Why is COD DLC permanently expensive?

Hvalpen

I have a bunch of COD plats where i feel like it would be nice to get 100%, but the DLC is constantly permanently expensive. DLC for Modern Warfare 2+3 or Ghosts? Same price as WW2 DLC. How does this even make sense? Was this ever explained? As in why prices never dropped.

• Like 3

Yeah I feel exactly the same as you; it would be nice to get 100% but I'm not paying £40, £15 to £20 when on sale for each game on maps when I can get a new relatively recent game for less than that. I've seen IW for £7 and WW2 for £10 yet their dlc costs 2-5 times as much. It's ridiculous.

It's a shame. They don't even seem to fluctuate with sales. There may be no incentive for Activision to lower the prices, but there's nowhere near enough incentive to warrant a purchase from me!

I think it was two months ago that I sought out MW3 DLC in the Australian PSN store:

- MW3 digital: $13.50

- MW3 DLCs 1, 2 and 3: $21 EACH. 

The DLCs contain TWO spec ops missions each!

It almost makes me think that they have been forgotten, but I don't doubt that Activision have a parabolic formula where they balance price against the consumer's will to purchase... the current price is probably just in the sweet spot for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

The same reason why PSP games are still full retail price on the store, there's no incentive to reduce the price. Especially for digital only as there's no other way to get it

Vita game has rarely ever (if ever) gone on sale too. I remember they did a Call of Duty theme sale a few years back and some of the PSP games were on sale, but not the Vita one. lol and that was one of the few $50 games too.

Activision is just not great.

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

While COD DLC is overpriced, I think the better question is why DLC, in general, does not lower its price. I find it hard to believe that game studios and publishers are not shooting themselves in the foot by keeping their DLC prices at a fixed price. I look at games that are 10 years old and their DLC is still full price, which usually ends up more expensive than the game itself.

Great comment :)

That has been my main concern with DLC for quite some time now. I'm not particularly fond of getting a piece of extra digital content added to my game in the first place but the thing that baffles me the most is how ridicoulous it is priced for old games. I mean, why would I pay $15 for a couple of extra maps on X game when I could get around 2-3 used full games with that same amount of money? I can understand the DLC having that price after the release of the game, when it is still new and on its prime but for it to keep its same price even years after release, it makes no sense. Not to mention that they rarely go on sale at all.

Weren't we told that digital distribution would help in making the price of content cheaper? There have been many new iterations of CoD released to the public since MW2 and 3 so I doubt there is really such a high demand of DLC for the old games, so why keep the prices high?

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

While COD DLC is overpriced, I think the better question is why DLC, in general, does not lower its price. I find it hard to believe that game studios and publishers are not shooting themselves in the foot by keeping their DLC prices at a fixed price. I look at games that are 10 years old and their DLC is still full price, which usually ends up more expensive than the game itself.

I've pondered this myself. My only thought is that DLC speaks to big fans of the game, but if you're that big of a fan of the game, you'll pay whatever they ask whenever they ask.

I waited months hoping the MW3 DLC packs would drop in price from £11.55 each and I never caught them drop once. I ended up buying a Gold Edition code from somewhere just under £30... still cheaper than buying each one I guess. I think the older ones didn't come with Season Passes so I think they stopped giving a damn about them. I got the BO2 Season Pass pretty cheap

On 10/18/2018 at 9:07 AM, sepheroithisgod said:

I was going to say the same thing. DLC for any game rarely falls in price. And to top it off, over the last year and a half, sales for DLC have dropped dramatically in favor of pushing Gold/Deluxe/Complete/Ultimate Editions in sales. 

But in COD's case it's a pedestal game for casuals...there's many many MANY people out there who pay an arm and a leg for the DLC and don't think twice about it...they know this. In their eyes they have no reason to lower the price. 

Edited by Viper

I remember getting the ghosts collectors edition for $50, the one with the camera. Which means I got the full game, season pass, and other shit for the price of the season pass. You can actually get the hardened edition here for the price of the season pass now though. (Assuming the pass is still $50)

Prices on digital stuff is just silly sometimes.

https://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Ghosts-Hardened-PlayStation-4/dp/B00EEMLMW0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540098727&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cod+ghosts&dpPl=1&dpID=51zhvFAJkOL&ref=plSrch

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I was going to say the same thing. DLC for any game rarely falls in price. And to top it off, over the last year and a half, sales for DLC have dropped dramatically in favor of pushing Gold/Deluxe/Complete/Ultimate Editions in sales. 

But in COD's case it's a pedestal game for casuals...there's many many MANY people out there who pay an arm and a leg for the DLC and don't think twice about it...they know this. In their eyes they have no reason to lower the price. 

Yeah, call of duty has been the no 1 franchise for a while now(maybe fortnite is more popular nowadays but that game is one game thats meant to last for as long as its profitable while cod releases yearly and has 3 different developers who have radically enough differences in approach to split the fanbase into dfferent camps) and theres still tons of people who only play that one game and nothing else. And theres people who only like the treyarch but not the infinity ward and/or sledgehammer(or any combination of the 3 devs) and thats probably why the dlc never drops in price