WARNING! Message exploit causing console bricking

MidnightDragon

I doubt we'd ever see anything like this happen on Xbox... How could Sony really fuck up their network so much that receiving a message causes you to have to factory reset your console? I have made my messages as "friends only" for now, but surely it should be patched out immediately and they should look more into the messages to make sure shit like this can never happen again. 

• Like 1

I believe I remember seeing something like this on Apple iPhones. Using some special characters not typically in the alphabet and only found on certain devices confuses the phone to the point it crashes. 

Edit: Related article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2018/02/16/iphone-bug-telugu-unicode-ios-mac-text-bomb/amp/

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 2

Not sure if this is related, a couple of my friends managed to get hacked this past week, their profiles then created a mass group which spams links about free $50 notes/coupons (it was something along those lines). Neither my console or android bricked but maybe it's something else to look out for. It's probably common but it's the first time I've seen it since I created my account almost four years ago. 

My settings have always been set to friends only, and even then you have to be careful sometimes. So I decided to block my two friends to make sure I'm safe, if they're reading this...sorry guys :lol: 

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

How could Sony really fuck up their network so much that receiving a message causes you to have to factory reset your console?

TL;DR version of this would be that handling text is really tricky in general because of historical reasons, different characters sets and different encodings. Might not be even related to Sony's own code but rather a 3rd party library or something else.

https://github.com/minimaxir/big-list-of-naughty-strings

• Like 2