Do you pre-order games? (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

Pre ordering games for me is ultra rare, I've done it 3 times in the last 10 years at the most I think with the Biochock remasters (BECAUSE I NEEDED IT!!!!!!), Crash Bandicoot remasters and Dying Light.  Most games I'm happy to just hold off getting them for a few months until they hit the sale or they have the GOTY version with all dlcs included.  Resident Evil 2 I'm sersiously considering getting ASAP for sure as I have so much love and nostalgia for that beauty.

Nope, it's not worth it in my opinion. As others pointed out before, it is just a better and a smarter use of your money to wait for the game to eventually drop in price, get its glitches and other inconsistencies ironed out and for a more complete edition of it to come out a later time. Honestly, even before money was a major concern for me, pre-ordering games or just getting them brand new at release was hardly worth it. It is understandable for games that are on short print runs and even some select Nintendo titles that you know they usually go up in pricing over time but, for everything else, not really.

Nowadays, I rarely ever paid more than $15 for any game, whether new or used.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 6:27 AM, jrdemr said:

No. For several reasons:

• The more you wait before buying, the more the price decreases.
  • The more you wait before buying, the more chances you'll have that a Game of the Year edition will all the DLC will come along, making you save even more.
  • The more you wait before buying, the more resources there are online for you to use whenever you're stuck or just want to know more effective ways of progressing.
  • The more you wait before buying, the bigger the chance that all those nasty bugs and glitches will have been ironed out.
  • Too many games in my backlog for me to care about the most recent thing on the shelves.
  • There's no actual need for you to pre-order games. Maybe in the 90's, when gaming wasn't the huge craze it is today, but now, with digital distribution and tons of different online stores... stuff never actually goes out of print. It's just pointless.

Horizon Zero Dawn and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt are both great examples of how if you wait a year you can save yourself $30 - 60 of your cash by getting a Game of the Year edition with all DLC. 

Something as ridiculous and idiotic as buying the Gold or Ultimate Edition of Assassins Creed Odyssey just to play it a few days ahead of the official release date, as a lot of people did a few weeks ago is just sad. Of course Ubisoft is a prime example of a company that likes to put a lot of crap into their games and those gamers who preorder will get a bonus, even more so if they buy the Ultimate Edition which is over $120 on the Playstation Store.

Then of course people are quick to forget and in a month or two from now it will be old news. 

A bit late I know but wanted to still get my 2 cents in here. 

There came a point where I stopped pre-ordering. A good chuck of games today usually have a Limited Edition or Day 1 edition well after launch. I got the launch edition of Final Fantasy XV well after a year it launched for $30 and this wasn't ebay but a retail store. GameStop burned me quite a few times on pre-order extras like an extra kick pedal for Guitar Hero Metallica to only have 2 total in stock when the game launched. So it was a stupid way just to entice pre-orders if not everyone will get the extra item. Same exact thing for one of the Dragonball games that came with a steel book but only if pre-ordered from GameStop. But again, they had such a low inventory of them that not all people who pre-ordered would get it. 

Amazon was the best place to pre-order for a while until recently this year. They actually gave prime members a 20% discount of retail price including special/collectors editions. That was great getting a $60 game for about $40. For Forza Motorsports 7, I was going to pre-order to get the exclusive car but instead I pre-orderd from Amazon and payed about $25-$30 less than I would of at GameStop and get no guarantee I would get the exclusive hot wheel sized car. But Amazon changed that perk earlier this year to a different promotion and its not as good as the discount was. 

Lastly, when games entice access to extra content, it feels better if you only get that item if you pre-order like the in-game guitar for Brutal Legend or those unique items for Infamous 2 and Ratchet and Clank if you pre-ordered at 1 of 4 specific retailers. Most games today will usually have special pre-order items come out as DLC to purchase for all to buy so now it doesn't feel as special or unique, you just got to use it a little early and didn't really need to pre-order it. 

• 4 years later...