WARNING! Message exploit causing console bricking

MidnightDragon

I changed my message settings to friends only until they fix this.

Friend requests can have accompanying text as well right? A lot of people use it to tell me where I met them or for what game they want to boost. So technically, I think I am still vulnerable unless I disallow all friend requests for the time being. Unless this bug is specific to the message system and not the friend request one. Anyone know if that is the case?

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

17 hours ago, Nuttro93 said:

FYI, people can still send messages via friend requests. It's supposedly a Unicode bug.

It's true, but don't you have to open the friend request in order to see the related message? Should you get a friend request notification, it would be enough to open it from the app, and see what it is. Messages on the other hand are previewed in the notification itself, so it's enough to receive them to "brick" the console.

15 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Oddly enough I just opened back up my messages for all a week or so ago and instantly got a message from a random. I noticed at least 10 of my "friends" befriended this bot. It's a trap guys! Guess it's time to close messaging from strangers again! Thxs SONY!

Hide contents

wsSDRmT.png

Me and a friend got a friend request from an account like this at the exact same time last night - one difference though, the name of the profile was "girl341415" xD 

Just configure your messages settings to 'Private', through Settings > Account Management > Privacy Settings > Personal Info > Messaging.But if PS4 is already hit by this messaging bug, just boot in safe mode as it helps clean up the hard drive and re organise system data or least repair could be a factory reset.

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Sounds like you know about this from experience. :D

Not me personally! LOL. 

But I did watch a former coworker send tens of thousands to a girlfriend he never met. 

And in my experience most genuine female gamers tend to keep a lower profile. Safer that way. Sad sign of the times. 

So people this blatant are generally guys. 

Edited by SolarCat02
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

Excuse me if at this point it's a very dumb question but, how do you delete messages individually on ps4?

On ps3 is ridiculously easy, but here it's like kill the whole conversation.

I don't have FR but random unknown messages.

You can only leave conversations on the ps4 AFAIK

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Champ147 said:

Another key note, if you have the PS app on your phone. You can check to see if this message exists on your account and delete it off your account from your phone. By doing this, and never actually having to even turn on the console, you can completely avoid any hassle and eliminate the threat. 

Good to know, thanks. I prefer the phone app anyway as I can actually type a sentence in less than 5 minutes.

17 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

You can only leave conversations on the ps4 AFAIK

Yeah, thanks, the only option I found was leave conversation. It's the first time trying to delete. So I wasn't sure if my console got a virus lol

Edited by GoldenShaka
  • Like 1