Starlink Trophy Thoughts

3 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

i heard them saying you can 100% the game without the toys, is that true?

I would say yes because if you check the trophy list I dont see anything that would require the toys there.

I also checked their homepage and found this:

Q. Can I play Starlink: Battle for Atlas without the modular toys (digital only)?
A. Yes. The modular toys are not required. Each starship, pilot, and weapon in Starlink: Battle for Atlas is available for purchase in physical and digital formats. All Starter Pack physical starships, weapons, and pilots are permanently unlocked digitally as well.

Additionally, all physical toys unlock their digital counterparts for a period of time when connected via the controller mount, letting you play how you want, when you want

12 hours ago, Maaden_Swe said:

I would say yes because if you check the trophy list I dont see anything that would require the toys there.

I also checked their homepage and found this:

Q. Can I play Starlink: Battle for Atlas without the modular toys (digital only)?
A. Yes. The modular toys are not required. Each starship, pilot, and weapon in Starlink: Battle for Atlas is available for purchase in physical and digital formats. All Starter Pack physical starships, weapons, and pilots are permanently unlocked digitally as well.

Additionally, all physical toys unlock their digital counterparts for a period of time when connected via the controller mount, letting you play how you want, when you want

thanks, was so interested to the skylander's games but them toys are too expensive! i thought this will be similar, and I don't feel like collection these figures like a ten year old ( no offense to the adults whose collecting them )

Edited by yellowwindow7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

thanks, was so interested to the skylander's games but them toys are too expensive! i thought this will be similar, and I don't feel like collection these figures like a ten year old ( no offense to the adults whose collecting them )

The digital version even has a whole bunch of the pilots, starships and weapons already so it's cheaper too.

Personally, I've bought the Switch version, physically, it has Fox McCloud and the Arwing, which is insanely cool. The pack just arrived and it's very well made, nice and sturdy.

As an adult who collects statuettes, LEGO, model kits and more, it always seems so random to me as to what people think of as toys "for kids" and what would be acceptable for adults. Collect whatever the hell you feel like collecting. I don't see why my LEGO Slave I and my Schleich Gigantosaurus should be any more for kids and less for adults than my Titanic model kit and my Ezio Auditore statuette.

Edited by Kassandra
typo
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kassandra said:

The digital version even has a whole bunch of the pilots, starships and weapons already so it's cheaper too.

Personally, I've bought the Switch version, physically, it has Fox McCloud and the Arwing, which is insanely cool. The pack just arrived and it's very well made, nice and sturdy.

As an adult who collects statuettes, LEGO, model kits and more, it always seems so random to me as to what people think of as toys "for kids" and what would be acceptable for adults. Collect whatever the hell you feel like collecting. I don't see why my LEGO Slave I and my Schleich Gigantosaurus should be any more for kids and less for adults than my Titanic model kit and my Ezio Auditore statuette.

Nice, I'm glad to hear that the models are good. My set is at Best Buy waiting to be picked up, but it doesn't come out until tomorrow so that's when I'll be picking it up. I've never tried to pick up games prior to release, and I sometimes wait a day or two to pick up even when I preorder. I have such a backlog that I only rush out to the store when I'm really excited for the game.

I agree about collectibles. I'm not a collector, but I think it's silly when people get caught up on things being "for kids" or not. I played some more LABO Variety Kit on Switch with my daughter this past weekend, and I had as much fun as she did.

Also, as a last note, kudos to Ubisoft for their more "generous" approach to toys-to-life. Part of that decision was no doubt economical, based on previous toys-to-life systems failing, but it's still a good move for consumers. That last part about unlocking the digital counterpart sounds like it will make playing in handheld mode more feasible, so I'm glad to see that.

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Nice, I'm glad to hear that the models are good. My set is at Best Buy waiting to be picked up, but it doesn't come out until tomorrow so that's when I'll be picking it up. I've never tried to pick up games prior to release, and I sometimes wait a day or two to pick up even when I preorder. I have such a backlog that I only rush out to the store when I'm really excited for the game.

... Actually, I ordered directly through Ubisoft and they shipped early :)

Got Assassin's Creed Odyssey a few days early too that way. And both times with an extra goodie (a necklace with "Greek coin" for Odyssey, a - for now - pre-order exclusive pilot for Starlink.

I've gotten messages from stores to pick up a pre-order early a bunch of times. Especially Ubisoft used to be cool about this, for instance I got Assassin's Creed Black Flag almost a week in advance. That they didn't do this for Unity was, in hindsight, a red flag.

17 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, as a last note, kudos to Ubisoft for their more "generous" approach to toys-to-life. Part of that decision was no doubt economical, based on previous toys-to-life systems failing, but it's still a good move for consumers. That last part about unlocking the digital counterpart sounds like it will make playing in handheld mode more feasible, so I'm glad to see that.

I think you get the digital counterparts for about a week or so if you're playing through the physical stuff, so it shouldn't be too much of a bother. Early signs for Starlink have been good - just over ten hours for a quick story playthrough, with lots more side content. After the massive Assassin's Creed Odyssey, with Valkyria Chronicles 4 almost untouched , with Hitman 2 on the way and with Red Dead Redemption II's pre-order cancelled because I got nervous about all the games I had left to play and I needed to make a sacrifice, I'm even more glad than usual with quality over quantity.

Depending on how cool the game is, I might just do the story and Star Fox stuff on the Switch, then double dip on PS4 for the 100%, as the drawback of getting Star Fox on the Switch is that we can't get the base game ship (which I think is the coolest non-Arwing ship in the game) physically.

1 hour ago, Kassandra said:

personally it's ok to me when it comes to getting a figure or two of your favorite anime, cartoon, movies or video game characters and put it on my games shelf.. though only the characters you're fan off maybe since childhood or something, but getting more of them for stuff or characters you're not a fan off and other you didn't ask for then gather them up in front of you to use them in the game your playing is just not my cup of tea.

speaking of adults and what's not, there are figures of all size that made for all ages and not just for kids... some are not even suitable to kids, it could be a bloody figure from a horror movie or a game or it could be a figure of this specific female character of an anime/game made for adults. there's even adults that their hobby is to collect old and new children's toys and I respect them..... i'm an artist and I love to do some drawing of my favorite childhood cartoons. 

The 'toys to life' aspect was a huge turn off for me initially but looking at reviews, it seems the toys aren't required. So i'm more interested now. Though i may still wait for a price drop with Red Dead right around the corner. But it depends on the price of this. I'll look on the psn store later today.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I own this Digitally for PS4 and Physically and Digital add-ons for Switch (I mean you get a freaking Arwing of course I got the physical for that ?)

But honestly I wish they released the game at a different time. It's quite fun and a good change of pace from all the other Space Sim games that focus more on the hardcore player crowd. (Coming from someone who grew up playing the X Series it was definitely a nice breather not having a space sim that requires constant attention for hours on end.) Also they released a free expansion and that was cool. Sadly we probably won't see anything else with how poor the sales are. I hope they bring back this series though without the toys.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...