing this, it was so intense at time, I did not know how I even got through them. Even when I went to bed last night, I kept having flashes in my mind of all the levels and I was trying to play them in my sleep.

Well done, I totally know what you mean, I always dream of games like this bc my brain seems to need some time to process it xD 

I still have to finish it - Thanks for the reminder!!

After my long break now I should be able to beat it, This game is so intense and so great I don't want to leave it unfinished^^

4 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

Well done, I totally know what you mean, I always dream of games like this bc my brain seems to need some time to process it xD 

I still have to finish it - Thanks for the reminder!!

After my long break now I should be able to beat it, This game is so intense and so great I don't want to leave it unfinished^^

I would suggest you start it again from the beginning just as a refresher. I had played Thumper a while ago (January 2018) and got up to the end of level 4 but never completed it because it was too hard. Decided to get back into it but started from scratch and I powered through the whole game in one sitting in about 8 hours.

Also played the game in VR so that was an experience.

Alternatively just to the level before as a refresher.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DysectorZA said:

I would suggest you start it again from the beginning just as a refresher. I had played Thumper a while ago (January 2018) and got up to the end of level 4 but never completed it because it was too hard. Decided to get back into it but started from scratch and I powered through the whole game in one sitting in about 8 hours.

Also played the game in VR so that was an experience.

Alternatively just to the level before as a refresher.

Well at least I will play from the first level with this curves I have to fly though I had so much trouble with that.

I always play in VR, when I tried to play it in TV I noticed that I wasn't able to hit the  thumps right like the timing was completely off and everything seems contorted.

Wish me luck xD

@AiManiaTrophyhunting

" with this curves I have to fly though I had so much trouble with that " => If you talk about the curves where you need to be up and take them perfectly to keep being up to get this blue curves at top, those are not needed to get S rank :)

Obviously it gives you a little extra if you can get them, but definitely not an obligation to S rank the game ;)

51 minutes ago, seblegamer said:

@AiManiaTrophyhunting

" with this curves I have to fly though I had so much trouble with that " => If you talk about the curves where you need to be up and take them perfectly to keep being up to get this blue curves at top, those are not needed to get S rank :)

Obviously it gives you a little extra if you can get them, but definitely not an obligation to S rank the game ;)

Okay?

I don't understand that. when I remember correctly there are a lot moment where I have to get them just make sure to do everything else right...

and I never got an S rank when I missed them. Well I will just try again and experiment a bit xD

Thanks^^

22 minutes ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

Okay?

I don't understand that. when I remember correctly there are a lot moment where I have to get them just make sure to do everything else right...

and I never got an S rank when I missed them. Well I will just try again and experiment a bit xD

Thanks^^

It's better to master the combo thing, where you "jump" and go down on an other "button" which make a little explosion and make the track move (don't know how to call all of this, but you should get it if you played the game XD)

After doing a few in a row, there is like a multiplier applied, and it give you huge points, and then you have S rank even if you miss some "buttons" ^^

When you fail and loose your wings, doing those combo will give them back btw ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

Well at least I will play from the first level with this curves I have to fly though I had so much trouble with that.

I always play in VR, when I tried to play it in TV I noticed that I wasn't able to hit the  thumps right like the timing was completely off and everything seems contorted.

Wish me luck xD

Also had lots of trouble with the blue rings you have to fly through. I missed most of them in my normal playthrough, but from level 4 onwards, you need to get all of them for an S rank.

I tried last night to go for my S rank level 4 and got stuck on 4-8. Even though I got all the thumps, I still wasn't able to get the S rank because I think I missed all the blue rings and did not hit all the corners on perfect timing. So will have to give it a try again sometime, but I think I'm really going to struggle with the later levels, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all S ranks, but I'll give it a try.

Edited by DysectorZA

32 minutes ago, DysectorZA said:

Also had lots of trouble with the blue rings you have to fly through. I missed most of them in my normal playthrough, but from level 4 onwards, you need to get all of them for an S rank.

I tried last night to go for my S rank level 4 and got stuck on 4-8. Even though I got all the thumps, I still wasn't able to get the S rank because I think I missed all the blue rings and did not hit all the corners on perfect timing. So will have to give it a try again sometime, but I think I'm really going to struggle with the later levels, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all S ranks, but I'll give it a try.

As I said, you don't need all blue rings to get S rank !

You need close to all the thumps (sometimes if you miss 1 or 2 you can still have S rank).

The difference to get it "easily" is to focus to not just press "X" on thumps, but try to fly from one and go down on the next one ... doing it in succession give you a lot of points, and make S rank easier !

Of course try to get as many perfect turn as you can !

And as much blue rings as you can, but you can miss some of them with no problem !

Really focus on those combo is the key for this game ;)

EDIT : Not sure if it's easy to get what i mean so here is an example => in this video, just check the beginning, the guy fly from first thump and go down on second one, this is the key on this game ! Do it a lot in a row without failing will give you huge points ;)

And when you do it against a boss, if you touch the boss at first try, you have a bonus thump, but if you do it with this combo, it will grant you 2 thumps ! And with those thumps, you can do the combo again => Maximum points ^^

@DysectorZA If you really have issues with level 4 S rank, try to watch a video !

If you don't find one, i can try to do one from a dummy account ;)

Edited by seblegamer
  • Like 1

Thank you I totally get what you mean. I usually don't fly from thump to thump, I will learn that! If this grants more points I understand how you can miss the flying  curve things. My way I only got S rank by hitting everything perfectly without a miss, one missed thump killed my s rank that way. good to know, thanks again

Edited by AiManiaTrophyhunting
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, seblegamer said:

EDIT : Not sure if it's easy to get what i mean so here is an example => in this video, just check the beginning, the guy fly from first thump and go down on second one, this is the key on this game ! Do it a lot in a row without failing will give you huge points ;)

And when you do it against a boss, if you touch the boss at first try, you have a bonus thump, but if you do it with this combo, it will grant you 2 thumps ! And with those thumps, you can do the combo again => Maximum points ^^

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. Thump fly up and thump down hard on the next thump. I always found that really difficult. I do try to do it as often as possible, but it gets so fast later on that I just try and focus on the normal thumps and turns.

I guess I just have to start perfecting the those big thumps from level 4 onwards, as I saw in the trophy guides that big thumps are absolutely necessary for S rank from levels 5 onwards.

This guy explains it well enough for level 1-1 to get high scores and obviously an S rank.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Exactly I agree with everything said here on the thread. 

I’m playing the game at the moment on the PS5 and so much fun, demanding at times yeah but feels so awesome when you nail a curve, thump or anything in between.

I actually recorded my run on level 6 and 7 final boss and it’s was crazy fun. 

Can’t wait to play more later, getting there xD 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, AiManiaTrophyhuntres said:

I'm happy to announce that I did it :D Thanks for all the help here. It was soome time ago to be honest but I remembered this thread today xD

Congrats ! ^^

It's the kind of game which look very hard at first, but after a few games when you get how it works, it's actually not that hard ^^

I think most people don't give this game enough time to really mastering it and enjoy it :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright for me this game is tough as nails, thanks to my poor reaction time, but so far I’ve been scraping through it.

I’m currently stuck on 6-19 for two hours and can someone explain why the hell this isn’t an S rank?

If I compare it with the S rank video in the guide he even takes damage. It’s even a B rank. I don’t quite see where I can improve much here...

Edit:

Shit. Because I recorded this video I’m now starting at 6-20 with no turning back to 6-19 which has the B rank. Now I can play through all the levels again. That was so stupid ?.

Edited by Baker
  • Like 3